• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable Low Overclocks, CPU or Motherboard Issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asleep75

Registered
New to overclocking so I think is a basic general question. This is related to something I’ve posted in the GPU forum but distinct enough I thought I could ask a different question here.

Question:
Could the my systems inability to overclock, even mildly, be indicative of a larger CPU or Motherboard issue? Or, is it likely unrelated and I just have a “less than great” CPU?

Specs:
MOBO: Asus M5A99X Pro Rev 2
CPU: AMD FX-8350
COOLER: Silverstone AR03
MEMORY: G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8 1866
VIDEO: XFX R9 290 (2)
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000
O/S: WIN 7 64 Bit

Details:
Normally, I have not been running anything overclocked at all. I’ve been experiencing issues running games Crossfired (if interested, the whole – way to long story – of how I troubleshot this is in the GPU forum). Giving up on the crossfire issue, I removed one GPU.

With nothing more to tinker with I went into the bios and just tried using the “Ultimate” setting from the bios basic screen. It overclocked the cpu to 4.3 GHz. After wards I ran Prime 95 and had workers fail under a minute.

I know that automatic overclocking programs are not something to trust, and that no real Overclocker would ever rely on them. But I also thought that built in programs generally do a mild and safe overclock.

After failing, I then reset everything back and then tried O.C. Tuner from the Advanced Bios Screen. I tried the AMD CPU Overdrive. I also tried just bumping the multiplier up by 1.

Temps are all low, never breaking 52c when “overclocked” and running Prime95.

All of these produced unstable results, with stopped workers (relativly quickly) in Prime95. Running with everything auto and normal, I can run prime 95 for a full work day and that night with no issues.

Does this seem normal? Do you think there might be some latent defect in the MB or CPU?

I’m just wondering if maybe the board or CPU may be bad, and could contribute to my Crossfire issues.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Dave

No truthful answer can come unless you go to the beginning. Show us something that makes giving an answer possible.

Go into bios and turn off CnQ, C1/E, TuirboCore, C6 and Disable APM if in bios. Set HPC to Enabled if in bios. Then go into Windows Power Manager and set to "Performance Mode", not balanced.

Then using the 'tools' we all use here in this forum section...proceed as outlined below. ATTACH your image to the forum not some image from an image host site.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Welcome to OC Forums, Dave.

If you have not done so already, please download and install CPU-z and attach images of the program's interface for these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Please attach the images directly to your post instead of linking them to another website like Photobucket or something. To do this, first crop, capture and save the images to disk. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

To monitor temps and voltages most all of us use HWMonitor (non pro version). You speak of your temps not exceeding 52c but what temps do you refer to? There are two that need to be monitored in particular: CPU socket temp and package temp. It's not clear which one you speak of. HWMonitor gives both.

CPU-z and HWMonitor will give us a wealth of information about your system and your bios settings.

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

I'm assuming you want to see the settings from when the system is unstable? I'll do that when I get home from work.

I have all the info you asked for, attached to another post (in the GPU section), but this was when it was running stable (normal button on the first bios screen and the DOCP RAM profile for my ram in the Advanced section. Nothing else changed).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7619377&postcount=25

I guess without details you can't tell if it is odd or not? I just assumed that the "idiot button" in the bios was supposed to be fool proof and should have worked.

I'll follow your instructions and post those screen shots tonight.

Thanks a lot!
d

I hate trying to cross-reference temps and voltages from Aida64 to what we are used to seeing. CPUz and HWMonitor in the Free vesion have been looked at now for years. We have seen them in regards to varous mobos as well. Just better to get us all on the same page.

Why not just use x20 multiplier and all other votlages to stock/default. An FX-8350 put into the mode am talking about below will be running ALL cores ON. Not just a few or half or some. So set Cpu multiplier to x20 = 4.0Ghz will be the baseline. Baselining is almost a must.
RGone...ster.

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

I'm assuming you want to see the settings from when the system is unstable? I'll do that when I get home from work.

I have all the info you asked for, attached to another post (in the GPU section), but this was when it was running stable (normal button on the first bios screen and the DOCP RAM profile for my ram in the Advanced section. Nothing else changed).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7619377&postcount=25

I guess without details you can't tell if it is odd or not? I just assumed that the "idiot button" in the bios was supposed to be fool proof and should have worked.

I'll follow your instructions and post those screen shots tonight.

Thanks a lot!
d

I'd take the advice here and you should be in better shape. They ask the right questions in order to get the right info, and provide the rights answers.

Without that, we could only guess...

Simple answer to your first post - almost certainly not just a bad CPU. Sensitivity to a very mild overclock can be due to various things, but a weak CPU isn't one in my experience. You didn't mention RAM, but if the timings and frequency aren't right according to SPD or if the motherboard doesn't like it, that can cause a lot of very sensitive behavior. Bad power can cause instability if your PSU has an issue.

Auto-OC doesn't work with my 3770K and MVG mobo - it doesn't like the ram settings, which have to be tuned in manually. Even easy auto-OC settings don't work, and this is a CPU and mobo thats ran 2400+ RAM at very tight timings and done CPU clocks at 6.3Ghz+ at subzero. All the components are good, but the RAM and mobo don't play nice on auto OC settings - it isn't all that uncommon.

I hate trying to cross-reference temps and voltages from Aida64 to what we are used to seeing. CPUz and HWMonitor in the Free vesion have been looked at now for years. We have seen them in regards to varous mobos as well. Just better to get us all on the same page.

Why not just use x20 multiplier and all other votlages to stock/default. An FX-8350 put into the mode am talking about below will be running ALL cores ON. Not just a few or half or some. So set Cpu multiplier to x20 = 4.0Ghz will be the baseline. Baselining is almost a must.
RGone...ster.

Thanks RGone...ster.

The Aida64 was just in addition to HWMonitor (it was the last image in the set). I read somewhere about false readings in HWMonitor so I thought a second opinon, so to speak, would be good. I'll leave it out in the future, one less screencap to crop.

As for the settings, I believe in the above mentioned photos, the multiplier was set at x20. But since all the other settings we set to normal and auto Turbo may have been on.

I'll do new screen shots when I get home, these were only what was available to me.

Thank you.

Thanks a lot I.M.O.G., I realy appreciate it.

I plan to work through it, and learning something along the way is always an added benefit.

Your simple answer, is exactly what I asked for. I'm glad to hear that sometimes Auto-OC doesn't work. I was thinking of rushing out and just getting a better MB to test it...

Like I mentioned, I'll follow through with the information asked for. This place has been a great resource.

Thanks a lot I.M.O.G., I realy appreciate it.

I plan to work through it, and learning something along the way is always an added benefit.

Your simple answer, is exactly what I asked for. I'm glad to hear that sometimes Auto-OC doesn't work. I was thinking of rushing out and just getting a better MB to test it...

Like I mentioned, I'll follow through with the information asked for. This place has been a great resource.

Oh you only wanted answer about Auto Overclock? Don't use it. It sets or adjusts FSB most of the time and if it misreads my ram...then overclock fails.
RGone...

Back