• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tight budget what would you buy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Im working with a supper tight budge to get me to the AM3 and DDR3 era.

Right now i have $90 or a little higher if needed im working with. What mother board can i get that has these specs.

AM3 that can support the 955be or higher.

DDR3 support.

2x PCI-E 16x that can support crossfire.

Also i would like for it to be able to get to 4.0ghz with the 955be if the chip i get can get that high.

I was looking at the Biostar 890fx. But if i can find one for cheaper that would be good.

Thanks all

Shadow

Biostar TX890FXE from tiger direct

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076244&CatId=5541

They also have it in combo with the 955BE for like 250 or 255ish, eh nevermind itsu p to 289: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6621981&CatId=4297

You can get the proc alone for less than 179 easily enough... but the price on the mobo is nice, thats what i am buying and have heard very good things about ti for a budget board..

I have the Biostar TA890FXE and the AMD 955BE like you are talking about in your original post and have been able to hit 4ghz with just the multiplier and a few other tweaks. I still plan to push the FSB up. But with this combination 4ghz came fairly easy, your results may vary.

If you are willing to take the time to scan through and read here is a link to what some have been able to do with the Biostar TA890FXE and a few different cpu's as well to give you an idea if it is what you are looking for.

Save your money till you can afford a good mobo. Two things never to skimp on when building a PC are the Power Supply and the Motherboard.

I do not see the biostar as a BAD mobo... good reviews, from tiger, the egg, and people on the forums, but it is your money so you have to decide where to spend it, i think the TX890FXE will treat you well from reviews I have read!

I do not see the biostar as a BAD mobo... and people on the forums, but it is your money so you have to decide where to spend it, i think the TX890FXE will treat you well from reviews I have read!
Fixed that for you. User reviews from newegg and most other places are not good to go off of.

LOL this is the problem with being a broke college student.(Cant afford all my hobbies) :(

So i have to balance them. School, work, gym, other stuff.

So i dont have to get to 4.0ghz. I just need to get above this 2.6ghz im at now. Killing my fps and hopefully i can get at least 4gb of ram.

One last thing can this board run my older phenom? Or do i have to get a am3 chip?
Not sure i can afford to just buy every thing at once. :( Might have to run off my laptop til i can sale my current stuff and try and fund the cpu and ram.

No AM3 motherboard using DDR3 RAM will support your CPU, the AMD 8600 IMC does not support DDR3.

However if you wanted to do it a piece at a time looking at ECS's site shows with the 4/14/2010 bios version installed your motherboard will support the 955BE CPU both C3 and C2 if you have the 1.1 version motherboard. If you have the version 1.0 motherboard it supports the C2 version of the 955BE which is strange since they also show other C3 cpu's listed and may have just missed listing the C3 on the 955BE for the version 1.0 motherboard contacting them and asking would give some clarification on this.

Version number should be listed next to PCIE slot.
ECS.jpg

Last edited:
I can tstress enough tho, ddr3, quad core, even if it means delaying a month, it'll last sooo much longer and with the am3 socket, you then upgrade again to a 1xxxt proc in a year or 18months and have a hex core when their prices drop aftter bulldozer drops...

basically delaying this rig now will mean delaying any updates to it by 6-12 months and a complete ground up new rig by prolly 2 years, the 555 is gonna begin dissapointing pretty soon in all likely hood....

Back