• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuniq Tower 120 stock fan and Motherboard fan control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GotNoRice

I just ordered a Tuniq Tower 120 to replace my POS Thermaltake Mini-Typhoon.

Is it possible to use the motherboard automatic fan speed control with the stock fan for the tuniq tower? I don't want to have to mess with a rear fan speed control, I just want it to run slow when my CPU is cool and fun fast when my CPU is hot, similar to how the stock heatsink works.

I notice the stock tuniq tower fan only has a 3-pin connector and not a 4-pin connector like the stock heatsink does. The fan on the mini-typhoon was also 3-pin. There is an option in the bios to have fan speed done via voltage control instead of PWM but when I tried that on my mini-typhoon it just seemed to run it at full speed the whole time. I'd guess that is just because it is more or less overwhelmed by he heat output from the quad.

Can the stock Tuniq Tower 120 fan be successfully adjusted using the auto fan control using the voltage setting? Will it go be low RPM when the temps are low and high RPM when the temps are high? Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
I've never tried using the fan control via the motherboard with any of my machines. I either don't worry about it and run full speed or put them on a fan controller (either backplate mounted or a front mounted fan controller) if they are a higher current fan. The reason I do this is to keep from possibly burning out traces on the mobo due to heavy current flow for the fan. I actually burnt out a fan header on an old P3 mobo by using the onboard header for power instead of using a 4 pin molex connector with a separate monitor header to connect to the mobo. I know that the newer motherboards are rated for higher current flow, but since I leave my machines on 24/7/365 I don't want to take a chance of having the processor overheat because of a header failure. That old P3 was running in the 75-80 C range when I caught that, but was still chugging away. :D

I've never tried using the fan control via the motherboard with any of my machines. I either don't worry about it and run full speed or put them on a fan controller (either backplate mounted or a front mounted fan controller) if they are a higher current fan. The reason I do this is to keep from possibly burning out traces on the mobo due to heavy current flow for the fan. I actually burnt out a fan header on an old P3 mobo by using the onboard header for power instead of using a 4 pin molex connector with a separate monitor header to connect to the mobo. I know that the newer motherboards are rated for higher current flow, but since I leave my machines on 24/7/365 I don't want to take a chance of having the processor overheat because of a header failure. That old P3 was running in the 75-80 C range when I caught that, but was still chugging away. :D

Yeah on my old Xeon rig I used 60mm Delta EHE fans which pulled 1.2 amps each, glad I never tried to run those off the motherboard heh.

The stock tuniq tower fan is not a super-powerful fan, I think it doesn't even go above 2000rpm, so I don't think the power requirements would be an issue.

Back