• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPDATE: New Rig WON'T TURN ON!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would set it up as Knufires first post. Maybe drop to a HD 7950 though (Or even 7870, which is generally enough for 1080p); and consider a new case too though? The Antec 900 is quite aged now, especially if you've got the original model. The Bitfenix Shinobi sounds like a decent choice? (If you wanted to go down this route)

I would set it up as Knufires first post. Maybe drop to a HD 7950 though (Or even 7870, which is generally enough for 1080p); and consider a new case too though? The Antec 900 is quite aged now, especially if you've got the original model. The Bitfenix Shinobi sounds like a decent choice? (If you wanted to go down this route)

??

The Antec 900 is still perfectly good and relevant. It has good cooling. That's all that matters. It's not like they've changed the ATX specification since that case was released. Totally unnecessary for this person to get a new case IMO.

Theocnoob, I'm probably not going to overclock, just as I feel it'll be unnecessary for what I need, at least at first. If I want to do it down the line, can shell out on the extra cooling kit, you know? Does that make sense?

And I think the general consensus is my case and PSU are pretty solid to keep using? This case has been amazing. I don't think it has ever felt hot.

Gotta hit the bed now (work tomorrow), but will likely update with a potential build (i.e. list the parts), and reassess/ask you guys if it'll do what I want/need tomorrow.

Please keep the posts coming!

P.s. This is the optical driver I have: " LiteON LH-20A1L-14C 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter." Will I need a new one? Don't think I've ever had any problems with it.

Last edited:
It's more than the cooling kit, it's also getting a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and a motherboard that both and the VRM (power delivery) section to support an OCed CPU.

It's more than the cooling kit, it's also getting a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and a motherboard that both and the VRM (power delivery) section to support an OCed CPU.

I'm sorry, Knufire, what are you referring to? Don't want to miss what you said, but my simple brain is a bit lost, haha.

P.s. Check my last post w question about optical drive, too.

I'm sorry, Knufire, what are you referring to? Don't want to miss what you said, but my simple brain is a bit lost, haha.

P.s. Check my last post w question about optical drive, too.

The CPU must have a K on the end of it and the motherboard has to be higher tier than the one in Knufire's second post. You're looking at about a hundred pounds vs forty or fifty.

The CPU must have a K on the end of it and the motherboard has to be higher tier than the one in Knufire's second post. You're looking at about a hundred pounds vs forty or fifty.

Ah, I see. Yes, I'd more likely go for the more expensive (higher tier) options from the first post, then, as I'd like to get the most powerful, and best quality motherboard/processor combo I can afford (along w gfx card and ram).

Does that make sense? Thoughts?

The higher price of the motherboard reflects more VRM components (they supply power to the CPU), more controllers (extra SATA ports, etc) and so forth. Usually, but not always, these components (mainly the VRM ones) will be higher quality as well. But an expensive motherboard will, in and of itself, not afford you higher performance. Neither will a K processor. They're just what you need to overclock.

It's up to you. If you think you might overclock later, get the K cpu, the higher tier MOBO, and a good CPU cooler now. That way you have them in place.

Guys, how does this look?

RAM: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel (LN35345 on Scan - link seems to break/show a different RAM when I put it here)
CPU: Intel CPU i5 4670K Socket 1150 Quad Core Haswell
MB: Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Socket 1150
GFX CARD: Sapphire HD 7970 OC Edition OR XFX Black Edition Radeon HD 7970 (XFX seems like a better option, but you guys will have to tell me)

£664.78 OR £677.53

Then maybe add a 1TB HDD on top. Or keep current HDD and add SSD? Want to try keep price as low as possible at this point. <700/even less would be great.

I heard something about 1.5V RAM being more stable, but if you lot think that's unfounded, let's keep the current RAM. Also, between Sapphire card or XFX, due to a recommendation saying XFX could be a bad choice (but I think going by spec it is slightly more powerful?) - what's a better choice/which is better quality, what do you lot think?

Overall thoughts?! Thanks for the responses, my friends!

P.s. I just read this article, and at one point it suggested that running two of these cards in CrossFire, you'd get similar performance to the 7970. Difference is, it'd save me £50!

What are you guys thoughts on this? Would the overall quality be less, would I have to get a worse motherboard, etc etc... I love the idea of running two cards. Quite exciting. But, understand if the 7970 is the better choice.

Last edited:
P.s. I just read this article, and at one point it suggested that running two of these cards in CrossFire, you'd get similar performance to the 7970. Difference is, it'd save me £50!

What are you guys thoughts on this? Would the overall quality be less, would I have to get a worse motherboard, etc etc... I love the idea of running two cards. Quite exciting. But, understand if the 7970 is the better choice.

Even though that may be true, you would hit a wall at some point, because of only having 1GB memory. To get an idea how much games use, click here. I believe most people will try to steer you away from only having 1GB of memory.

I would suggest u get one single better card. To use 2 cards SLI/Xfire, you´ll need to upgrade your PSU, and buy a better Motherboard to accommodate 2 cards. Also you may have some compatibility issues when setting it up (not that many, but may not want to deal with it as a first time builder). Only good aspect about Dual GPU is, IMO, when after 1/2 years u can get a second GPU on sale for a great price and just stick it in there.

I would go for the slightly more expensive card. Plus as far as I know its not like the cards stack up completely (won´t get double VRAM for 2 cards, etc..)

That is my opinion at least, but I don´t know that much about it.

Haha, well that was pretty unanimous... one card it is!

What about the XFX vs. the Sapphire question? I'm feeling the XFX as overall it looks like a better, more powerful card, but I would trust Sapphire's quality over XFX. Is that just an old school mindset that I should do away with, though?

Which is the better choice?

As Knufire said, they are very similar. Look at the one with higher OC if u are into that. If not, look at the noise and power consumption.Specially be aware of any deals, etc. But don´t forget that it is your PC and if u feel more comfortable with one or the other just pick the one u prefer, we are here just to advice.

And so, in which case, I could get the Sapphire, the cheaper option, and not see a loss in performance?

Thinking I may stick with current HDD!

P.s. Could up the ram with the extra cash? Any other suggestions to increase performance? :)

Yeah go with sapphire if its cheaper (don´t know uk prices). It is same chip, only difference is the cooling and PVC.

I strongly suggest u get an SSD, it will massively improve ur PC performance. It is as noticeable as upgrading a CPU or RAM. BUT, get AT LEAST 120gb, if not it will be out of space in no time. Samsung Pro series are a good pick, and if u love Corsair like myself, then their SSDs are very good. Storage units go on sale quite often, u can wait for a flash sale on some sites (like newegg in the US)

Back