• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble with unlocking an 800 tbird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T20

Trouble with unlocking an 800 tbird... STILL!

Hey guys,

I tried unlocking my tbird with the pencil trick and no luck. So I thought its prolly bad lead. So I simply went out and bought the following pencils: H, B, HB, 2H, and number 2. After trying every single one still no luck... grr. Anyways what I am asking is, if I am in jumperfree mode, and my CPU is unlocked the BIOS will say that right? I mean it should allow you to change the speed through bios. Because its a pain in the *** to change those stupid dipswitches on my a7v every time, with no luck since the cpu is still locked.

If anyone interested here is my rig:
A7V Rev 1.02 Bios V1009
1gig ram
Geforce 2Ultra

Also it prolly isnt good to take the heatsink off zillion times, lol, so I thought I could simply put it on top of the chip without locking it down, and go to bios every time and see if CPU is unlocked, well the stupid thing almost fried in about 3 seconds lol, Comp froze during POST and the friggin alarm went off ;) When I took the CPU out it was like 90c+ to the touch (i couldnt touch it). It didnt burn though :( tough lil *******.

Last edited:
Some people have reported success with those automatic pencils, but I have also heard that one must use the wooden kind. The key is, it needs to have a certain amount of graphite in it.

I would suggest using a real pencil.

Also, *clip that heat sink down*!!!

I really just don't know about "hb" pencils. I would say that you need to use a #2 or softer.

*edit, found, on google, that hb is the same as #2.

Yodums that is what i ment, right now I have no multipliers in bios, so if the chip is unlocked I should see them and be able to change them, therefore bies will tell me... indirectly... lol sorry my fault didnt fraze the question right :)

Alright, I tried it with a normal pencil about 10 times, and I give up.

I tried every single jumper setting, and its retarded. Any clock speed I choose it doesnt boot up. If I choose and speed under 900mghz, fans spin and its simply blank. Over 900 it starts beeping like crazy. During all these times the CPU Ext. Freq. Sel. is at 100mghz. I mean I cant even boot up at 500, 550, 600 and so on... none work.

But if i set core bus frq. to 500mgz , and bump the CPU Ext. Freq to 133 then it boots up at 720 mghz, it actually boots up, anything else and it doesnt work. So i am back to stupid jumperfree mode.

Guys how much are the window defrogger kits? I gave up on the pencils, I mean i tried at least 15 different pencils, no luck :(

Also something wierd about the asus board. If i select FSB even at 101 in jumperfree it doesnt boot up (cas3 or 2). Yet 100 cas2 it all boots up fine. I got infineon ram, and just to be sure, i pulled all the pci cards out. Still FSB wont go over 100. But i guess this question i should ask in asus mobo section.

In the jumper free mode u have to select where it has the CPU speed or something set to Manual then it lets u select the FSB & Multi options, now when u change the multi and the speed doesn't change then it mean that the CPU is locked. The BIOS won't report or similar if CPU unlocked. I used the mechanical pencil on both the L1s and L7s of my Duron, it work from the first try, I used the 0.5mm lid.
Good luck

BTW: Is it a A7V-133 or just plain ol' A7V?

coolest thanx bro, i tried everything, it doesnt seem to want to unlock. My guess is my pencils are crap. I will try the defrogger kit.

alright if anyone cares lol, i went to Canadian tire and bought a rear window defroger kit for 10.69 and also conductive grease for 0.99. Just in case :) Will see how it will go.

PS. LOL, was in radio shack asking for conductive pen, they never heard of any, but bought a silver thermal compound for heatsinks by radioshack there for 3.99 :) LOL, thought I had a good deal, then went to Canadian Tire, and found there a Silver Thermal Compound for 2.69 and there its like a 6 pound tab lol. Obviously for cars though, but sais could be used for electronics... so if any of you have a heatsink size of Manhattan ... go to an auto place :)

Aight, I got a problem, I aplied Rearwindow Defroger repair kit on all 4 L1 bridges, and CPU is still locked.

I know you are all thinking i am as dumb as a rock. But seriously, they are all connected now 100%, but not interconnected with eachother. I cleaned the old pencil marking off with alcohol, put tape between the bridges, dropped a drop of defrogger on top, 5 seconds later pulled the tape off. Let it dry under the lights for 1 hour, turn PC on, and nuthing. Still locked at 800. I am seriously going nuts here. Some1 help me out.

Edit: Cpu Ifno
A0800AMT3B
ADFA0038MPMW
K0036250050
MC1999AMD

L1 |||| || L2
L3 |::| |::| L4

L5 :|:|
L6 |
L7 ||:||

Last edited:
Try some advice from people that have your motherboard. I do not have any experience with your mobo, or dip-switches.

if you have a a7v have to set jen jumper to jumper free but still have to use dip switch to set multiplier, don't try to go over 105 fsb without uping vio then you should be able to do 109 stable,
no.2 pencil works so does mech. pencil works but some multipliers won't be availible. your problem is more in likely not set to jumper free mode or you could be looking at dip switch backwards because they are mounted upside down

i quit trying to go through jumpefree mode, now i am in jumper mode. I set the clock to be at 1000 mghz, am still runing at 800 though, guess its locked. I took some alcohol, scrubbed the defrogger off, then put it back on with a needle this time. No luck.
Could my L1 bridges have pits? I mean its impossible for this thing to be locked. there is defrogger everywhere on top of the bridges, I know 100% there is no breakes between the bridges.
I even flashed the bios back t0 1008 :) lol.

LOL i spent about 8 hours straight, triying every config possible, then taking off the pencil/defrogger and trying again lol. I am tired and dont care anymore... will try again tomorow, if it wont work i will burn the lil (starts cussing here), and go buy me a Dragon+, DDR ram, and an XP1800.

First of all, welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties in this "black art" of overclocking.

I have an early A7V, rev 1004. On mine the option to adjust the multiplier is not available in the BIOS. The jumperfree mode, gives you the option to adjust the frequency and the Vcore, the multiplier is still set with the DIP switches.

Maybe this option was made availabe with a different BIOS, but it's not on mine.

I also have a later A7V133, which does enable the multipliers in the BIOS during the jumperfree mode.

Do some research, check the ASUS website to see if this option has been implemented on the later revisions or BIOS updates.

http://www.asus.com/index.html

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

are you sure you are setting dip switches right some people have set them just the oppisite of where they should be due to them being mounted upsidedown

bro, it said right on the dippswitch box On ->> so i know I am setting it right. Plus i did try the other way. LOL all together there are 9 switches. I tried em all in every postition (thats 81 different tries), and every single one failed :) Mobo seems aight, its just that my CPU seems to be locked for some stupid reason.

Back