• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is the PC I got for free from a friend, is it truly worth keeping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Elmo, you also have the option of getting a higher end CPU for cheap off ebay. The one that's installed now is pretty low end and will make a pokey computing experience. I bet it would run with something like an E6850 which you can probably get for under $10. Would make a huge difference.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/275291/Hp-Compaq-Dc7800.html?page=35
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...104260&hash=item4b45a20eb6:g:~TcAAOSwX3FbF~5t

or even:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Intel-...119377&hash=item1cb142ad98:g:hlUAAOSw7XNbPnYw

Last edited:
I do want to learn how to use Linux. Whole reason for keeping this old junker. Here are some pics for ATMINSIDE, who asked about pictures. psuhp.jpg psuspecshp.jpg mainboardhp.jpg I don't know much about PSU's, but I'm sure this ones a POS.

That Psu looks like it is a non standard size. You might want to take measurements before replacement. It doesn't happen every time but I've had this issue with pre-built machines before. And +1 to using that machine for a Linux box. Have fun :D

You've got to hand it to HP, they sure know how to make a PC boring looking. It's not what I thought you had based on my google search. To get the PSU out you'll have to remove the 4 screws the press that detent up and slide the PSU back. There is a chance that a new PSU will not fit within the detent but I would not look at that as a problem. The detent is only to keep the PSU from sliding back and the screws should be enough for that. I'm still concerned that the motherboard connector may be proprietary.

Yeah, those boxes have a locking tab at the top edge of the PSU inside the case that you have to push down go slide the PSU forward and out after you remove the screws at the back. It does look like a proprietary size so you might just look at leaving it in there. It's a 365 watt unit so that should be plenty unless you install a high end video card. If you are going to use it as a Linux play box, I would avoid sinking much money into it as linux is less demanding of system resources than is Windows.

I remember finding a few of those junk boxes. For the life of me i couldn't figure out how to take the dam psu out. Mr. Crowbar helped a ton! :rofl:

Elmo, you also have the option of getting a higher end CPU for cheap off ebay. The one that's installed now is pretty low end and will make a pokey computing experience. I bet it would run with something like an E6850 which you can probably get for under $10. Would make a huge difference.

Don't know about compatibility or pricing, would a quad core from that era be an option in this system?

Here are some pics for ATMINSIDE, who asked about pictures.

Would it be possible to get a pick taken from further out so we can see the whole thing side on? Gives a bit more context as to what potential there is.

I don't think it looks unexpected. It is a cheap mass produced system built down to a price. You're not going to get top notch stuff, but they would have worked out exactly how little of everything they can get away with for something that works.

For graphics, it just depends on what you're looking for. I think that for this build, I'd stick with a card that has no power plug requirements. Radeon RX550 or Nvidia 1030 are both options for less than $100. There are even Nvidia 1030's with passive heat sinks if the case has enough air flow.

You can get new GTX 200 series for less than $40 all day long too. All of these prices are "new".

Be careful which GT 1030 you buy. Originally all came with 2 GB GDDR5 but now there are lots of 1030s with DDR4. These "budget" DDR4 versions run much slower than the GDDR5 versions

Don't know about compatibility or pricing, would a quad core from that era be an option in this system?

Would it be possible to get a pick taken from further out so we can see the whole thing side on? Gives a bit more context as to what potential there is.

I don't think it looks unexpected. It is a cheap mass produced system built down to a price. You're not going to get top notch stuff, but they would have worked out exactly how little of everything they can get away with for something that works.

Did you check the link on the CPU upgrade path for that computer that I included in the post (Post #22)? According to that, it would be compatible. That board has a TDP of 95W and all those CPUs in that chart fit that criteria and are supposed to work. But I would certainly flash the bios to the newest version first while the existing chip is in place.

Mackerel, heres a pic for ya. I looked at a quad core q9550 and according to gpuboss it is a 7.2 compared to this chip which is a 7.1 rating. sideopenhp.jpg

Is that the old/failed BTX standard? It looks like it to me. Dell seems to be bringing it back too on some of their stuff.

I think that the PSU in this rig is fine with any RAM/CPU and storage upgrades you want to do. I'm going to say for my final time ;) that I think any GPU that does not require a power cable be connected will make this a very nice Linux box with enough power to make it fun.

Yep, that's BTX. The top side of the motherboard faces right instead of left as you are looking at the computer from the front. You have to remove the right side case panel instead of the left to access the components. So an aftermarket ATX motherboard won't work in a BTX form factor case since the I/O ports on an aftermarket motherboard are at the bottom rear edge of the motherboard and not the top in a tower computer. That's essential to know and take note of since it will prevent an aftermarket board from being installed if you are trying to upgrade the motherboard.

Aside from the orientation of the I/O slots, the direction of the RAM slots is a give-away. It was designed for better air flow from front to back.

Yeah. You won't be able to upgrade the motherboard or case without upgradeing the other. Want a new case? You need a new motherboard. New motherboard? Need a new case.

However, since you aren't upgrading those things, this will be far more than good enough. It was only an observation. I would also use this knowledge to limit what I spend on parts for it knowing that if the board goes, so too does the case. A cheap 1030 even with GDDR4 will more than likely serve your needs to dable in Linux and keep costs WAY down.

Don't pour money into this project. It would only ruin the fun anyway. I would make part of the goal to keep cost as close to zero as you can and then see what Linux does on that.

Livin' on the edge.

befoer you buy a better cpu make sure it can handle a 1333mhz bus cpu which alot of the newer c2q's were, might be safest to grab a q6600

Back