• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Very Unstable cpu voltage and freq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xxovich

I must warn you that English isn't my primary language so its unlikely for me to understand some of the technical terms you may be using in your response , i mean just speak to me like I'm a foreign person who doesn't understand much from computers. :screwy:

Here's my problem:

I have been experimenting and learning overclocking lately but I've noticed that my vcore is really unstable , I've done some googling and found out that people are freaking out even at 0.01 movements in vcore but I have a much bigger problem than 0.01.I think theese screenshots might help me explain myself.

eb80w3.jpg
ilynir.jpg
2nrn6hh.jpg
27xowfk.jpg

First 3 are while running p95 as you can see and the 4. is on idle , btw my vcore is set to 1.35 in bios and I haven't ever seen it actually read 1.35 on anywhere.

Specs:
m4a89gtd mobo
high power 1200w psu (I really don't know why I bought a 1200w one lol)
amd 1090t cpu (as you can see) cooled with thermaltake frio
hd5970 gpu
1 tb wd hdd
120 gb ocz agility 3 ssd (which I have problems switching it to AHCI but thats a whole seperate thread long matter and it's not about the registry thingie)
16 gb 4x4 gskill ripjaws (I know they aren't compatible with my system but I have set them manually and they work fine)

So what should I do?I've been playing bf3 lately and I don't get bsod , my cpu doesn't overheat or anything , it's just the vcore readings that bother me.

Edit: I've also noticed my frequencies are not stable as well.

Last edited:
These changes are normal. I wouldnt worry about it. If you want to eliminate the voltage drop, enable LLC(Load Line Calibration)... but you dont need to. The clock speed drops are also normal and are just a part of power savings (the 800Mhz to 3.94Ghz).

My frequency is actually set to 3.80 ghz not 3.9X and I've read that people actually get really stable voltages.

Some boards regulate voltages better. Again, LLC mitigates that (non)issue.

No idea why your HTT clock is going fro 200 to 207 though... Im not an AMD guy.

A bios update should eliminate the ht fluctuation. And as EarthDog said LLC should sort out the vcore. If you want to run it at its highest clock all the time ( not needed if you're not overclocking ) disable cool&quiet and c1e in the bios

the amds will pull the voltage down at idle and raise it as it needs to this is normal.
it also adjusts clock speed as needed.
if your not after max clock speeds it's a good thing.

Thanks for all the replies you guys were so fast :thup: I thought I would have to change my psu or motherboard in the end , I never thought it was normal.

we could stp it and make all that stay at fixed settings, but if your happy with your machine i see no reason to bother till you start going for max clock speed.

if you will read through these forums you will find how to turn off apm and cool and quiet in the bios, you will also find hidden a little deeper in the posts that llc is not the same from one board/cpu combo to another. my sabertooth/955 combo the llc has little effect with my biostar/955 combo the voltage swing with llc is very large.

Last edited:
I did try LLC , it didn't change anything it's still the same , I would of course like to stabilize my voltage and go a bit higher with my clocks but it would require you to help me through all the steps since it's way over my knowledge.

So you are still getting the vdroop with LLC enabled? (remeber Vdroop is the difference between IDLE voltage and LOAD voltage). Did that value get smaller? I wouldnt really worry about stabilizing the voltage to be honest.. its a normal thing.

I could show it to you realtime via skype or teamviewer , its really a pain in the neck to take and upload screenshots.

Edit: It's between 1.284 and 1.392 so yeah I think the difference got smaller
Edit 2: As a response to keny : I already have the latest bios

Last edited:
You are welcome to simply type in the values in a post after observing them. I'm not going to skype/teamviewer to see it, sorry.

For example:

Vdrop (set in bios vs idle in windows)

1.35 / 1.34

Vdroop (idle in windows vs load in windows)

1.34 / 1.32

Last edited:
Vdrop there isnt much you can do about...

Clearly you can see LLC working as it RAISED the load voltage above your set value from the bios. If your LLC has different levels, lower it a notch or two so your load voltage matches your bios setting.

It doesn't have any further settings than Enable/Disable , thanks for the help but I don't think anything can help me except buying a new motherboard which I won't be because this is a 2 year old junk except the rams , even if I did buy a motherboard my cpu is outdated and so is my gpu, I'm just waiting for an ATI gpu which actually IS way better than 5970 so I can build my next pc with.

As was mentioned before, you really do not have a problem. This is a normal thing on motherboards.

I thought the 7970 beats a 5970 (uses less power, quieter, etc).

I don't care about sound and power i just need performance , 6990 beats 5970 with a moderate percentage but costs $1000 where I live and gtx 690 also beats 5970 better than 6990 but somehow nvidia is even more expensive here so it costs $1500-1600 , I would like better to be overcharged for something extremely better than 5970

Back