• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPDATE: New Rig WON'T TURN ON!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oops, the XFX is cheaper. And in which case, I could probably go with Knufire's setup. Excluding the aftermarket cooler.

Are you guys SURE SSD makes that much of a difference?! It's an extra £80, but I guess if it helps overall performance a lot, and since it is the future...

See the difference for yourself-
It is a massive difference. But don´t go with the SSD in his setup. Go with the SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB. It is a small price difference and capacity, but the pro version is more reliable. U can see more on the Storage section of the forums.

I can't build a system without one anymore that I have to use at some point. It's just too big a performance difference for general usage.

Well, alllright! I'll look through some options and post them here, as again, want to keep cost low!

And presumably, I would just run the SSD and HDD like my current HDD's partitions? I.e. SSD = Windows, anti-virus, a couple of other things; HDD = games, programs, ~everything else.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hey, guys, me again!

So, my next paycheck has come through, and I'm ready to do some buying. Wanted to double-check everything in my build is still good tech, and I should go ahead:

RAM: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel
CPU: Intel CPU i5 4670K Socket 1150 Quad Core Haswell
MB: Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Socket 1150
GFX CARD: XFX Black Edition Radeon HD 7970
SSD: ?

How's that look? Any changes to be made?

Still unsure on SSD. Can see my thread on it here. Really don't want to spend too much on it, but want to get a decent piece of kit. Any advice?

Samsung 840 Evo 120gb. Cheaper than the pro. But faster than the standard 840. Build looks good otherwise.

Perfect and done. Mjolnir, you've been a great help. And last question: difference between these two GPUs, and is the extra £30 worth it (i.e. will it give me a performance increase worth that price?):

XFX HD 7970 Double Dissipation Edition AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 3GB
XFX Black Edition Radeon HD 7970 AMD/ATI Graphics Card - 3GB

Thanks very much for the help, everyone!

Nope. No real difference between the two. Grab the cheapest! The MSI Twin Frozr is another good card you could look at. Save another five quid. Lol

Nope. No real difference between the two. Grab the cheapest! The MSI Twin Frozr is another good card you could look at. Save another five quid. Lol

This one?! It's like £15 less but looks like a WAY better graphics card than both (going by 4GB instead of 3GB, and better clock speeds)... Am I wrong?! If you guys could reply ASAP, that'd be great. Want to order today!! ;)

Edit: Oh wait, I can see it has "less cores"?? And "memory bit rate?

So what's better, the Frozr, or the XFX Double Dissapation?

I think I'll probably just stick with the 7970, as even though it is only 3GB, and not 4GB, it seems to be recommended more on other threads as the best card for this price.

Sound about right?

How does this look (see attachment)?

Will be recycling (parts from 2008, but seem to have no issues): my Antec 900, my optical drive (LiteOn 20x DVD±RW), and my HDD (Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB), and PSU (Corsair HX 520W).

Peripheral-wise, I have: monitor, keyboard, mouse, and case.

Does that all 'fit', and sound good? No last minute changes to be made? And still ok to recycle those parts?

Just let me know, and I'll push the button! Crazy appreciate all the help, people.

Attachments

• pc parts.png
    pc parts.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
How does this look (see attachment)?

Will be recycling (parts from 2008, but seem to have no issues): my Antec 900, my optical drive (LiteOn 20x DVD±RW), and my HDD (Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB), and PSU (Corsair HX 520W).

Peripheral-wise, I have: keyboard, mouse, and case.

Does that all 'fit', and sound good? No last minute changes to be made? And still ok to recycle those parts?

Just let me know, and I'll push the button! Crazy appreciate all the help, people.

Perfect ;)

Also. The 7970 > 760. The 4gb frame buffer is somewhat useless if the card can't keep up with the res it's trying to push that'd require that much vram. For 1080p the 7970 is more than enough :)

Perfect ;)

Also. The 7970 > 760. The 4gb frame buffer is somewhat useless if the card can't keep up with the res it's trying to push that'd require that much vram. For 1080p the 7970 is more than enough :)

Thanks, mate!

Scan are offering this thing where you pay like £20 for Scansure which protects your items during installation, i.e. they will replace them for no charge if you damage them during installation.

I didn't have anything like that when I bought my last PC, and afaik, all parts have RMA/can be returned anyway if they're broken (out of the box)...

Is it worth it? :S

Edit: I think I might get it, just to be safe! HELP ME OUT, I'M LITERALLY ON THE CHECKOUT PAGE WAITING TO PUT MY CARD DETAILS IN!

Nevermind, I got it!

Will post pics of the new build - either way, you'll probs see me asking for building advice as well, as it's 5 years since I've done anything like this! :)

Edit: In fact, any tips for building? I remember I had MASSIVE issues with my current build, and it took 2 months to realise we needed to update the BIOS on the motherboard. Anything like this I need to look out for?

Gonna do a complete, fresh install of Windows 8, so obv gfx drivers etc are easy. Just the weird stuff like above I need some advice on.

And any good pc building guides to recommend (which work w the parts I've picked - cos I think things have changed a lot since 2k8, lol!!)

SO EXCITEDDDD FFFFHHSSLKJKJJKL

Edit 2: And now the paranoia sets in... you guys are DEFINITELY sure my PSU is fine? I love my PSU, it's never had any issues, and I never even feel the PSU overheat, let alone the tower itself... but, I'm just paranoid. Please soothe my nerves.

Last edited:
Back