• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Understanding 8700K overclock and keep it stable. How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fablib

Hi to everyone!
I have few questions about overclocking the CPU. I've read a lot of thread, forums, but because every system is different, manufacturer, etc., I still have few dark issues to understand.
Could you help, please?

My system is composed of:

8700K delidded
ASrock Z370 Fatal1ty ITX
Corsair DDR4 3200MHZ 32GB Kit
1 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
2 860 EVO 1TB
Arctic Freezer 120 in Push Pull (50% speed at normal conditions)
Titan V
Corsair SF600
Phanteks Shift with 1 bottom fron intake and 1 top fron exhaust.

Now, after delidding, running AIDA64 or Prime at stock frequency, WOW, the temperature dropped of about 20C! Before they were 30 in idle and 75 under the AIDA stresstest, now in idle are always 30, but at full load stay arounf 55, max 58!
So I've decided to overclock, because Using a lot of production software like photoshop, 3ds max, Vray, the hifger frequency could help a lot to speed up my work (I guess?).

Anyway, I've tried to follow some tutorial and at the end I went with the "classic" 5GHZ ferquncy, CPU cahce 4.8GHZ, VCORE with offset 50, and Load Line for ASRock set to 3, in the middle basically.
I've run for a short time Prime95 and monitored with AIDA. and the temp were 35 in idle and under 70 under load!
But a bit scared (because I'm new to OC), I've tried this morning to lower a bit the frequency, so I've changed to 4.8GHZ and cache to 4.6GHZ, and the VCORE offset to 20.
The temp are quite the same (a bit higher this morning but the ambient is warmer and there's the sun shining through the case :)).

I will post 2 screenshot.

But my question is: which is the better and safe way to overclock? The offset mode for VCORE is ok or is better a fixed? The temp are ok in both cases? FOr how long a test like Prime or AIDA should be run to consider a system stable?
PLease check the screenshot and if you see anything strange or wrong, pelase, tell me!

I hope to receive a lot of answer!
Thanks a lot in advance!

1.JPG
3.JPG

I always set manual/fixed voltage and enable C states. Offset works good too and both are safe as long as voltage isn't too high.
Stable is whatever everything you need works without issues. I recommend mixed tests like 2h AIDA/Prime and later some games or 3DMarks in loop for 2-3h. It's because I had many situations when all was passing Prime95 but was still crashing in online games.

I see you have Phanteks Shift so I have one question to you. I assume you have that larger Shift if you don't complain at temps and can use Titan V. Is your case also hot during work ?
I have 8600K / Corsair H80i cooler and even at stock settings my CPU is going up to 70°C+ what isn't an issue but when I close the case then everything is getting hot. Graphics card is GTX1060 ITX from EVGA which or runs just under throttling level or is making additional noise.
The main issue is airflow in my case so I assume you have larger version where it's easier to manage.
It's still better than my 1st idea with 7900X which was way too much for this case, even though cooler could handle it.

Thanks for the reply! But How can I check if the voltage is going to high? Also the offset, When I put 50 or 20, in AIDA the CPU Core voltage swing a lot!
Sorry, but what is a C state?

Regarding the Shift, actaully I have the normal version and I use completely closed. The case is hot under loads, especially on the top right part, close to the exhaust fan, but with the radiator fans in push pull I guess it helps a lot to exhaust from the top. The gpu is under FurMark or Unigine Heaven goes till 85, but the good things of the blower card also if hotter, doesn't exhaust in the case, so the overall temp is well controlled under loads! I really wish to go with a x299 as well, but I am scared as well from the temps! Here a pics of my internal layout if can helps!

new internal.jpg

Check temps under load with something like HWinfo64. It's free and registers history so you can check what are min and max temps during longer work.

C states like C1, C3, C6 ... I guess you can find something marked like that in BIOS. I don't remember where it is in ASRock Z370 but usually it's in CPU tab or advanced settings/CPU.

I guess the difference is that I have my AIO installed on the right side and Phanteks simply failed side panels design. You can see they're not helping to get rid of hot air so fan next to the motherboard is blowing on nearly closed area and on the bottom I could install my AIO only in one way so it's also not taking enough cold air because of side panel design. There were also issues with screws as they couldn't be with round heads or I couldn't close the side panel.
I has X299E-ITX/ac and 7900X in this case and all was fine with enabled power saving and open side panel. Once case was closed temps were going up too much.

So your graphics card isn't loud ? I remember this cooler on 1080Ti wasn't quiet on open space. This is one of reasons why I didn't want high wattage graphics card in so small case when I don't really need anything faster than the GTX1060.

Fixed Vcore bypasses Intel C-states option. I use C-states with Vcore offset and when the CPU is at idle sometimes the Vcore is 0.756v.

Back