• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total noob, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardsomewhat

I am trying to OC ram for the first time and i am having trouble finding the info i need. I have 32gb(4x8) ddr3 corsair vengeance pro series rated at 2400, but as stock i only get 1200 out of it. i know that the 2400 mark is at OC i just dont know how or what to set it at to get there. I find a lot of info for 16gb either 4x4 or 2x8 of the same ram, but i dont know if those settings translate at all or what. this is my build:

amd fx9590(w/turbo off for stability) w/h00i v2
gigabyte 990fxa ud5 mobo
32(4x8) vengeance pro ram
850watt evga powersupply
strix rx480 8gb

i think thats all that may effect it. so i know i have to got into bios to change what i need (unless it can be done through amd overdive) but i dont know what to change it to, if any one can help it'd be greatly appreciated

in your bios fine the frequency section and manually set the ram to XMP profile

upload a cpuz memory tab screenshot so we can make sure its set right

On the Fx you may have issue trying to run 32g of ram at 2400 Mhz, the integrated memory controller on the Fx chips isn't the greatest. Post up the Cpu-Z memory and spd tabs so we can see where you're at. You say you're at 1200? If so you're probably running at 2400 Mhz. Post the screen shots so we can see.

Ok you're at 1333 Mhz, you will need to go into the BIOS and set the ram to it's rated speed. Though, it may not be able to at 2400 Mhz due to the weak IMC on the Fx and using 32 gb of ram.

i know i can manually set the speeds and the specs for the mobo say 2133 will stable but how do u know what to do with the timing?

Set it to 2133, leave the timings on Auto like Console suggested. Then post a screen shot of the memory tab again so we can see where the board is setting the timings.

Back