• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Time for new monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am by no means @ all a monitor expert but im pretty sure the "next gen" high hz ips are comming soon I would wait a bit my self .
For my self I would rather get a 120/144hz ultrawide 1080p monitor as I really only "game" on my system .

I'm with Console on this one. I like the ultrawide monitors. They are nice for gaming and great for multitasking. If you are not stuck on a 2560x1440 monitor I would look at some of the 29" ultrawides.

What is your primary use for your computer since as you mentioned it is not gaming?

For your use I do not see a need for a high refresh rate monitor. A 60hz monitor is plenty. You also probably do not need a 2560x1440 resolution unless you really notice an issue at 1080 for some reason.

I would either look at an ultrawide as mentioned earlier or something like a 32" 1080 monitor like this.

For your use I do not see a need for a high refresh rate monitor. A 60hz monitor is plenty. You also probably do not need a 2560x1440 resolution unless you really notice an issue at 1080 for some reason.

I would either look at an ultrawide as mentioned earlier or something like a 32" 1080 monitor like this.

I was looking at just 29" monitors last night and noticed how reasonably priced they were, but that 32" you linked on Amazon is startling. A lot of screen real estate there.

Got it in my shopping cart, will let it sit there a while...

Is there a microcenter or fry's near you, heck even a Best Buy. If there is go and look at the difference between a standard monitor vs an ultrawide. You will not find those exact models but you can at least get a feel for the difference.

Costco has a nice variety of Monitors to look at if you are a member there

I am waiting for OLED to make an appearance as a viable desktop solution

Is there a microcenter or fry's near you, heck even a Best Buy. If there is go and look at the difference between a standard monitor vs an ultrawide. You will not find those exact models but you can at least get a feel for the difference.

There is a Best Buy...would be quite helpful to see the monitors in-person. That's actually why I bought my laptop at BB last year, so as to do a hands-on inspection.

Costco has a nice variety of Monitors to look at if you are a member there

I am waiting for OLED to make an appearance as a viable desktop solution

I keep forgetting about Costco! I hear their customer service for electronics is very good.

My wife like to go to Costco without me and my 'watchful' eye...like a little kid in a candy store. ;)

I have had good luck with my Samsung monitor. If you have a Sam's club membership they have some to look at.

- - - Updated - - -

I am by no means @ all a monitor expert but im pretty sure the "next gen" high hz ips are comming soon I would wait a bit my self .
For my self I would rather get a 120/144hz ultrawide 1080p monitor as I really only "game" on my system .

When are the new high Hz IPS coming?

I stopped by Best Buy and looked at their monitors, looked at curved, 27" and 29". They had bigger monitors but my computer hutch would be awkward and crowded.

Curved were OK. To me, the 29" monitors looked skinny, width exceeding the height excessively...in my view. One of the 27" monitors was like that also, but the other 27 incher was a good 5-6" taller, making it proportional.

I wasn't sure if the BB employees would object to me taking a pic, so I did it quickly:

monitorATbb.jpg

I didn't catch the monitor itself but was more concerned to get the name-model-price info.

If I had my QR code reader app installed I'd have gotten much better information. :rolleyes:

I am not really a fan of the curved monitors but that really comes down to preference.

As to the 29" ultrawide seeming disproportionate, well it is. I find for my uses that I like the ultrawide because of being able to multitask effectively. I do a lot of work in Excel and Word and it allows me to have two documents open side by side while working without distortion. I also like it for watching a lot of movies as they can take advantage of this aspect ratio.

Some people prefer the traditional 16:9 over the 21:9 ratio and there is nothing wrong with that. It really will come down to what your uses and tastes are. For me I like the increased space on the horizontal plane and am willing to give up some vertical space in the trade of. Heck if I could afford it I would get this monitor in the 32:9 aspect ratio.

Like I said it all comes down to personal preference though. If you like the 16:9 ratio and a 27" monitor is what fits your hutch then I'm sure you have a lit of options it there to choose from. I am not a good source to speak to the quality of that particular monitor but hopefully someone will come along that can speakto that monitor or recommend a better one.

49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor
...I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, holy crap!

Not being a gamer, or having any particular computer activity that benefits from specific monitor specs, I find myself on a bit of a learning curve with features like IPS, TN, VA....aspect ratios....whether 2K.4k or 5K is desirable for my situation.

Just checked my NE purchase history, hard to imagine my 10 year old Acer 22" cost $229.99.

Now, here I am looking at a Viewsonic VA2719-2K-SMHD 27" for $275.89. EDIT: and the Acer K2 Series K272HUL 27" for $339.99.

Gotta love electronics, as times passes products get better and less expensive. :thup:

I'm about to do this....thoughts?

Last edited:
Back