• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming "Stuff-it" mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, its an athlon 1200 system, so it'd be cutting it close with a 200w....very close....plus I intend to put a CCFL in it as well....

Everything else I have is full size....so they take full size power. After all, what's the point of stuffing if you can just use smaller parts?? :D:D:D

Ahhh slug, when i'm finished, this may rival your shoehorning abilities......:D:D:D

Bah, i've seen slug's work....he does good work. I'm just sayin that what i'm gonna do is....heh, difficult. I'm workin with nothin here. I need to make the drive brackets myself, gotta make holes for the mobo risers, gotta do some cutting to make the PSU fit.....and some major stuffing and planning in order to get the CD, floppy, and hard drive fit. The PSU and mobo are going to be easy.....heh.

DaveSauce said:
Well, its an athlon 1200 system, so it'd be cutting it close with a 200w....very close....plus I intend to put a CCFL in it as well....

Read 'Your System' under My profile. Celamines run 1.75V stock, as do the Athlons..:):D:D:D

DaveSauce said:
Ahhh slug, when i'm finished, this may rival your shoehorning abilities......:D:D:D

-shrug-
Small machines aren't new territory. It's just that few people have the patience for it and even fewer take the time and effort to execute their ideas properly.

I'll have to wait and see what you come up with.
-eager face-

DaveSauce said:
Bah, i've seen slug's work....he does good work. I'm just sayin that what i'm gonna do is....heh, difficult. I'm workin with nothin here. I need to make the drive brackets myself, gotta make holes for the mobo risers, gotta do some cutting to make the PSU fit.....and some major stuffing and planning in order to get the CD, floppy, and hard drive fit. The PSU and mobo are going to be easy.....heh.

why don't you buyld it in layers so you could slide each tray out when needed. Or you could attach one thing to every side. That would work.

I am doing it in layers, somewhat.....the drives are most likely going to be mounted above the motherboard.

Yea, I realize that small machines aren't new territory....this isn't really a small machine though. Its a big machine in a small case. I could have purchased a mini-itx board, a 1U PSU, and notebook drives, but that would ruin the fun of it all. The only small-sized part I have is a 1U HSF.....I'm sure I could have found a regular HSF that would fit, but I doubt if they would have been powerful enough. I am using a micro-atx board, but that's not exactly small, in comparison with the mini-itx. In fact, i'm about 1cm short of being able to fit a full size ATX board in there.

And about mounting them on different sides....I've been thinking about that. I might do it, but i'm gonna think about it a little while longer.

I do believe that if I take my time on this and do it right, I can have one helluva mod on my hands. I am hoping to get a lot of work done on it on sunday, but it may take a few more days to finish it. I hope not, but i'll see what happens.

Captain Slug said:

Half of the power leads in your computer are ground. Further grounding would be redundant. I've built numerous machines in all plastic enclosures and they work fine. I however do not recommend rubbing them vigorously on carpet or small furry animals.

that just cracked me up man!!

how big is the case ur crammin it all into then?

not that big. I barely have enough room in there for what I need to put in there. With the PSU and the mobo, all the area is basically taken up.....all i'm left with then is the space above the mobo to use...which is only a few inches......I'm hoping that with a little creativity, I can get it all in there....heh.

Well, so not an update. I had to order the motherboard stand-offs from directron, cuz they're the only place I found them. And I discovered that they had a $10 minimum order, so I ordered more than the stand-offs.

bluecaseLED.jpg

So, in the meantime, I give you this. Quick little 5 minute mod.....I had to meet that $10 minimum order, so I figured while I was there I might as well get something I need. :D

Oh yea, and anyone seen the new deal on www.theforumisdown.com? I bet that'll attract a lot of donations....$5 for unlimited 1MB image uploading for a year? Helluva good deal, I say. I might just sign up.

EDIT:

BTW, the LEDs there are usually green and amber.....they're both blue now, lol.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I suppose I do have an update......ive been a bit under the weather the past 2 days....some sort of stomach flu.....missed so far a single unimportant class, but worse 2 days of work....sucks when you're an hourly associate and you only have a few sick days to use, lol.

