• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the same RAM for over five years... Time to replace it for a new one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kanade

Hello guys, this probably might be a stupid question to ask but is there any needs to replace my current two 4GB DDR3 (665.1 MHz)?

Although I haven't experienced RAM test failure, the available memory is slowly decreasing.
I'm not keen on upgrading to 16GB but I'm interested in getting a new pair of 4GB. FYI, my current mobo is Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87.

I appreciate your help.

Have you tried Memtest86+?
Tried switching slots?

That was the one I've used to test the RAMs. I ran it for around 7 hours and no errors were shown.

I also tried using different slots though the results were same.

Does the BIOS show the full capacity available?
What if you boot to a Linux Live CD?

I don't understand the question. You have 8 gigs and only 4 gigs are showing, or you have 4 gigs of ram and windows is needing more?

I took it as he is just wondering if he should change ram because it has been in use for 5 years. If so, then if it isn't showing errors or other signs of degradation then leave it be. I've never had memory be a problem after years of use.

There is reason why manufacturers are giving lifetime warranty and even more. RAM is simply working for long years without issues ( if used in right conditions ).
Lifetime warranty actually means 1 year after end of production ( depends from manufacturer ) so we should be glad that manufacturers are replacing faulty RAM even 3 years+ after end of production. It also means they have low % RMA or they would cut costs.

I work at a datacenter and the only time i have ever seen ram go bad was from human error/mishandling. Ram doesn't really "age". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming when you say the amount of ram you have is going down, you are referring to the amount of ram listed free by your OS. This would be due to your programs or os using more of it, not deterioration of the ram itself. If your bios, or system properties show you have 8 gb, you have 8gb.

Like Woomack said, there is a reason most RAM has a lifetime warranty.

Back