• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade components?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K_King

I currently have a 700D and Thermochill TA 120.4, DDC-1+ with XSPC ResTop. Now to the best of my knowledge and receipts I purchased the radiator like 9 years ago 😂 and the pump is probably about 6 along with the ResTop.

Do I need to get new parts? I’ve just upgraded my computer since 2012 and I had honestly thought my parts were newer but I guess time flies. I have had 0 issues but of course I will be taking it apart and cleaning the radiator and barbs. As much as I don’t WANT to buy all new parts I can’t help thinking I should while I’m putting it all together again. I really like how my rad has been with monster SunAces at 1000 rpm so it’s super quiet.

Thoughts?

I was looking at the EK XE and maybe the RX480 from XS (they seem to have taken the TC name - website routes to them now)

Why would you need to buy new WC stuff if yours is alright?!?!?!? Just clean it and put in new fluid.

Why would you need to buy new WC stuff if yours is alright?!?!?!? Just clean it and put in new fluid.

I agree, just wasn't sure since I've had it soooooooo long if it was like some sort of "rule" to replace things after awhile. Been out of the game a long time :l

I would do a proper break down and cleaning (as should be done annually, really). But if its working......... :)

When the loop is apart being drained and cleaned, check to see if the hoses are still flexible. After nearly a decade in use, it might be time to install new hoses. Water pumps will eventually go bad, but if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. If you were doing an upgrade to your computer (new motherboard and CPU, etc.), then that would be the time to upgrade the watercooling loop, in my opinion.

Yeah i forgot about that, he should replace the hoses, if the pump isn't making any funny noises its probably fine but if you are taking it apart for cleaning check the ball bearing.

If the pump is being cleaned and inspected, check the impeller, I've seen them corrode and/or erode before. I agree with what was said earlier about draining and cleaning at least once a year. That said, it's been 1.5 years since the last time I cleaned mine. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. You'll be amazed at how much crud builds up in the water block and radiator. You will learn to do the radiator cleaning shake dance.

Thanks guys, I am replacing CPU, GPU and MB right now, which is why I was wondering if I should just get new WC stuff as well. I have a new CPU and GPU block and new tubing to go in.

Back