• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating bios need some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

I have been having problems with the MOBO in my sig. Problems with my VGA, random freezes and no video upon boot sometimes i can switch to my onboard graphics and it works good but i still get the occasional freezes but it is rare.

I am going to update the bios on my vga card as well.

Had no problems before i reinstalled OS.

I have never had to update a bios so i am clue less.

Is the technique the same for all mobos?

Thanks,

All

Essentially, the technique is the same for all motherboard makes. Most mobo manufacturers offer two ways to update the bios: 1. a Windows-based automated utility and 2. a DOS-based manually executed file.

Doing it in Windows is easier but doing it in DOS is more foolproof. If you have no experience with DOS, use the Windows utility. With the DOS method you have to create a bootable floppy disc or a flash drive, copy the flasher program and the new bios file onto the medium and execute a DOS command from the "DOS promp" in order to set the process in motion.

With the Windows utility it is important to close all open programs before flashing the bios.

In either case, after the flash is complete, set all bios parameters to "Default" (usually by hitting the F9 key) before booting into windows.

I have used both methods and not had problems with either one. Your board manufacturer's website should have instructions for both methods and offer the flasher utility for download as well.

Some motherboards also have a bios flash utility built into the bios. I have never tried one of these.

Last edited:
Back