• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Traded the witch for the devil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I had sold my 2600k (one of the first binned ones) to get another gamble at going past 5ghz.

Well my old one could get 5ghz, but it took 1.47v constant to be stable and that was alot for me to feel comfortable, temps were ok, i think thye were in the low 80's on a noctua NH-D14 with 75F ambient.

So... I got this new one here and the same motherboard and it seems to overclock worse. Maybe i'm not doing something right... everything else is set to stock, CPU PLL is on AUTO, and 4.5ghz is taking 1.38v (LLC Lv.7 - 1.38v-1.40v) to be stable on prime95, i'm priming it right now and it's been about 4 hours just passing the 8k stable, working on the 16k around 77c.

My last chip was not a very good chip in my opinion and it took 1.37v for 4.5ghz, it also was only around 76c, so here is my concern:

I have had an extremely hard time getting these chips to pass 4.5ghz on air, all over the web it's possible, every chip is different, certainly, but jesus christ when do i get a break, every chip i have ever bought has been sub-par, now i think it's user error and i'm calling out for some other settings to work on, the other settings are not on [AUTO]
rather they are set to the default voltages manually to rule out any or much droop, nothing has changed in my signature rig, the parts are the same, just different one's now.

Back