• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating my kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorockstar84

Hey guys, i'm back and soon i'll have enough to buy my kit. You told me to come when i'm going to be near to buy it. So here we are, there's my build and how could i upgrade it for gaming?

MSI X79A-GD65(8D) Frio Adv LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 100% Modular, Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMT16GX3M4X2133C9

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thank you all guys for your help!

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

I'm planning of a lot of online gaming (League of legends, Diablo III, Skyrim...), minecraft modding and eventually some programming. I have a budget of 2000$ without windows and without peripheals. I'm in Canada and i'm doing my wishlist on Newegg and surely buy on tigerdirect. Overclocking would be a nice idea, but i'm not sure if it's really necessary. I don't have some precisions on the build. I would like that my computer would be a box built for continuous upgrading and for the NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX... i've heard that it's not very effective if it is then yes it would be very nice.

Oh and i'm hosting and creating a minecraft server with my friends and I insist to keep my 16gb RAM and to upgrade the SSD without taking it off.

Last edited:
I've been looking around for some feedbacks and i found that my videocard wouldn't be that great... maybe someone could check this information and i think that gettint them in crossfire would be a good idea finaly. Fast answers would be appreciated.. i will have to buy my set up real soon since it's for a school IB project and that i want to do it this summer so i can have it for me earlier as possible and to have done my project before school restarts.

Last edited:
TRUE Spirit 140
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V G.SKILL Ripjaws or Ares or Corsair Vengeance (LP)
ASUS GTX670 DC2
OCZ ZT 650W
240GB Agility 3
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Lian Li K9WX

Probably well under your budget but it meets all your needs and maxes out pretty much every game put there. You can also upgrade to SLI in the future as well.

Extended Essay? I feel your pain...should probably start that soon.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for your help, but i changed my mind... i was with my brother and he told me that i should just "downgrade" my CPU and my video card, so i did change my CPU for a i5 ivy bridge, but its a LGA 1155 and my actual motherboard is a 2011 so i need another one and a videocard to fit with it... i would like it to be NVIDIA for gaming. If possible.

Sorry for that

did you already get the motherboard? LGA2011 is overly expensive and not really meant for gaming, as your brother suggested. Returning the motherboard might be worth it, 1155 is a few hundred bucks cheaper than 2011.

Ok, so am i fine with that?:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

ASUS GTX670 DC2

SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 100% Modular, Active PFC Power Supply

intel core i5 ivy bridge 3570-k

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Last edited:
now that i look at it, i realize that it's pretty much the same... i was just wondering about the PSU... if it's fine then this is solved.. i'll update my picture when my set up will be done

Thank you

It's actually a very good PSU, just a bit overkill for your needs. Even if you add a second 670 and overclock the hell out of everything, you would never break 650W. Both Ivy Bridge and the GTX670 are VERY power efficient.

Back