• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes the 3.34 was stable with those settings my LLC is set to auto, should it be something else?

Cool .... when you are posting results please post all the screens ..... HWMonitor CPUZ main, and memory..... please. keeps everyone on the same page

Set the LLC to HIGH and added 3 clicks on cpuv and has 255 on the bus, it posted but with the same sttings as 3.514.. Why i that? Do i have to wipe cmos everytime, seems so because i cant change anything??

you shouldn't have to clear your cmos ...... a simple F10 and enter should save your new settings for you.

It saves them allright, just dosnt post them.. Still stuck at 3.5..

Last edited:
Asus ROG Crosshair Formula-Z = probably one of the best overclocking AM3+ mobo around. So if you are moving the FSB up by 5 or so and the computer shows them as in place in bios and the board boots but at the previous lower settings even with the newer ones in place; you have something on Auto that most of us never leave on Auto. Maybe cpu level up or some odd shett like that. OR it could be that bumping the FSB up has moved the ram speed up beyond what it needs to be and the board is checking itself and just booting at the lower but stable settings.

I am actually not sure without seeing the bios pics from F-12 to Usb stick formatted to FAT32. Just never seen such as you are seeing since I know everything I will turn off and do so almost the first trip into the bios.

The only other thing that even rings any sort of bell in my what-ifs is that the earlier bioses were all aimed at not-yet FX processors. In fact most had to flash the bios to get to employ the FX. So it might be some super odd shett caused by early Thuban and using latest bios that is by all accounts aimed at FX processor.

I am typing on a CHV-Z board but I cannot think of anything I can go change to make it act like you describe with my FX-8350 in it.
RGone...ster.

Just want to correct something... yes, it can use 8 cores, but to what advantage? (Cliff Notes: Look at how the intel chips scaled from 4c to 4c/8t to 6c/12t It didn't - Look at the AMD 4100 to the 8350 4c to 8c - It didn't either outside of clockspeed differences you can see in the other graphs)

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

I dont know why but dice defaults the engine to use only 4 threads, there were config file changes you can do to force more threads which didnt work. But the engine can use 8 and when it does I certainly see a difference, its all relative to what map your running if you ask me. Of course on some thing like metro you probably wont see a difference, but something more CPU heavy you probably will. I remember when dice decided to allow more threads around the time when mantle was first implemented, I saw in screen after inputing the command (I forgot which it was) to see thread usage it was showing 7 threads and during this short period before another patch I saw BF4 perform at its best.

All OC stuff is on manual, ram speeds dosnt exeed the 1333 mark, set the NB and HT at around 2048. Maybe i have forgot some setting, the CnQ, APM, Turbo Core, C1/E is disabled, cant find the C6 anywhere. LLC set to auto worked on getting to the 3.5 with these settings after i cleared cmos i whent directly to the 3.52 mark, works fine, however ever everything i do now seems to be saved but not posting.

But foe now i will enjoy Christmas with the family, here i Denmark its on 24th so will be back to check answers sometime after that, Merry X-mas to all of you!

Merry Christmas!

I have been working on it and got it to work on a setting looking some kind of stable (no errors for 7 hours +) cant give it anymore fsb due to the RAM beeing pushed over the edge. I have a set of 1600 but they won´t fit before the cooler is changed.. due to heatsinks on them...View attachment 157743
Max degrees has been 49 on the CPU, i messed up and closed HWMonitor instead of minimizing :/
View attachment 157744View attachment 157745View attachment 157746

I guess if i whant more i have got to go on the volts?

I also flipped the exhaust fan on the backside to intake and using one of the fans in the front for exhaust instaed giving me 3 degrees more to play with. :)

Is it completly hopeless for me reaching 3.8-4.0?

Last edited:
Honestly it is hard to say ..... from your screen shot I can't tell if those temps are at load or not. If at load you have room to play. If you have not had HWMonitor running when starting prime this would explain this. Do't be afraid to add some volts ...... if you want more then eventually you will have to, just watch your temps. You can lower your ram, remember as you add FSB your ram will come back up.

Honestly it is hard to say ..... from your screen shot I can't tell if those temps are at load or not. If at load you have room to play. If you have not had HWMonitor running when starting prime this would explain this. Do't be afraid to add some volts ...... if you want more then eventually you will have to, just watch your temps. You can lower your ram, remember as you add FSB your ram will come back up.

Yes i messed up closed monitor window so that explaines the temps, it did hit 49 at max, has been over the 251 but it goes bluescreen on me so this is the most stable on fsb i can go, will try to add some more volts, what would you say is max (safe) temps on the chip?

What cpu should i throw on it if i am going for it, i am planning on one more gpu when the money is jumping out the wallet anyways :D

Not on AMD you shouldn't. Vastly inferior multi GPU performance vs Intel. WHen money is jumping out of the wallet look at a Z97/4690K or 4790K setup.

If you want to OC your phenom you will need a proper aftermarket CPU cooler. You won't get far on the stock cooler.

Max safe temps for 24/7 use for the PI X6 was around 55*C core .... so your package temp in HWMonitor

Not on AMD you shouldn't. Vastly inferior multi GPU performance vs Intel. WHen money is jumping out of the wallet look at a Z97/4690K or 4790K setup.

If you want to OC your phenom you will need a proper aftermarket CPU cooler. You won't get far on the stock cooler.

I´m not on stock cooling, but Corsair A70, soon replaced by Corsair Hydro H90 HP..

SLI never has scaled as good as crossfire, thats proven on any bench site
Oh come on...they both vary so widely there is no way to conclusively tell. Scaling will vary by title, resolution, and settings among other things. I'd be curious to see some links.supporting that assertion...

I also believe TOCN was talking in regards to the cpu pushing the multi gpu setup, not scaling of the cards. ;)

Oh come on...they both vary so widely there is no way to conclusively tell. Scaling will vary by title, resolution, and settings among other things.

I also believe TOCN was talking in regards to the cpu pushing the multi gpu setup, not scaling of the cards. ;)

Dude dont make me pull out sclaing benchies right now im multitasking file transfers and other crap lol

Back