• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toorox usb installation update problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I grabbed a copy of Toorox 32bit KDE and installed it to my 16GB flash in personal mode. Toorox has this option and hd option right from desktop.
Toorox uses knoppix for boot hardware detection, and it's gentoo based.
I have to change the default lang to english at every boot and add a line of code to the aspect ratio I want "xmodule=(nv)" in order to get it to boot correctly without asking for a login, which btw doesn't work at all as far as I can tell.

I am a total linux newb and it took a minute of searching just to figure out how to use Porthole in root [sudo porthole]. Porthole is for updating the system (I believe).
In any case it acts as if it's working but always crashes after running a while and I don't know if there is a better way to update it or if there is a particular order either. I just checked all and clicked update.

If anyone has ever used porthole to update in gentoo, what is the trick for it to work? Or could it be the distro itself?
I already created an acct on the toorox forum & received the email confirm but it won't take. btw, toorox is german or english only

Toorox-I love that monicker, works awesome otherwise.
I need a decent persistent usb distro that goes beyond tiny-core. I tried linux mint and could not get it to work via usb and one other that as well just would not boot.
Thanks for any help in regards.

Last edited:
I have looked at ubuntu's KDE usb persistent options and it's very complicated just to get it to work to begin with so I never tried it. LinuxmintKDE (ubuntu clone) I did get working on a usb but the update process froze up while it was supposedly updating. I tried ZevonOSKDE which specifically states it will easily create a persistent usb and again, it had it's own update problem and this was following all the instructions perfectly. I tried puppylinux and after I installed FF, java, and video drivers for my card which I never could figure out if it worked, it kept flashing the tray icon to tell me I only had 16MB left on my 16GB patriot xporter. That's lame. I tried Sabayon linuxKDE and problems there too.

Just for the record, usb2.0 is waaay too slow for ANY os imo. I think I'll wait for a mobo and flash which supports usb3.0 and try again (or get a small fw800/esata drive which apparently they don't make) but hopefully by that time I'll not only have a second box to run linux but the update problems will be fixed.
In the mean time, Hiren's boot cd 11 will boot xp AND linux, and even though you can't 'update' it, at least it works and it's easy enough to add stuff into the bootable flash. IMHO usb2.0 needs to die permanently. It should go the way of the floppy disc asap. And good freakin riddance i might add.
Toorox was perfect when I tried it live. I hope their update mgr (porthole) gets a major overhaul as it was kinda lame trying to get it to work from a usb.
Thanks for all the suggestions-lol

One thing I did learn was that the windows iso-usb creator tool SUCKS (I loaded 2 different images into the tool and it kept telling me it was not a proper image file-pffff) and specifically that if you just want to try a live os for ANY reason (or even want to install windows 7 itself sans an optical drive), never ever bother with burning a disc. Ultraiso can write ANY bootable iso image to ANY flash drive and it WILL work, period.

Last edited:
Back