• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arima

Registered
I am unsure if i should stick with my current FX-8350+8gb RAM or sell both along with my motherboard for $230 and buy a ryzen 5 1400. If i do, i wont be able to play for a month whilst i get a new motherboard and some RAM. But i currently see crap performance in many games and i dont want to be stuck with this when the price drops further.

Alternatively i can get an engineer sample i7 6700k for $130 meaning i can start gaming as soon as it arrives.....

Ryzen 5 1400 is at the bottom. But with overclocking is better. Low core count, really it's none much more impressive in this manor buying the hardware, but ultimately cheaper for brand new. I currently run a Ryzen 5 1400 with A320 chipset so it's not overclocked. Paired with a GTX-770 it games decently even at a low clock speed max boost of 3.4ghz.

The best thing you can do is save some moneys up. Or sell other things of value instead of your current set up. Sell the books, or some DVDs and CDs or perhaps you have some old sub woofers. Sell the cat or dog, girl friend, they soak up too much time and cash for a new rig nowadays.

Sell the cat or dog, girl friend, they soak up too much time and cash for a new rig nowadays.

While I can't vouch for this^, it's otherwise good advice. LOL. A GPU upgrade will have a bigger effect on gaming performance than anything else.

If you have a GPU that's slower than a GTX 1060, the Ryzen CPUs may not help much, since you're in practice GPU bound in many games (assuming that FX chip is overclocked). Also in this case buying a Ryzen 5 1400 would not give you huge gains over a Ryzen 3 1200. Both CPUs can max the GPU (at least when overclocked to 4 GHz) and unless the game is somehow very CPU intensive and you're running a lot of other programs in the background, those extra threads won't make a difference. The same naturally goes for the i7; that extra CPU potential will in practice give you the same FPS in games because the GPU is already giving you all it can. So, the question is what sort of GPU do you have?

Some benchmark results with FX-8370 @ 4.4 GHz and Ryzen 5 1400 @ 4.0 GHz (and a few others): https://www.techspot.com/review/1474-ryzen-vs-older-budget-cpus/page2.html

Ryzen 5 1400 is at the bottom. But with overclocking is better. Low core count, really it's none much more impressive in this manor buying the hardware, but ultimately cheaper for brand new. I currently run a Ryzen 5 1400 with A320 chipset so it's not overclocked. Paired with a GTX-770 it games decently even at a low clock speed max boost of 3.4ghz.

The best thing you can do is save some moneys up. Or sell other things of value instead of your current set up. Sell the books, or some DVDs and CDs or perhaps you have some old sub woofers. Sell the cat or dog, girl friend, they soak up too much time and cash for a new rig nowadays.

While I can't vouch for this^, it's otherwise good advice. LOL. A GPU upgrade will have a bigger effect on gaming performance than anything else.

:rofl: I am in! Already sold both (well, sold the former, leased the latter, mwuahaha !).

Edit: o, a more seious note, keep the FX and grab a better GPU, as Petrolhead advises. I guess that even up to a 1070, the [email protected] does a decent job.

Fair enough. Bit of a mess with my gpu situation. Currently dont have a working one. Trying to find out if i have warranty on my R9 380 4gb. If i do ill sell it and use my money to try and grt a 1060 3gb as thats the best i can see myself getting.

Arima, what GPU are you currently using? Please give us more complete specs of your system. Please create a "Sig" for this purpose. Click on "Profile" in the upper right corner of any screen, look down the left side and click on "Edit Profile." You can use mine if you want for a guide of the kind of information we like to see in a Signature. It will travel with every post you make and is helpful to those trying to help you.

Is your FX-8350 overclocked?

Back