• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPDATE: New Rig WON'T TURN ON!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's not vengeance model? The one you linked. As long as the ram is 1600 cl9 (2*4gb) and 1.5v it's fine. Try to avoid 1.65v.

Also your psu is fine. Replace it another day.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v

Grab this ram if you can I guess.

That's the ram I tried to link! But the hyperlink redirects to some funky ram, :S .

www. scan.co.uk /products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-low-profile-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600mhz)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-

So, that ram is ok, yeah? (added spaces so you can see)

Yeah, for sure. Sweet, so the PSU can handle all the stuff? Yes, traumatic experiences with PSUs as a young lad, lol - I'm just paranoid. How will I know when to replace it? Because presumably, if it's never faulting, there's no need to replace?

Yeah ram is fine. True. I'd probably replace it 5-6 years after its purchase? Just a random number. I'm not a psu expert so I don't know when you should swap in and out appropriately.

Yeah ram is fine. True. I'd probably replace it 5-6 years after its purchase? Just a random number. I'm not a psu expert so I don't know when you should swap in and out appropriately.

Oo, my Corsair was bought in late 2008, lol, :eek: . But, I've literally never had ANY problems with it. EVER. Should be fine, right?

Edit: Like, almost certain my PSU will be fine. But, would something like this - which seems like the current day equivalent of what I've got - really help the system that much more/make it safer?

I'd prefer to save the money, but also I genuinely think the current PSU is boss. If my PSU starts failing in a couple years, can always get one then, no need to waste the money now if it's not bottle-necking my system.

ThoughtS?

Last edited:
It's not going to bottleneck. Psus are generally designed (the good ones) to run within and past their warranty period at basically 100% load. So if you haven't been pushing it a lot. It'll be fine for a while still I'd say.

Uh. Was there supposed to be a link there? I can't see it.

It's not going to bottleneck. Psus are generally designed (the good ones) to run within and past their warranty period at basically 100% load. So if you haven't been pushing it a lot. It'll be fine for a while still I'd say.

Uh. Was there supposed to be a link there? I can't see it.

Nvm bro, was just some 600W Corsair, for like £60. Lol.

My PSU will be fine, like you guys say. Order is placed. Parts should be here tomorrow. :)

Thoughts on using Arctic Silver as opposed to default paste? Any guides on how to do that? And general PC building guides (new ones), since it's been 5 years since I did this!!!

As paste is very outdated. I bet you're new paste is better.

I bought the Arctic Silver March last year (March 06, 2012). I think I opened it, but never used it.

So, use that instead of the default, or use default?

Sorry, you confused me a bit to which is outdated or not, lol.

I bought the Arctic Silver March last year (March 06, 2012). I think I opened it, but never used it.

So, use that instead of the default, or use default?

Sorry, you confused me a bit to which is outdated or not, lol.

You are welcome to read the forums, or Google about Tpaste, what is better these days. That is up to you. AS-5 is beat by 2-3 C all the time these days by common newer pastes.

You're welcome to read and use Google for Tpaste reviews.

One that might show up by Vapor, read it.

UPDATE:

PC is all (as best my knowledge serves me) set up... but, it won't turn on, :( .

Basically, when I first hit the power switch, all 'lights' and fans briefly zip on, literally for about half a second, then stop dead. Then, if you try again, nothing happens... if you wait a bit and/or turn the PSU off then on, the single light flicker happens again. The green light on the MB is constantly on, which I think means power is being supplied to it correctly... so I'm really confused.

Details that may help: optical is in SATA 1, SSD is in SATA 2, old HDD (with old OS/files/etc still on it; was planning on booting from SSD, as Windows 8 is in the optical drive currently, then wiping old HDD from there) is in SATA 3; 4 case fan's 4-pins are each plugged into each other, then into one 4-pin power connected to PSU (I'm sure this should be fine, as had similar set-up on old rig).

Can't think of anything else other than a part being dead. Absolutely depressed right now.

Please ask me ANYTHING about this that may help you... i.e. how it's wired, anything to do with the parts, etc.

May take it to a shop tomorrow for assistance, as not great at solving these things myself. Thanks for the help.

P.s. If you need me to take pictures, I can do that too.

