• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide on z87 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAD450r

I was going to go with asus with builtin water block till I read about it being aluminum [I know its coated and shouldn't matter to loop]. I just dont want to trust that on such an expensive part.

So im looking at gigabyte z87x ud3h in blue accent,or gigabytes z87x ud5h, is a bit more pricey guess it does more but downside for me is I cant find it without Red accents. I found EKs full z87x waterblock for 130$ and the blue ud3h mainboard for 130$ as well so that puts it almost 100$ cheaper than the asus.

as for the ud5h is 219$ at newegg found without red yay. So with EK block will be close to price as asus board, and asus's was only covering the power portion of mainboard.

What do you all think or suggest. Im really trying to make educated decision this time around.

Gigabyte Z87x UD3H is plenty for water cooling overclocking 24/7. The UDH5 is more for benching records and LN2.

I think you're referring to the ASUS Maximus VI Formula that has the water block over the MOSFETs. I've been using that board for several months on my benching/review station and never have hooked the water cooling up to that block. I wouldn't let the block sway you away from that board, because in all reality you don't need to water cool that part. That block is designed to work quite well as a passive cooler, and with good case airflow you shouldn't have a problem.

thanks for the replys

Now im on to an even larger problem. The kit I bougth from xspc, I just look at compatibility chart to find out after I had many issues with the darn 780 windforce at the start. Newegg replaced it and its been working. I just never paid attention to the fact that they sent me revision 2 as replacement.Well on the page for compatibility with all 780's mine is the only one it will not fit. Im so pissed right now I could kill newegg.

My original paperwork showed it to be revision 1 is whey I thought I was all set. But my brother who games mostly on that system just grabbed the box and says hey on this sticker on the side of box has rev2.0.

Most times id have been happy to get the updated newer model, but now what do I do I have a 150$ block and backplate that isn't going to work for me. Is it possible this will work or am I screwed.

As for the asus board the biggest thing making me want to stear away isn't so much the waterblock I wont use, its the damn 300+$ price tag. the gigabytes less than half the price and seems to do everything id use the motherboard to do.

After hearing here and on other forums so many saying just use it passive, if thats the case maybe i'll just follow my dads footsteps he has the asus sabertooth z87 and loves it I bought him h100 and I wired it up so the damn stock fans kick down controlled by asus fan software so its quieter and nice and cool. Not to mention the color scheme is more up my ally neutral on the sabertooth. I hated being steared to either blue or red by motherboard.

but first thing I really need to sort now is what im going to do about the damn videocard that I have not being supported by any full cover waterblocks gigabyte windforce 780 revision 2.0. When I bought it from newegg and had so many issues and returned first 2 cards once I got one that worked I never noticed till last night my brother said you know this is rev2.0 and its been work great.

So I jumped back on frozencpu's sight about an hour or so ago to find out of all the 780s non ti mine is the only one no supported at all by waterblocks. I wonder why or if its possible to make one work with it. I know for sure im not the person to do a test fit or work around but if I found a guide to someone that has already done so id then try it.

Well all my xspc kit arrived. Was very fast said wont arrive till friday. I know frozencpu is close by me but im very impressed. First thought is OMFG this video card water block is nice but wow its heavier than I expected.

I only had one pc with a toy water cooling kit. Had an evercool 201 on my first p4 3.06ghz. was on a gigabyte I forget the model but had some riser board with the mosfet on it. That thing stock ran so hot with my 8 hd's in the system. Was my tv capture setup. The 10,000rpm scsi's ran so hot, but was only drives before sata to keep up with 720p captures.

Anyways now that I see this kit ive decided for sure to follow my dads footsteps. Asus sabbertooth z87. Will look so nice with this kit and these black and white water blocks. I guess im going to go with corsair vengence pro 2x4gb ram for now, just to save a bit. Since I cant use my gigabyte gtx 780 windforce v2.0 im looking at evga 780 sc with acx cooler since I see that on the list that does fit my block. I wish I could afford to go ti version. I was trying to get a corsair 800d to house it but after all I find on ebay end up over 150ish used I think i'll just get the 900d and be done with it. For starters my SSDs should be fine 2x120 ocz vertex, I may put my 128gb sandisk in for games. Im going to use my ocz 700watt ps, but will change that out later to either 850 or 1000watt corsair.

A freind asked me if I was going to do a build log. I dont think maybe would want to see yet another xspc rig but if others would like maybe i'll do a bit as I go once I do get all pieces. Will take me another month or 2 just to get the motherboard and cpu plus vid card so I can even start building anyways. I'll be order the tower tomorrow night.

Well i recieved my 900d today. Flushed out my rx360 rad and installed it in the roof with fans in pull. This way i can just wipe off bottom of rad when is time to dust it out. I moved my drive cages around. Only have two of the 3 drive cages installed in the center portion of the case. Top is the regular one. Bottom is the hot swappable one.

In the bottom i installed the quad rad mounts, and removed all 3 of the mounts for drive cages.
I also mounted the resivour in the center two 5.25 bays. Then my touch screen fan controller will be on top. Bottom will be my blueray burner.

Still not purchased my 480 rad or my asus sabbertooth z87 board and 4770k cpu.

Last edited:
I posted ftom android cell. If was possible to add oics i would have. Ill try get a few up tomorrow

Back