• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU: e8400
ES/Retail: Retail
Batch #: Q746A377 (TankGuys.com)
Ship/Packaging Date: 1/04/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.14/1.414 by DMM (post v-droop load)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4302 mhz
Motherboard: IP35-Pro
BIOS:
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)):
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Water Storm 2
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Shinetsu
-----
Additional Comment(s): VID 1.0375 (CORETEMP 0.96.1)
Still testing past over 1 hour for Orthos at 4302.
I will confirm the exact temps with the thermistor I have made that actually goes directly under the cpu. It's pretty accurate to within 3c of software related temps and accurate to within 1c actual. Waiting for processor to come.

Last edited:
If the Anandtech article is correct, I would leave the dampener off. The article made sense to me, that Intel designed vDroop into their m/b design to protect the computer system from voltage spikes. They claim by using "load line calibration" or "voltage dampener" you are putting substantial stress on your system, especially the power supply.

I am now sure, leave it OFF on Gigabyte boards, at least on X38-DS5 with Bios F5. When i was playing with it enabled it was working ok at first, better than Auto anyway, but then i rebooted... A device was hanging during boot, so i shutdown with the power button, and when i booted the OS all my workunits in Boinc errored out. So i did a normal reboot into Memtest86, the rig shut down after 3 seconds. Then i went to bios, checked that Loadline Calibration really was enabled, then checked voltage, and it was same as it was before at same vcore setting when Loadline Calibration was disabled. So, the crap had shut itself off and thus reduced vcore to an unstable value, its playing lotto with me both at Auto and Enabled. Worthless and seriously flawed.

If the Anandtech article is correct, I would leave the dampener off. The article made sense to me, that Intel designed vDroop into their m/b design to protect the computer system from voltage spikes. They claim by using "load line calibration" or "voltage dampener" you are putting substantial stress on your system, especially the power supply.

Haven't we always? whats it matter. we run our gear way out of spec as it is.

I use it as it lets me have a lower vcore at 4ghz.

Haven't we always? whats it matter. we run our gear way out of spec as it is.

I use it as it lets me have a lower vcore at 4ghz.

While yes we do run our systems out of spec running the voltage damper setting also increases the amount of voltage the spike has itself for a longer period of time, which isn't good either way you look at it. Heck even at say 4Ghz surely the spike on the Vcore isn't going to look great without the damper enabled yet with it enabled its going to be that much worse. But what has to be asked then, is when enabled is the spike difference from disabled to enabled equal or close to that if when you take the voltage needed from it disabled nad enabled as well.

One thing the Anandtech article didn't do was show an actual test run at a higher voltage. That would have been nice. They showed the 1.3xv run, and then made assumptions about higher voltages. Their inferences may be correct, but a simple test run would of been nice since they already had everything setup.

They also measure the voltage as it leaves the VRMs, but not the actual voltages seen through the 65/45nm components. There is a chance the voltage signal might be cleaned up by the SMCs on the CPU package before they enter the die itself.

My personal experience on my P5K-Premium is that the 'Voltage Damper' option helps to stabilize my system. Of course, YMMV.

CPU: E8400
Batch #: Q745A553
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/04/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.225/1.22
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3737 Mhz
Motherboard: Abit IX38 Qoad GT
BIOS: 12
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-18 Crucial Balistix 8500
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):2.2
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Ninja Rev. B with 120mm cooler
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s): My board obviously need new BIOS. CPU-Z Voltage is 1.55-1.66 :eek: constant, BIOS changes does not affect it, so i am just playing with FSB trying to find max OC with stock voltage. And that is my max. That is 415x9, SuperPi 1m stable & Orthos 6+ hrs stable.
All readings are from uGuru Abit's utility.
420x9 same settings Orthos got me error after 38 mins.

Batch #: Q746A489
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/09/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.1125 VID / 1.40
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4200mhz / 525x8 (so far)
Motherboard: GA-P35-DS4 v2
BIOS: F11
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)):
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):
-----
Additional Comment(s): my temps are high high with current settings, hitting 76C under full load via core temp. its stable and seems to work tho so... and the temp sensor/motherboards dont seem to read right anyways.

Last edited:
man these chips look nice . with the 9x multi what is the point in getting the 8500? are they clocking any better @ all ?

man these chips look nice . with the 9x multi what is the point in getting the 8500? are they clocking any better @ all ?

8500s get to 5ghz or more with specialized cooling more often then 8400s

sadly my motherboards most stable as of now seems to be 522fsb :) might be more if i juice the nb and sb some more.

My new max temp, ~1.45v and 111c in Bios. Throttled badly but didnt shut itself down.

Waterpump died. First thing i noticed was that the PC suddenly felt slower than usual, checked /proc/cpucoretemp and got 77/-41, then many various values with -41 the most common and then it stabilized at -41/-41. At that point i suspended Boinc, restarted and checked Bios temp and saw this 111c, and THEN i realized the cooling must have failed.

Batch #: Q746A519
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): Coming Soon!
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed):Coming Soon!
Motherboard: Abit IP35-E
BIOS: Coming Soon!

_______
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 4-4-4-12 @ ???
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.20
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):
AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):

CPU:E8400
Batch #:Q76A487
Ship/Packaging Date:01/14/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed):1.0/1.38
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4050 Mhz (still going)
Motherboard: Maximus Formula
BIOS: 0907
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):2.08
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:TRU120-E
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):

I will continue to use the 'Voltage Damper' option as it seems to make my system more stable, and I haven't had any problems w/ it yet. It just makes sense to me to use it. I've been running 1.5125v BIOS/1.488v CPU-Z 3.6GHz since last August w/o any issues.

It makes sense to me to use the voltage damper option. I've been giving my E6750 1.55v in bios since august, and recently got some PCIe link width issues and then my mobo crapped out, rma should be back tomorrow. I planned on getting an E8400. I wonder if the damper could have had anything to do with it. But it was fine until a couple weeks ago.

It makes sense to me to use the voltage damper option. I've been giving my E6750 1.55v in bios since august, and recently got some PCIe link width issues and then my mobo crapped out, rma should be back tomorrow. I planned on getting an E8400. I wonder if the damper could have had anything to do with it. But it was fine until a couple weeks ago.

According to Anandtech the Voltage Damper can be bad for the CPU, not the MoBo. I don't think the CPU is in any real danger either way, but I do know Mobos tend to go bad pretty often. Core2's, not so much. So, my guess is the Mobo was just defective. Thank goodness for RMA!

CPU:8400
Batch #:Q746A489
Ship/Packaging Date: 1/09/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): ~1.275v
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 444 x 9 = 3996
Motherboard: Maximus Formula SE
BIOS: 0907
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.26v Bios = 2.38v Probe
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Swiftech Storm Rev2|NB Fuzion Block
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):
-Still "technically" bleeding my loop after install. Will tinker more later.
-Been seeing "Chip Degredation" popping up with regards to 1.45v+ overclocking. Holding tight for now.

Last edited:
Back