• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vishera-ready Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Ryz_Factor

Hi folks-

Long time lurker/member, very infrequent poster.

I haven't built a computer since 2007 (I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 5600+, heh), but I am looking to build a new one now.

I've decided I'll be going with the new 8350 that just came out, but I've got some concerns that the motherboard I buy won't be "Vishera-ready". I know obviously the CPU will fit in the AM3+ socket, I'm just concerned about whether or not the BIOS of whatever board I choose will be up-to-date and ready for the CPU. I don't have an older AM3+ CPU lying around, so my main concern is my ability to flash the BIOS if it were even needed. (Hopefully it is not.)

I would also in turn love some motherboard suggestions.

This computer will probably be used to record/stream some consoles (have a Black Magic Intensity Pro card), light gaming (wife plays Sims 3), and will be running Windows 8.

I also have no need to overclock. If I do end up doing that, I would only fiddle around with it lightly.

I should also mention that historically I have had great experiences with ASUS boards, so I may be biased in their direction to some degree. :)

Thank you in advance for your input!

Any of the 9XX series motherboards from Asus marked with an R2 should support vishera out of the box.

ALL of the revision R 2.0 boards like the CHV-z, the 990FX Sabertooth R 2.0, the M5A97-EVO R 2.0 and so on are in bios version 4 or 5 since the release of the R 2.0 boards. The "latest" version in each of the R 2.0 boards that I checked on the Asus site say that the latest bios version is to support newer cpus. That is likely the vishera series.

There is likely one thing about that and it is that all the bioses for the R 2.0 boards are dated in 2012, so the shipping bios supports the BullDozer FX-series and I believe that the Vishera's will boot with BullDozer bios and allow for bios update then. All that said though the bios should be updated for vishera in the long-run.

Thank you very much for the replies. Always loved these forums. Everyone's incredibly helpful all the time. Much appreciated. :)

http://valid.canardpc.com/2574357

It's working fine for me so far. Make sure you update to the latest BIOS. I upgraded from a Phenom II 965, and it's appears to be 50% faster or more efficient even though I had my phenom overclocked to 4.2GHz.

It's strange I have an i7-2600k and this blows it out of the water for video editing and compression. I don't know why intel users brag about the i7 so much. Maybe it has to do with gaming?

Enjoy

Last edited:
The i7 supports quick sync encoding which is much faster, sadly it doesn't usually yield high quality results.

Interesting, to use vishera, with Windows8, who knew. Does windows8 support multi cores?

Yes, win 8 supports all the latest HW standards. Unless you have a compelling need to upgrade though Win 7 is probably better suited to most power users.

Hey all, just an update. Thanks once again for all the information.

I did indeed get a Windows 8 box going with the following hardware:

AMD FX-8350 (stock speeds)
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

and some Radeon 6870 that my brother gave me a year or two ago. Not sure what brand it is off the top of my head.

This thing flies, man. I've never used a computer so fast. It boots in about 10 seconds and has run everything with no problems. I'm yet to put many games or anything on it, but so far so good.

Very impressed with Windows 8, too. I used it in a store one day and didn't like it, but decided to go for it anyway, and now I'm loving it. I haven't bought an OS since Windows XP and I'm very glad I went with Windows 8.

Thanks very much for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Back