• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threadripper and vengeance Xmp error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

I have amd ryzen threadripper 2920x 12 core with Corsair vengeance lpx 4x8 3200
When i enable XMP, it immediately throws off blue screen saying Memory_management.
Is this because this Ram doesnt work for this mb?
I also tried changing the voltage mode to OC mode which didnt solve anything.

You may need to make some adjustments and raise the SOC voltage a bit with that much memory at that speed. I don't know too many details on that though.

OC mode, as the instructions likely say to the right (what motherboard), just raises the limit of what voltage you can set for the Vcore. Nothing to do with memory. :)

Is the RAM on the QVL list?

Its not on QVL list.
I gave this a try, xmp 2.0 profile 1 enabled. VDDCR_soc volt to 1.0 fixed.
LLC to auto
DRAM VOLT to 1.4. Enabling xmp bumped it to 1.35 automatically.

I still get Memory_management error.
I think i should wait until i can get some reference numbers to put in ..

Its so hard to find reference OC values similar to my set up.

hmm something i tried here. Used DRAM calculator to get the numbers to dial in with XMP enabled.
Strangely most of the numbers recommended from Calculator are lowered than what my BIOS says previously.
At least with these numbers, my PC runs. MaxxMem result is horrible. worse than my previous 4 core set up with 16 gb RAM.

I don't know what to do. I dropped 900$ for the upgrade and it's same as previous set up LOL (I haven't tested CPU yet)

This memory wasn't designed for AMD and there were problems with Corsair XMP in the past on some other motherboards (mostly Gigabyte).
That RAM calculator wasn't designed for TR and wasn't tested on all popular IC so results may vary and many users back to the OCF complaining that something is wrong. It's not a rule as some users are happy with results too. If you find any instability then set main timings, memory clock and memory voltage as on the memory label and don't enable XMP. Your motherboard works great with various memory kits and should automatically adjust all other timings. At least I have X399M Taichi which is sharing UEFI and microcode with full ATX version and it works great with various memory IC.

I couldnt really find a reference Overclock numbers to start off from, cpu or RAM. Thats why i gave that calculator a try.

Perhaps i should return it for a different RAM then..
Is there a recommended brand for AMd?

In general all memory from motherboard's QVL and some other series which have clear info that is designed for AMD.
If you can return the memory then maybe it's a good idea. I guess that short info about incompatibility will be enough.

Most memory kits which I was testing on TR are now on different memory IC so I can't confirm full compatibility of new memory kits but I had good luck with everything from Ballistix and G.Skill.

i replaced it with Corsair Ballistix sport LT 32gb 3200. it seems like everything is working fine now with XMP enabled.

Here's one funny/annoying thing.
MaxxMem test shows that the speed on my old set up (4 core, 16GB 2132MHz, DDR3) is pretty similar with the new set up with new CPU, RAM, MB, and CPU cooler (in signature)
pic attached.

does this look normal?

Attachments

• ram.PNG
    ram.PNG
    112.9 KB · Views: 301
For synthetic memory tests use AIDA64. Maxxmem is really old and can't handle new configurations or run in single-thread mode. There should be ~60GB/s+ read/write/copy ( +/- 5GB/s depends on test) in multithreaded environment.

For synthetic memory tests use AIDA64. Maxxmem is really old and can't handle new configurations or run in single-thread mode. There should be ~60GB/s+ read/write/copy ( +/- 5GB/s depends on test) in multithreaded environment.

welp since i used Maxxmem for my old set up, it wouldn't be accurate to compare with the new set up.

Aida64 trial version doesn't show me Write, and Copy speed LOL 75108 for Read looks pretty dang fast
Is there another software i can use?

write.PNG Capture.PNG read.PNG l.PNG c.PNG

Can try something like geekbench 3 or 4, there is a memory test too. In general, memory speed is under memory copy if you look at these AIDA64 results. It's close to Windows internal test - you can run it with 'winsat -mem' from command prompt (cmd).

Looking at your results, write is probably somewhere near 90GB/s so, in general, you won't get much better results if you had DDR4-3600 what is about max for this platform.

I need help asap. I bumped up the cpu from 4.0 to 4.3ghz? Without raising the volt, now the monitor doesnt come on. I tried removing the cmos battery for few seconds and 20-30 mins, monitor still doesnt come on.
The pc itself is keep running constantly.
I dont know whats happening here.
Am i suppose to remove all hdd and ssd and rams keeping one stick in and try turning on pc?

B0751AF8-EF90-4045-A720-5CA02EB496A5.jpeg
How about a picture. :)
This thing haha i cant remember if my pc power cable has this brick. Maybe it does.

I unplugged it from the wall for an hr. And monitor still doesnt turn on. Pc is running consistantly though. Im screwed.

Moved gpu to a second slot and still nothing on screen

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing haha i cant remember if my pc power cable has this brick. Maybe it does.
um, that's for a laptop not a desktop my dude... are you talking about your desktop (what this thread is about) or something else???? Your power supply has a simple cord not a psu inline...

Fixed! I never thought customer support would be so helpful
Do tell what the fix was....

Back