• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thunderbird alternative?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

My father's system was having so many issues over the past month with crashes, freezing momentarily, lock-ups, when he discovered it was a conflict between two programs whenever Thunderbird was used. So, he turned off one program and continued to use T-bird. No more problems! However, T-bird decided to install a new update and now, no matter what he does, T-bird causes him random problems for seemingly no reason. His temp solution is to uninstall it and install the previous version but turn auto-updates off, however, in case that doesn't become a good long-term solution he's looking for an alternative email program that's not a total piece of crap. I personally have no experience with this area. Sure, I can find examples on some sites line CNET, but I also wanted to get your take on it before I recommend anything.

Hope you can help. Thanks!

Not a fan, but could he get by with windows mail until mozilla gives up on their misguided upgrade a minute policy?

So... if he is using Windows 7, should this be in a different forum?

Perhaps you could PM a mod to move this to the Windows forum or maybe networking, internet and security. You will probably get better responses there

I stopped using tbird about 3 or more years ago. Switched to sylpheed and now claws. KomaMail is good also. Sylpheed and koma are both portable in windows.

Last edited:

Perhaps you could PM a mod to move this to the Windows forum or maybe networking, internet and security. You will probably get better responses there
Moved

There are many drivers (video card drivers in particular) and programs which have a "last good version".

Once that happens, the drivers/program should not be updated any more and any auto-update options switched off. I would wait until program version which works can't do something you want it to do and not upgrade until then.

I figured since it was a non-MS program it would go in the alternative section, but now I see why...it runs on Windows! durrrr :bang head Thanks for the move!

He definitely wants to stay away from any form of Outlook. He's never liked it and I don't blame him. It has it's good points and bad points, but for his use it's not optimal.

I'll have to check out some of those you listed habbajabba. Thanks!

Back