• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming "Stuff-it" mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah, yes, updates.

Well, work has been slow going. The plastic is taking a bit longer to cut than expected. Takes me about 1.5 hrs to get a single set of exhaust/intake grills cut into the plastic (distractions, such as TV, etc...heh). I am nearing the end of cutting the case. Not to mention that I'm doing this in my spare time, which I don't have a whole lot of...heh.

Anyhow, the PSU has been fit, so has the mobo. I am waiting on a slim CDROM drive to come from directron so I can cut the hole fot that and the floppy....then I need to make some mounting brackets for all of the drives. I fear that will be the difficult part. I was planning on making them out the steel I removed from my main rig when I cut the window....steel takes a long time to cut, and I can't cut the steel indoors as I have been doing the plastic....but first I have to design the brackets, and for that I need the drives.

I'm nearing completion. I am just hoping that I will be able to get all the drives in there. If the specs from directron are correct, and my imprecise measuring is correct, I should have enough room for the cd and floppy. I am a bit concerned about the HD, tho. But, with a little luck, I should be able to get it in.

Oh yea, I did have a minor setback.....broke something I shouldn't have, lol. I did manage to fix it tho, and in the end you won't even know anything had happened. I will describe the details when I post all the pics.

All I have to say is that I HOPE BEYOND HOPE that this hasn't been done before. Or else all of this secrecy and hype has been for nothing....I don't want to disappoint all of you who are anticipating the final product....heh.

Heh, yea, I want to see mine too, rofl.

Well, I only have one class tomorrow and I don't work, so I have a lot of time to work. Problem is I don't have the slim CD yet....gah. The fedex tracker says it should be here on thursday....problem is I don't know where all the screw holes on it are, so I can't make a bracket until I get it. And that means that sunday would be the earliest I could get it done....i'm busy thurs-fri-sat...gah.

I'm hoping that I can get enough work done tomorrow where I will be able to get it done on sunday. Whether it's running or not, I'll post pics once all the parts are assembled....as well as lots o pics and a kinda step by step thing.

So, unfortunately, sunday is the earliest that I can get it done by. ick.

I can help you there. But I don't recommend mounting it with screws. I actually found and bought the screws need to do that and they're REALLY small.

I opted for a custom plastic retaining clamp that I made with some spacers, 2 scraps of lexan, and some bolts.

hm, may have to do that. I have a rather large piece of plexi lying about, cuz when I made my window I didn't know when it would come in handy. And here we are, heh.

I might just do that. I'm still gonna need the drive before I make any plans for the brackets, however.....which is really annoying....I still need to cut a hole for the floppy and CD, but I can't when I don't have the CD. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, or where it's going to go.

Eh, the most I can do right now is mount a few fans. I would start the bracket for the HD, but I don't know where it's gonna go yet. that depends entirely on how well the CD fits.

GAH how frustrating. Hrm, I might be able to start on making the plexi clamps. I could just attach those to a steel bracket.

This sucks cuz I have the entire day to work, and I have no work to do. I would go pick up some parts (for the minor setback mentioned in a previous post), but alas my car is in the shop.

oh well. meanwhile I can have fun playing with an oscilloscope I found in the basement....w00t!

Back