• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu 8.10 - problems with cifs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i'm using ubuntu 8.10 on both my laptop and my desktop. i have two network shares that are shared by my server which is running debian etch using samba. i've noticed recently that i am not able to write to my network shares anymore. i seem to be getting an error in pretty much any application i try to edit the files in (nano, gedit, etc).

basically the errors always say "not a directory" when saving the file. i find it very odd to say the least. i am not sure what could be causing my problems but i find it very odd to say the least. i imagine that it must be some sort of bug in samba/cifs. i don't believe that my debian server has had any updates as of late so i don't think it is the server as my windows boxes can write to the shares just fine. i also know that it isn't some sort of permissions problem either.

i am not really looking for a resolution since i know that there are other places to send bug reports, but i was curious if anyone else has seen the same? if anyone is curious as to how i have things setup, i will be happy to post any config files for you.

just for reference, my debian server is running samba 3.0.24 and my ubuntu computers run samba 3.2.3.

try using NFS mounts instead of SAMBA/CIFS mounts
i only use samba/cifs if i need a windows machine to talk to it

One thing to watch out for on NFS though is user perms... it uses the UID number, not the user name. So if you have smokie as user 1003 on one machine and 1006 on another, they won't work correctly together.

One thing to watch out for on NFS though is user perms... it uses the UID number, not the user name. So if you have smokie as user 1003 on one machine and 1006 on another, they won't work correctly together.

ah very good to know. my linux boxes use kerberos to authenticate to active directory. the UID numbers are different for my accounts so that would be a problem.

i already use cifs because i do share files with windows machines on my network so it is just as easy to use it for my linux boxes.

I wrote some scripts that fix ownership and passwd/group files so that I can keep all my boxes in sync.

I wrote some scripts that fix ownership and passwd/group files so that I can keep all my boxes in sync.

i'll have to look into something similar to see if it is possible to have the UID numbers synchronized when using samba to authenticate over kerb. i guess that is one of the bad things about having a hybrid network of windows and linux, especially when i barely know enough to set it up and not use it to its full potential. i must say that just by toying around with stuff i have learned more in the past couple years than i could have learned by taking classes and reading books.

I think cifs/samba don't use uid's anyways, they use names, so it shouldn't matter for you. It should only be an issue for NFS, which I use more than samba, although my main fileserver shares the big data partition using samba and nfs.

I think cifs/samba don't use uid's anyways, they use names, so it shouldn't matter for you. It should only be an issue for NFS, which I use more than samba, although my main fileserver shares the big data partition using samba and nfs.

i've used samba to join to my active directory in windows and it assigns all of my active directory users and groups UIDs

smb.conf
Code:
[global]
   workgroup = MBENTLEY
   server string = samba server %v
   load printers = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   interfaces = lo eth0
   bind interfaces only = yes
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   dns proxy = no
   smb ports = 139
   security = ADS
   realm = MBENTLEY.NET
   password server = 192.168.1.204
   winbind separator = /
   idmap uid = 10000-20000
   idmap gid = 10000-20000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   #template primary group = "home_users"
   template homedir = /home/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash
   client use spnego = yes
   client ntlmv2 auth = yes
   winbind use default domain = yes
   restrict anonymous = 2
   domain master = no
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   os level = 0
   disable netbios = no
   dos charset = ASCII
   unix charset = UTF8
   display charset = UTF8
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[tmp]
   comment = temporary file space
   path = /tmp
#   valid users = "MBENTLEY/mbentley"
   public = yes
   writeable = yes
   write list = "MBENTLEY/mbentley"

on one of my computers, here are the groups i am in:
Code:
mbentley@gx280:~$ id mbentley
uid=10000(mbentley) gid=10023(mbentley_unix) groups=10023(mbentley_unix),4(adm),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),104(scanner),106(fuse),108(lpadmin),114(netdev),123(admin),124(sambashare),1001(wheel),10022(home_users),10011(domain admins),10028(domain_admins),10025(testuser_unix),10014(group policy creator owners),10009(enterprise admins),10008(schema admins),10012(domain users),10024(dgriffey_unix),10021(certsvc_dcom_access),10002(BUILTIN/administrators),10003(BUILTIN/users)

and on the other:
Code:
mbentley@dual-xeon:~$ id mbentley
uid=10000(mbentley) gid=10000(mbentley_unix) groups=10000(mbentley_unix),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),106(netdev),109(powerdev),1001(wheel),10006(schema admins),10005(enterprise admins),10002(domain admins),10007(domain users),10004(group policy creator owners),10001(home_users),10008(dgriffey_unix),10003(testuser_unix),10015(/domain_admins),10016(BUILTIN/users)

so for the same groups, it assigns different UIDs. like i said, it is pretty goofy :)

I've never goofed around with any of that stuff. I keep things much simpler. =p

Back