• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foopsz

Ok so my specs right now are
+ Processor: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz
+ Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
+ Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 760 EVGA ACX
+ RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600
+ HDD: Western Digital 1Tb HDD Caviar Green
+ Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
+ Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TR-600
+ Computer Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912

I try to livestream a little.

Specs > Looks so I dont really need a new case just tried of the plain look. been looking at it for 2 years.

I was wondering what I should upgrade I was thinking the CPU and maybe a new HDD a Caviar Black Not sure but I really need a new HDD.
I also think I wanna new Case HAF-912 amazing case had it for 2 years now I think.

Only problem is money budget I would say 300 for this upgrade my graphics card is nice even though I can run COD Ghost on All High because the game is so unoptimized.

maybe a new Motherboard and a HDD
This motherboard looks nice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Last edited:
If I had your system I would look into getting

1. A better PSU
2. A SSD
3. A 2 TB HDD (cheapest would do but reliable) for backup/data purposes
4. A graphic card with at least 3GB of VRAM

And if funds allow I would try to improve on the cooling system to get more cool and quietness. And then OC your CPU to kingdom come.

I'm not much into aesthetics. I just shove my computer into the corner under my desk so that it is inconspicuous. All I need is easy access to the keyboard and mouse. I would rather save the money from getting a new case to get better hardware.

But this is just me.

If I had your system I would look into getting

1. A better PSU
2. A SSD
3. A 2 TB HDD (cheapest would do but reliable) for backup/data purposes
4. A graphic card with at least 3GB of VRAM

And if funds allow I would try to improve on the cooling system to get more cool and quietness. And then OC your CPU to kingdom come.

I'm not much into aesthetics. I just shove my computer into the corner under my desk so that it is inconspicuous. All I need is easy access to the keyboard and mouse. I would rather save the money from getting a new case to get better hardware.

But this is just me.

I looked at craigslist guy said he is selling at i5 4670k and he live's in my city for 140 and a msi z87 g45 motherboard for 70 I dont know about the CPU sounds like a deal havent looked up the motherboard he said he didn't use them.

I would get a 250GB 840 EVO SSD, a motherboard with an 8+2 VRM section and a Hyper 212 EVO.

You're not going to want to overclock any on that motherboard, especially with an 8xxx series processor.

I think your CPU and motherboard are pretty good already. Why go second-hand if you don't have to. Unless you are a hardcore gamer and want to go over to Intel.

But you should consider a better PSU for future proof purposes and to protect your hardware. A 120 GB SSD is definitely a must and they are not too expensive now. You don't have to get a Samsung. A Plextor or Crucial are nice and cheap and would more than suffice. But try staying away from Sandforce if you can.

I think your CPU and motherboard are pretty good already. Why go second-hand if you don't have to. Unless you are a hardcore gamer and want to go over to Intel.

But you should consider a better PSU for future proof purposes and to protect your hardware. A 120 GB SSD is definitely a must and they are not too expensive now. You don't have to get a Samsung. A Plextor or Crucial are nice and cheap and would more than suffice. But try staying away from Sandforce if you can.

CPU is good, 83xx series is faster, but its no big difference.
Motherboard, its woefully underpowered for an 8 core FX processor. They pull quite a lot of power.

CPU is good, 83xx series is faster, but its no big difference.
Motherboard, its woefully underpowered for an 8 core FX processor. They pull quite a lot of power.

Don't think OP is much of a gamer or an overclocker. If this is the case his present cpu/mobo should be sufficient for now (without overclocking). He can upgrade these in the next round of upgrades. But I do think he would see the biggest difference for his money with a SSD.

Don't think OP is much of a gamer or an overclocker. If this is the case his present cpu/mobo should be sufficient for now (without overclocking). He can upgrade these in the next round of upgrades. But I do think he would see the biggest difference for his money with a SSD.

The first suggestion I made was an SSD.
Also, live stream is typically done by gamers to broadcast their gameplay.
I agree that it should do fine for now, but for a better processor or an overclock the OP will need a motherboard and most likely a CPU cooler.

I would get a 250GB 840 EVO SSD, a motherboard with an 8+2 VRM section and a Hyper 212 EVO.

You're not going to want to overclock any on that motherboard, especially with an 8xxx series processor.
That 250GB 840 Evo looks really nice SSD's have went down in price also.
Can you find me a better mother board that wont break that 300 dollar mark?

Yes all I do is game and do little video editing on my Machine.
And I have heard my mobo is not the greatest before.

ASRock 990FX Extreme4

This is the cheapest board I would currently purchase for an 8xxx series FX processor. It has twice the power delivery section of your current motherboard.

ASRock 990FX Extreme4

This is the cheapest board I would currently purchase for an 8xxx series FX processor. It has twice the power delivery section of your current motherboard.

I've eyed that one up , just haven't seen one in the forums yet. Looks like it should do the job. Would be nice to find a decent 8 phase mobo in that price range.

I've eyed that one up , just haven't seen one in the forums yet. Looks like it should do the job. Would be nice to find a decent 8 phase mobo in that price range.

Yeah, I haven't either, but the rest of the top-end ASRock boards I have seen on here have done very well.

If my memory (brain cells) is accurate, there have been two of the EXT9's in the AMD mobo section. One had some minor issue with a driver I believe but really neither of them has done one of the full on stress and reports that I ever saw. But neither were they in deep poo poo.
RGone...

EDIT:
Okay I thought I was remembering correctly.
SplashDown in the AMD mobo section has 990FX Extreme9 Link >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7522865&postcount=18 >> based on his refernce to the FatLady testing I did which he refers to also, I would certainly have no qualms with the Extreme9.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
If I get a SSD should I do a fresh install of windows 7 onto the SSD? Also how would I got about deleting my HDD can I just delete everything in the HDD?

Yes I would do a clean install, always the best method. If you're re-using the old drive just formatting it and removing the partition should be adequate.

Back