3.3 volt circuit to Mobo, mobo don't see it fast enough, it shuts down.

Or you have the PSU connected wrong.

Where could this 3.3v circuit be coming to the mobo from? The 4 case fans that are plugged into each other, and then into the psu?

In retrospect, the PSU may be connected wrong, I'm a bit confused: the CPU is connected to a cord that says "CPU" on it that comes directly from inside the PSU, but on the modular ports, there is a 8-pin dlot called "8 4+4 CPU"...? This is currently connected to the 8-pin on the GFX card.

On second thought: that part is labelled "8 4+4 CPU & 6+2 PCI-E", so I think that part is wired correctly.

What do you think?

I've got a feeling it may be the case fan set up - a pic is attached. If I connect each of these to their own 4-pin on the splitter (that connects into the PSU), as opposed to just one, could that make a difference?

EDIT: Just tried the case fan thing... didn't work.

Other note: when the lights "flick on" for a second, it makes a click sound??

Attachments

• IMAG0790.jpg
    IMAG0790.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Unplug the graphics card. Try the onboard video alone. If it boots up normally it's either an issue with your graphics card or the way you've cabled it.

Unplug the graphics card. Try the onboard video alone. If it boots up normally it's either an issue with your graphics card or the way you've cabled it.

Will do when I get home. And you mean unplug it completely, i.e. remove GFX card from the MB as well as any PSU cables going into it?

Any other ideas to keep in mind, too? Or just keep trying things sequentially?

Would you say don't take it to shop later, then? I think I will probably still do so, as I have a little gaming YouTube channel, and I need my PC to make videos, so really gotta get it sorted ASAP, :( . And this is far beyond my pale of troubleshooting... when I built my last PC, it took me 3 months to get it sorted, and the solution was to simply update the BIOS! Really can't afford to have that downtime again, :( . Help, :( !

Really appreciate the help Mjolnir, you've been a top lad!

Edit: And it can't be to do with the HDD still having info on it, right?!

There are two wires that need to be connected to the MoBo. The large 24 pin on the right hand side of the board and the 8 pin in the top left.

Are they both connected?

Will do when I get home. And you mean unplug it completely, i.e. remove GFX card from the MB as well as any PSU cables going into it?

Any other ideas to keep in mind, too? Or just keep trying things sequentially?

Would you say don't take it to shop later, then? I think I will probably still do so, as I have a little gaming YouTube channel, and I need my PC to make videos, so really gotta get it sorted ASAP, :( . And this is far beyond my pale of troubleshooting... when I built my last PC, it took me 3 months to get it sorted, and the solution was to simply update the BIOS! Really can't afford to have that downtime again, :( . Help, :( !

Really appreciate the help Mjolnir, you've been a top lad!

Edit: And it can't be to do with the HDD still having info on it, right?!

Yeah completely remove the gpu. The hdd having info on it shouldn't matter for booting up into bios. Only into Windows if you're trying to run Windows off the old hdd (which you shouldn't be).

Don't try to change more than one thing about the build at a time to avoid confusion for the issue. Change one thing. If same issue. Put it back. Change another. After each individual piece has been checked like that. I'd take it out of the rig. And run it outside the case to make sure it's not shorting out on a stand off or something. Keep us posted.

Friends, I took it to a shop in central London - pretty much the only useful one I've ever been to, and... fixed! It was the BIOS on the GFX card being messed up, trying to take too much power from the PSU. They corrected that, and, well, here I am posting off my new rig. :)

I had to get it done, as I have a small YouTube channel that I'm trying to grow, and any time not doing vids is, essentially, wasted! It's the same as my account name here, if you want to check it out (Mantrousse) - gaming and comedy. Subscriptions from you guys would mean a lot!!!

Massive, massive personal thanks to Mjolnir for the consistent help... and then also: Knufire for pretty much giving me the build specs, theocnoob, and conumdrum for trying to help at the end, too!

Ya'll want pics or anything? Not much to see, lol!

Last edited:
Umm how did the BIOS on the GPU be messed up since you never messed with it? Sounds like a car mechanic saying the muffler bearing was bent? There is no muffler bearing BTW.

Trying to take too much power from the PSU? Righttttt...........

Back