• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RxL

Registered
hey guys I'm new to this place and I'm seeking advice on a GPU upgrade

currently im running a XFX R9 270x Boost and I'm looking to upgrade massively from this card since its being handed down to a family member but the card
i am after is the Geforce GTX 980ti (this is a must) but i'm finding it hard on which out of the 2 models i want so some help would be appreciated alot

so here is the card and model i want

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980ti

and models

EVGA GTX 980ti Superclocked+ acx 2.0+
or
EVGA GTX 980ti Kingpin with either 80% or 72% asic

but as i know from the evga website the 80% asic well out of stock atm so any help guys would be great

AFAIK Kingpins are built for benching under extreme cooling. For day to day use id go w/ the SC+

due to funds atm it will be a 1080p gaming for a very short while and hoping to jump to 1440p as soon as i can afford a better screen which im hoping wont be long

I would just go with a 980 for 1440p, personally.
That said, if you're dead set on sticking to one of the two listed, get the Superclocked version.

The KINGPIN is made for sub ambient benchmarking with enthusiasts that are going to heavily overclock it and give it voltage well past what Nvidia tells you is safe.
It's a waste of money for a gaming system.

yes I'm very set on one of the two cards to be honest i hate being behind on gfx cards by a huge margin so i thought to my self this time I'm getting a top end card for sure so i think ill take the 980ti superclocked+ acx 2.0+ version and thanks alot for the advice and help much appreciated

You'll be very happy with the 980Ti for quite a while, it's a HUGE improvement over that 270X!!
It'll be more than double the FPS you get currently assuming you have a CPU that won't bottleneck it.

im looking forward to getting one now and im running a amd fx-8350 im hoping it wont bottleneck ive seen a video apparently showing no signs of a bottleneck but maybe im wrong

Back