Anyhow, looks like my planned day of work tomorrow might not happen....havent eaten much lately, for fear that it will come right back out....dunno if i'll have enough energy to do the nescessary work. Sucks for me, cuz I wanted to get thing up and folding ASAP. Anyhow, considering I was in bed all day yesterday, and I was up and about and I even left the house today, I'm thinking i'll be in good shape very soon....i hope so, at least...i hate being sick.....:(

Stomach flu's a bi-atch ain't it? What works for me sustinence wise is water, saltine crackers, and Sprite/Mountain Dew/Sierra Mist. Hope you get better soon. And some pics of this small space, :D:D:D:D

I personally enjoy being sick (yeah no school) but i have found a couple easy ways to help get better faster.

1) I know it's disgusting but do it anyway. PUKE, you will feel better after it done.

2) Drink a a few swigs of malox or pepto bismal, eat some bread, and puke again.

3) Sit in a bath thats as hot as you can stand and force yourself to relax. (Scent and bubbles optional)

4) Get out a heating blanket crank the sucker to the highest temp it goes to, and add an extra blanket for good measure.

5) Sleep or do something restfull like surf the forums.
6) Return to 1 and repeat as needed

The idea behind puking is this: puking is the bodies way of removing large amounts of toxin from the system very quickly, dont resist it. the bread helps to soke up the contents of your stomach. (note after puking the second time it's a good idea to drink a bit of water and take a little antacid, this helps to sooth the stomach NO solid food though) The hot bath just makes you feel much better. And being nice and warm while relaxing feels great.

Hehe my method is a little sick but hey it works.

ok now this thread has nothing to do with modding, but thats ok. sounds like a great mod, keep up the good work and get better soon so you can do so.

Obsidian said:
I personally enjoy being sick (yeah no school) but i have found a couple easy ways to help get better faster.

1) I know it's disgusting but do it anyway. PUKE, you will feel better after it done.

2) Drink a a few swigs of malox or pepto bismal, eat some bread, and puke again.

3) Sit in a bath thats as hot as you can stand and force yourself to relax. (Scent and bubbles optional)

4) Get out a heating blanket crank the sucker to the highest temp it goes to, and add an extra blanket for good measure.

5) Sleep or do something restfull like surf the forums.
6) Return to 1 and repeat as needed

The idea behind puking is this: puking is the bodies way of removing large amounts of toxin from the system very quickly, dont resist it. the bread helps to soke up the contents of your stomach. (note after puking the second time it's a good idea to drink a bit of water and take a little antacid, this helps to sooth the stomach NO solid food though) The hot bath just makes you feel much better. And being nice and warm while relaxing feels great.

Hehe my method is a little sick but hey it works.

Hey I do the same thing!1 and it owrks too, I was sick yesterday (tho I don't puke if i cna avoid it) and i took the hotest darn shower ever and literly gave myself a feaver, took some dvil beforehand and it prety much induced a feaver, killd the little bug and i was at my friends having a mini 6 person LAN in on time!

Good luck on the mod, can't wait for completion and pics!

ah, i'm feeling much better now....

last night I had a nice large slice of a beef roast with some potatos, and right now I have a deep dish pizza cooking up in the oven. Held it all down so far, so I think i'm good to go...:D

Anyhow, yesterday I began to drill some random holes in the case to make way for the power supply.....I really don't feel like using my dremel for some reason, so I'm using a drill and some wire cutters......heh. Works great, tho, cuz its plastic, and plastic is soft....I'm hoping i'll make a little more headway today by getting the PSU in there, cutting out a hole for the motherboard I/O, and perhaps even mounting the motherboard. Luckily, I have found a perfect size drill bit that creates a hole just large enough that I can screw the mobo risers in and they're nice and tight. woohoo.

You just inspired me to go back to the drawing board for my own little top-secret mod. I kind of put it off due to it's complexity, but I may just go ahead and charge at it full bore. Going to go home after work and map it out, have to take another look at a few things to make sure it'll work. :)

Back