• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts for a budget build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Looking at putting together a budget gaming build.
Use is 100% gaming.
The budget of $400 for cpu, mb, ram, and gpu (the rest will be hand-me-downs from myself).
The build needs to play modern titles on medium settings with 1080p resolution.
It also needs to be able to support a graphical update in the future. Depending if the guy the build is for really gets in to PC Gaming, we may look at a 5760x1080 screen setup with a much nicer gpu in the future. So I want to make sure whatever we go with can support that down the road.

This is my thought so far:
1) Go with a used Xeon (something like the e3-1231v3 or similar) and cheap h87 board. Seen a few of these right around $200 pop up from time to time. $50 gets me 16gb of mid-range ddr3 on ebay. That leaves about $150 for something like a gtx 970. Should be a decent rig with plenty of gpu upgrade room. Downside is no overclocking and older tech.
2) Go with a new Ryzen 5 1400 and a matching board, puts me at $200. With DDR4 prices, a $60 kit of 2x4gb is all that fits the budget. That leaves me again looking for a used gtx 970 under $150. I gain new tech and the ability to overclock, but loose out on the fact that Im at 8gb of ram instead of 16gb and the ryzen 5 1400 might be more of a bottleneck in the future with a substantial gpu upgrade.

Im really on the fence with this one. Any suggestions, changes, or other builds to recommend? With the limited budget, either option leaves right around $150 for gpu. Is a used gtx 970 the best bet in that range?

Might go this route, for gaming its prolly better than either of those 2.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P3ZJJV

The ram kit listed there is sold out so finding some good deals would be on you. Personally I would shoot for a 8350K and a Asrock Pro4 mb for about $80 more and you have a system that can OC and perform on par with a 7700K. Use onboard for a little bit and find a good deal on a 970 or 1050 Ti.

Used 3770k/4770k with z87/z97 mb (or even i5s) is what i would be looking for with 16g ram .

"we may look at a 5760x1080 screen setup with a much nicer gpu in the future" ouch going to need a Nice GPU

"we may look at a 5760x1080 screen setup with a much nicer gpu in the future" ouch going to need a Nice GPU

Yeah, that would be like 2 years down the road. Just want to make sure the cpu isnt going to be a major bottleneck to something like the 1080 ti in case he decides to do that down road.

Might go this route, for gaming its prolly better than either of those 2.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P3ZJJV

The ram kit listed there is sold out so finding some good deals would be on you. Personally I would shoot for a 8350K and a Asrock Pro4 mb for about $80 more and you have a system that can OC and perform on par with a 7700K. Use onboard for a little bit and find a good deal on a 970 or 1050 Ti.

Do you think the i3-8100 would be as good (or better) than the ryzen 5 1400?

Looking around, it also seems the $118 price point on that cpu is impossible to find. Combine that with no h370 or b350 boards, and the cheapest z370 at $100, and i think it's going to be out of budget.
Im thinking in the end I'll probably need to find the best pre-skylake cpu/mb I can in the $200 range. DDR3 will save me a good chunk of money to spend on the gpu.
With that in mind, will the older (haswell) i5's be good enough to not bottleneck a 1080 ti in gaming? Or should I really look for something like the 1231v3? While sticking with a 970ish type card for now, I want to keep the option of gpu upgrading on the table without a whole system rebuild next year.

Looking around, it also seems the $118 price point on that cpu is impossible to find. Combine that with no h370 or b350 boards, and the cheapest z370 at $100, and i think it's going to be out of budget.
Im thinking in the end I'll probably need to find the best pre-skylake cpu/mb I can in the $200 range. DDR3 will save me a good chunk of money to spend on the gpu.
With that in mind, will the older (haswell) i5's be good enough to not bottleneck a 1080 ti in gaming? Or should I really look for something like the 1231v3? While sticking with a 970ish type card for now, I want to keep the option of gpu upgrading on the table without a whole system rebuild next year.

I think the 4560K would do, as soon as the game doesn't use more than 4 threads.

Ivy start to shows its age though.

The CPU in sig ain't no bottleneck at all for my 1080ti. Whatever the resolution is. I think it will even still be good for Volta.

Thing is with the wide spread of 6cores+ CPU's, be it with AMD or Intel, dev will certainly take their fingers out of their a55 and start coding for more cores.

So, 4 cores might not be the best bet for years to come. I'd grab at least a 4770k/4790k.

Does he have to build right now? Know whats right around the corner right? BF baby, would be waiting for some hot deals if he can hold off a little longer.

Looks like MicroCenter is running $50 off motherboard with cpu purchase.
Off course, that's like a 45 min drive to get there and 10% sales tax, but they have stuff like the i3 7350k with a z170 board for $170 after tax or the i5 7500 for $210 after tax or Ryzen 5 1400 with a B350 board for $190 after tax.
All of those would be in budget, but are any of them worth getting over a Haswell i7 setup?
Again, any DDR4 system will be 8gb of ram whereas a DDR3 system will get 16gb due to ram prices currently.

Back