• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to learn, just had to reset CMOS.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirholg

Registered
Hello.

Some might have seen my other posts laetly, I'm quite new at trying OC'ing on all but GPU's.

I've purchased a new Ryzen 5 1600x system with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (C16) RAM.
Budget build as close to good as I could get. Trying to look for options regarding my sticks, and can only find the C15's beeing reviewed and tested from trusted sources.

I had my MB autoclock theese to 2993Mhz, and it did seem stable. I reverted after reading online and finding myself insecure.

*EDIT: This OC was not done using XMP alone, I had the MB clock it on top.

Using a Gigabyte AM4 AX370 Gaming K3 Motherboard.

Do any of you have some good ideas on how to proceed with clocking them? :shock:
I want to clock as I've read Ryzen loves speed cause of their cant-remember-its-name tech in the CPU that runs at half the RAM speed.

Something to note when giving advice:
  • I don't know how to determine timings.
  • I do understand XMP and how to OC using MB EZOC.
  • I don't know how to monitor heat of my RAM

Last edited:
To determine timings, I go into CPUz and check the tab where it shows timings at different frequency. Then I go into bios and lower by one...of it was 8, I go to 7 and see if it boots. If it does I go one more, if that boots, I try even lower until it eventually does not boot. At that point I restart and my mobo goes to defaults andd says overclock failed :D

Once I plugged last known bootable timings, I run memtest bootable cd to make sure they're working good for a few hours. If they check out, I go and run windows based memtest and then, prime.

You can tweak timings lower by going to individual numbers and I believe tRCD gives most performance boost, but doing them individually takes too long and I prefer to just settle to whatever passed and never tweak individual numbers separately, unless I have nothing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember being mentioned somewhere ram doesn't warm up as much and heatsinks are just a gimmick, but that was a while back when slower ram was around.

See your current memory timings in the cpuz memory tab. See the timings for xmp on the spd tab.

Xmp is just preset speed and timings for the ram. It reads it off the ram and sets it. Ezoc and xmp are different things. Ez9c may set your ram to xmp, but it also overclocks the cpu.

Ram doesnt get hot...didnt then doesnt now at its reference or xmp voltage. :)

I use a free program called HWiNFO64 that monitors basically everything that can be monitored, including DIMM modules. I just looked at mine and the temp of 3 sticks = 28 C and 1 stick = 31 C.

Just set it back to the way you had it. Memory temps aren't anything you're going to have to worry about. If it's stable under stress testing then you're good to go. I have the 1600X in my HTPC and really haven't found a reason to overclock it with 4.1 boost on two cores.

Back