• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalTake Volcano 12

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ricmm

Hey there, I post this message to check who has this hsf and check experiences?, do you recommend it? is it a good buy to cool down my barton 3000+ some degrees?. Currently my xp 3000+ with stock cooling runs at about 52 idle 59 full load, I was looking towards getting it below 45 full load, so that I can push the fsb a little up.

Well, opinions are welcome heh, thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS - personally, while the volcano12 is possibly the only thermaltake heatsink to actually work so far, id recomend you get a thermalright heatsink. What motherboard will you be putting it on? the sp97 is awesome, but alot more expensive than the volcano12 (at least in the uk - where in the world are you?), but an older thermalright model would be much cheaper and easily beat the volcano12.
my 3000+ is under an sp97 and runs 2.4ghz@ 27°c FULL load. with a thermalright youd be looking at mid 30°c ish load temps. Whatever you get put some arctic silver5 under your heatsink to make the most of whatever you choose. Just my opinion tho. If you want any links i can provide em.

Agreed, but the Thermaltake is NOT bad at all. The Volcano 12 is a really good heatsink in my opinion. I used it on my OC'ed rig & it performed quite well. I believe it reached 44ºC on full load & that was overclocked.

It all depends on your room tempature & case setup. But I don't think 45ºC or below that is asking to much at all out of the Thermaltake Volcano 12.

Oh well, but how much do a heatsink like the sp97, and just then, what fan would you recommend to sit on the top of it to get maxium cooling performance?

Note: The mobo is a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR nForce2 Ultra 400 based one

Hmm I just read about a Tornado 92mm fan (119cfm at 4800rpm) but it is a little noisy, though that can be fixed with a speed controller because I dont really need the whole cfm count, just around 60-70cfm.

The entire set would cost around 55+17+10=$82, now that is quiet a big amount of money, though with that my processor can run as low as 25 degrees heh, even overclocked if I put it at max speed.

$82 dollars for my country would be too much right now, taking in care the fact that there are no dollarized credit cards right now in here, but I will wait until I get some money and I will look for somebody who owns a dollarized credit card and get this baby.

By the way, has anyone tried this heatsink (thermalright sp97) on a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, do the capacitors interfere or bother the heatsink?

Bah no, just saw that I dont have the 4 bolt holes for the plastic base that the sp97 brings, I cannot use that heatsink, but I can still use the Volcano 12, so I guess I will buy that one because the total package doesnt excedes $40, perhaps $45 with shipping included.

So, going back to the Volcano specs, what are your guessings of temps I can get with an XP 3000+ oc'ed to 2.3 or 2.4 ghz (200*12), (2xx*11), still using stock voltage or perhaps a little increment.

I have a 2800 barton overcloked to 3200 speeds, 12.5 x 176 at 1.7v.

And i also decided to buy the vlcano 12, and i like the way it works. A little heavy but tis good. I like the fan controller, and all for 35 bucks!! You cant really beat it. But i live in arizona and it is very hot here lately. Getting into the 100's F BAH! I hate it, anyawys, my room is around 25-30C and so my case is around 30C on idle, and my cpu is around... 43-44C on idle. Not the best temps, but ive tried what i can besides lapping and putting a fan on the side of my heatsink. On loads, my case is 37C and cpu about 52-53C.

So im not sure what you would be looking at, i have a side panel fan, but it doesnt blow DIRECTLY on the cpu, more in the middle of the cpu and gpu.

Well my ambient temp is around that also, so perhaps I will get near by results to yours, and you are right, 35 bucks is one good price hehe. Also, those temps are not as ugly as the ones I get with the stock hsf (49-52c idle, 59-60c full load).

Lets see how far I can get with it, the idea is to touch at least 3200+ speed with 200mhz fsb and perhaps 2.3 - 2.4 ghz then raising the fsb a little bit.

And also i dont run my fan at full, if i did, it would lower it maybe 2-3 degrees. I cant stand the noise haha. I usually run it around 3500-3800 rpms. And that does a good job. I like it overall, but im planning on lapping it soon here. Id like to get my temps a little lower.

Hehe, actually I am used to noise here so it wont make a difference to run it at full speed :p. I guess I will go for it next week then, it is decided.

If you dont have the mounting sockets for a mobo mounted heatsink the best you can get is the Thermalright ALK-800. Its a new copper/aluminium heatsink and it gets some great reviews. Its better than the Volcano 12(and the SLK-800) and much lighter at around 400grams. The Volcano 12 is over 700grams :eek: So your talkin major stress on your CPU Socket(thats what puts me off getting it). The ALX-800 is only $23.95 too from sidewinder. A steal.

less tt *******g :p

i use a volcano9 at 3000rpm and my cpu idles at 40-41c

not really overclocked tho, just a barton 2500 at 200x10

Hmm it looks neat and more powerfull than the Volcano's heatsink even that it is made of aluminum fins but copper base against the all copper Volcano model.

Has someone tried it on a MSI K7N2 mobo?

What about temps for people in here with this heatsink, and what would be the most recommended fan

fac_29 said:
If you dont have the mounting sockets for a mobo mounted heatsink the best you can get is the Thermalright ALK-800. Its a new copper/aluminium heatsink and it gets some great reviews. Its better than the Volcano 12(and the SLK-800) and much lighter at around 400grams. The Volcano 12 is over 700grams :eek: So your talkin major stress on your CPU Socket(thats what puts me off getting it). The ALX-800 is only $23.95 too from sidewinder. A steal.

While I'm sure it's a great sink, I don't see how any aluminum sink can be better than a comparable all-copper sink. Yes, the V12 is heavy, you just have to be careful and not drop your computer... good advice regardless of which heatsink you have! ;) If you're not going to be packing your machine up and going to LAN parties, the V12 will be fine.

If I weren't running the V12, I would probably be running the SLK-900, since my MSI doesn't have mounting holes either. Given the choice, I would pay the extra money for an all-copper sink. Copper conducts heat better than aluminum, period. Arctic Silver is a must-have too.

VOLCANO 12

I have this heatsink and have overclocked my barton 2600+ to 2300mhz with load temps of 45 deg thats while running seti and and using my computer for other tasks as well. I dont run the fan at full speed all the time but i had 2 bend one capacitor on my gigabyte 7n 400 pro 2 board to fit it in. My case has very poor ventilation so i could prob reach under 45 deg with better ventilation.

Re: VOLCANO 12

Thats great, Static, do you think that the V12 can hold itself if the center plastic block that fits in the center clip hole had an accident and is now gone? hehe, at least I know the V12 fits.

By the way, a V11 Xaser edition holds itself pretty tight with the center plastic piece missing, so my guess is that the V12 would do so too.

fac_29 said:

$12.95 at jab-tech right now. :)

Yeah I already read those reviews, but it is impossible for me to get the thermalright hs because I am in Venezuela, and online dollar buys are restricted heh, so I must stick to something that I can find in my country, at the turn of the corner :p and as far as now the V12 is the best I have found :p.

Back