• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Bios on old IC7 Abit board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KarlRHart

Hello everyone, overclockers virgin here, best wishes to you all.

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice. My system is a tad old and I'm getting a frequent blue screen crash and when the system reboots it gives a "BIOS ROM Checksum Error" message.

My system is a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz with 2Gig RAM and the board is a:

ABIT IC7 (Intel) 875P/ICH 5-R
FSB 800/533 - Dual DDR Sata RAID

I'm reading of the side of the box here hehe.. sorry.

Well, I've had a search on the net and I do find links which correspond to possible solutions, but it seems the links are either out of date, or are for other more specific errors I can't recognise. I was hoping that any guys from here could point me in the right direction to aquire the correct bios flash program that I need. The BIOS version for my board is 26 (based on the last two digits on the POST screen.) My good old system has lasted me for a number of years, and unfortunately I cant look at upgrading to multi core in the forseeable future, so if I can squeeze a bit more time out of my system I'd be really happy.

Thanks folks, best wishes again.

Karl

Ah.. yeah I thought something was up with the site. Thanks so much for the link too :) Fingers crossed it works :)

Hello again folks, I thought it ok to update you on my recent attempt to flash my bios and hopefully cure my Bios ROM errors.

I managed to successfully flash the Bios (from v26 to v28) and hoped it might have cured the situation. To be honest it didn't, but I did read somewhere (on this forum I think) that it might be wise to check the seating of components (cards, CPU etc).

So I powered down and gently pressed all components (exept the CPU) and then decided to check the thermal paste on the CPU. I'd read also the possibility of the coating not being sufficient and could possibly be the cause of many problems (either from uneven thermal heatsinking or contact netween the CPU and heatsink.)

So I removed the old paste and coated a slightly thicker coating, and (without tempting fate :-/ ) I have had no problems since I did this. Whether it was the seating check or replacing the thermal paste I'm not sure, but I thought it a good idea to update you folks in case it helped anyone else.

Thanks,

Karl :salute:

FYI = Whether it was the seating check and by a factor of 10 to 1 it was reseating components. Most likely the ram reseating fixed the problem.

Back