• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very annoying Windows focus problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

Hey guys,

My bro's been having an annoying program with his systems lately.
Whether gaming or watching media on his PC, i believe it is usually when the application is full screen/maximised, it will randomly kind of jump back to the desktop.

For example, say he was playing Call of Duty multiplayer. Out of nowhere, the PC would jump back to the desktop like it alt-tabbed itself. Another situation he describes is when he's using Chrome and out of nowhere, it will 'deselect' itself and you have to re-click somewhere on the Chrome window to be able to scroll or click things again.

It's hard to describe but it's pretty much like an auto alt-tab effect. I think it's a software problem but would there be any chance a certain hardware combo can do this?
If it is hardware related, the only same pieces of hardware compared to his last system (which also had the problem) was the CPU and Mobo.

He's had this with his last PC as well but it somehow disappeared after he tried earlier versions of ATi drivers. I've read somewhere else about microsoft.net framework making this kind of glitch...but I've tried a complete reinstall/format in his PC and he got it again today (about a month after we formatted). The last thing he said he installed was the Logitech Gaming keyboard software so :shrug:

His specs are:

3570K (stock speeds)
Asrock Extreme4-M
8GB Corsair Vengeance red
2TB Barracuda
Corsair CX500 PSU
Powercolor 7950 PCS+
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

If you guys have any sort of idea what kind of program this may be it'd be greatly appreciated! :santa:
He's literally doing this because of the problem - :bang head

I'd start with msconfig to make sure there aren't any background processes taking focus. I haven't heard of hardware causing the problem, but I would suspect USB devices first. Fire up the program, unplug a device, let it sit. Repeat until it stops.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has made it impossible to prevent programs from stealing focus with 7+. If a program requests it, Windows honors the request. I've run into issues with our phone software at work taking focus when a call comes in. Short of writing a program to reselect the original program, there is not a thing I can do to fix it.

You know Ive witnessed something similar once or twice in the past. I never did figure out what was going on but thinderas suggestion makes sense. Makes me wonder if I have a bug crawling around in my OS someplace that needs to be squished.

Yeahh ok thanks for the advice!
We both have very similar systems and I've never even seen of experienced such a problem.
I've also installed pretty much the same software on his PC. Same antivirus etc, we both use Logitech Gxx keyboards so we've both got the Logitech crap installed...one thing i can think of is that he's using wireless whereas I'm using ethernet cable. Maybe TP-Link software is playing up a bit =S

Do you reckon it's something that opened on start up? I'll look through C Cleaner on his PC as well to see what I can get rid of as well. :thup:

Back