• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake: Proud maker of giant metal phalluses/water coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aphex_Tom_9 said:
ive really lost my respect for them...
how do they get away with this $h*t!?
my same thoughts. i would never buy that.... zalman's looks better too IMO.

because in taiwan duplicating is the way to compete. There is no creative, only duplicator. You know the big man in taiwan you can get away with anything

lol - teh aluminum thermal schlong. I was afraid to click the "enlarged view" button...

Ah, these Thermaltake coolers :)
Topic really describes that "teh new innovative cooling solution". I've got no idea if Tharmal-rip-off should be remembered for copying stuff or being funny.
Great post, deathBOB :clap:
Thermaltake - the proud owner of "the biggest one" on planet.

weapon said:
lol - teh aluminum thermal schlong. I was afraid to click the "enlarged view" button...

LMAO........a man that has learned from experience.....lol ;)

creepy said:
What a joke. I never knew that water+uv dye+whatever was a "high performance coolant".

Water itself is pretty high performance coolant; they could even pee to it. With shape of this cooler that would be pretty logical - beware! :D If someone managed to make urine glow in UV light, potential buyers have reasons to worry :D

And weapon - I second that :clap:

Last edited:
Well just because ripping on TT is fun I'll throw my hat into the game.

"Coolant: High performance coolant with functions of water quality steadying, water scale reducing, anti-freezing and anti-rusting"

while all of this is subject to jab, I'm most interested in the last part. Exactly which part in the copper/aluminum/acrylic setup is the anti-rusting a benefit? Coulda sworn rust is one of the iron things... not often found in WC setups.

Spartacus51 said:

"Coolant: High performance coolant with functions of water quality steadying, water scale reducing, anti-freezing and anti-rusting"

while all of this is subject to jab, I'm most interested in the last part. Exactly which part in the copper/aluminum/acrylic setup is the anti-rusting a benefit? Coulda sworn rust is one of the iron things... not often found in WC setups.

There's copper oxidation in water rigs. If you mix metals with different potentials, there's even more of it. They used alu radiator and copper water block - that would result in some serious oxidation, if there's no anti-rust stuff.

As big part of water rigs has only copper and plastic, this problem is seriously minimized. Copper / brass mixing is pretty safe too. Mixing copper and alu in one part is a BAD idea. They might appear in spearate parts, but only with water addictives that prevent oxidation. This problem may appear for people who use car radiators, as they're made of aluminum. So there might appear some tarnish on metal parts, when there's no prevention.

Last edited:
Spartacus51 said:

True that, but don't tell them I'm sure they'd like to retain this product's prodigious resistance to rust as a key selling point. Particularly since it has so few other selling points.

Now if you'll excuse me I've been putting off de-rusting my water cooling setup for quite long enough. :p

Alacritan said:
Holy crap. Doesn't anyone patent their designs anymore? Zalman, Cooler Master, ASUS even...and the thing is, people on this very forum STILL buy TT crap. I can't imagine that Reserator ripoff will perform half as well as the real deal. I wonder if the inside of it is even annodized?

there isn't much there that they could get a valid, good patent on.

like, what would they have patented from using the reservoir as a passive radiator? it had been done publicly wayyyy before zalman got into doing it so there would have flown that patent out. the looks aren't exact 1:1 either.

as to thermaltake.. they make stuff that posers want to buy for cheap - and they do it pretty well.

anyhow.. innovatek has their own 'reserator' as well, i don't know if it came before zalmans or not - http://www.innovatek.de/contentServ/3.0/www.innovatek.de/index.php?StoryID=767

and as to other points.. the fluid is to stop the corrosion in the system while being alu+copper. the thing isn't all bad but i guess the partyline is to bash tt for making stuff that lamers want to buy.

Practically everyone I know that's into water cooling uses a copper waterblock and yes <gasp> an aluminum radiator. Now being from an industrial electricity background, like many others, I'm well aware of the effects of using copper and aluminum in close proximity as in twisting copper and aluminum wires together long-term. Just the same in a water cooling setup the prevention of bacteria is of far greater concern IMO than any special reaction that will take place between your aluminum radiator and copper water block. It's a question of credibility, if they meant anti-corrosion they should've said so. Saying anti-rust sounds silly when you're talking about non-ferrous metals.

Last edited:
That innovatek thing looks way better than Zalman :clap:

TimoneX - agreed. There's some tarnish on copper, but that's not that iron rust. Tharmaltake only shows lack of professionalism.

I believe the innovatek thingy has been out for a while... Looks kinda nice, kinda like some industrial sculpture...

Is there a tutorial thingy to build your own water cooling system? I've been thinking about it, but don't really know the specifics... yes, I know I need blocks, pump, radiator and whatnot... is there a link or something? Thanks.

Passive Cooling is nothing new, so I can't say they ripped off the idea. But TT definately does go the looks over effectivness route on virtually all of their products (which does not say all their products looks good!).

It's mass marketing of performance type products which generaly results in a scaling down of the effectiveness of said product for a more user acceptable look, price, and or feel. This is true for virtually any product that is high performance peice of equipment. Take cars for example, technically you CAN go to WAL-MART and get some aftermarket acessories for your car. Good idea? Probably not, but hey, we are a society of give it to me now, make it look flashy, and tell me lots of buzz words so I feel good about my purchase.

Just be glad they don't make Chipsets....

Just imagine the TT BIOS.......

Back