• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Vs. Washer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
So yeah, I have a USB story. I originally wanted to make a thread to make sure on what to do in my case but decided to use some common sense and lo and behold it worked.

The USB stick I use to listen to music in the car somehow ended up in the laundry washer. I forgot the small pocket I use at times when transporting it to and from the car a few nights ago. The jeans were placed in the washer only to notice the USB stick after the wash. Bummed, I didn't feel like buying another USB stick so I went into "safe mode" if you will. It was a hot steamy day yesterday, 90F+ with humidity and placed it outside for a few hours. Brought it inside to dry up even more. I was worried because I didn't want to short out my USB on my tower or who knows blow things up as I've heard USB horror stories that range from BSODs to triggering a holy mess. I now have it installed and listening to the music from it after waiting more than the norm to load.

Moral of the story, I don't know but I guess it's don't give up? :rofl: :attn:

USB - 1 Washing Machine - 0

Last edited:
Noice!! I found an old ipod (4gb) in the street. It had rained the night before and the screen looked flooded. Figured I'd just save it and toy around with it later on sometime. I put it on my window sill for several days as the days were sunny and hot as heck ( close to 90f) and humid.

Got a cable and after about a week decided to see if it worked. Tested it in my back-up rig just incase, lol, and viola it works! I now use it to d/l my music on it and play it in the car :thup:

Best way to do that for electronics, is to place it in rice. Saved a couple gameboys that way xD Glad to hear it's still working for you.

Best way to do that for electronics, is to place it in rice. Saved a couple gameboys that way xD
For the rice to remove moisture, everything has to be put into a sealed bag. Otherwise the rice draws moisture from all the air, not the wet device.

For the rice to remove moisture, everything has to be put into a sealed bag. Otherwise the rice draws moisture from all the air, not the wet device.
:thup:

I have done this to a few USB sticks... :chair:. All of them ended up working after they were dry. :ty:

I dropped my old cell phone in buckets of water at work, in the bathtub a couple of times... maybe even in the toilet once.

Every time a bag of rice dried it out and it worked. Finally retired the old dumfone a few days ago when I got a new phone for my birthday. :D

I've spilled water on many motherboards... some while running! Didn't even have an issue. The issue is when you get dirty (IE, more conductive :)) water on live circuits. Electricity follows the path of least resistance... and... you get the picture. Power goes places you don't want it, and metals and solder joints get degraded.

They key to water mishaps: Let em dry, and clean the up BEFORE returning power to the device. I'd take a brand new MB, and dump a little water on it, without any fear. As long as it was fully cleaned up before powered up. I had a typing teacher in school that used to wash keyboards in her dishwasher! :)

I used to work at a laser manufacturer that built their own circuit boards in house. The last operation was a run through a GE dishwasher to remove flux and stuff, and then hang for the evening in a hot closet with a blower circulating air. In the morning they got conformal coating.

Personally, I've always thought that if rice were so great at absorbing water, it would cook itself in the box, no? :rofl:

Instead I use a pair of gigantic (11" x 5") silica gel bead bags that shipped with my Tempurpedic mattress. The two of them fill a gallon ziplock bag. Nest the phone between them, seal the bag and let it sit on the back dash of my car to bake. Bone dry and working fine by sunset...and in a pinch, disposable diapers contain the same thing....unused of course.
Food for thought.

I used to work at a laser manufacturer that built their own circuit boards in house. The last operation was a run through a GE dishwasher to remove flux and stuff, and then hang for the evening in a hot closet with a blower circulating air. In the morning they got conformal coating.

Personally, I've always thought that if rice were so great at absorbing water, it would cook itself in the box, no? :rofl:

Instead I use a pair of gigantic (11" x 5") silica gel bead bags that shipped with my Tempurpedic mattress. The two of them fill a gallon ziplock bag. Nest the phone between them, seal the bag and let it sit on the back dash of my car to bake. Bone dry and working fine by sunset...and in a pinch, disposable diapers contain the same thing....unused of course.
Food for thought.

Always wanted a bag of that stuff for emergencies like that. Maybe I'll grab some.

You put it on, poop, and change it! The changing part after use is highly appreciated by those close by. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
They're full of silica gel sprayed into a polyester fluff lining, so it doesn't all gather in one place. They absorb like mad too, easily taking a pint and holding onto it! Add a little heat like nice warm sunshine to coax the water into a vapor, and whatever's inside will dry out like nobody's business....aka your phone, USB, Walkman, whatever.
Sounds weird, but works great.

Last edited:
Back