• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista to Win10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Hello OCF men,
taco decided to upgrade to wibdows10 to try it out on his desktop rig. Currently runs Vista. It looks like I have little bit more to go, so what are the special gotcha and things to watch in or out for?

View attachment 199379

I previously have upgraded from win7, laptop and it was fine transition although I didn't like it much, but here, I am cming from Vista, fairly older program..

Thank you.

Vista was just Win7 without much native driver support. There are two fairly comprehensive W10 threads here. I can only link to one of them, as I got kicked out of the other for making fun of someone's fondness for Kool Aid. LOL. Here's one http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot

The other is the top sticky on this page http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/17-Microsoft-Operating-Systems

The first thread I linked to started out adversarial, but grew to contain a lot of good stuff for customizing W10 against its will. The second, last I saw, was more of an "Embrace the madness" kind of thread. LOL

More or less windows 7 = vista 2.0 .
You should not have problems from a software point. But hardware and drivers is anther thing.
Some older installed apps may brake too.
In another words, it will be a typical upgrade. As always I recommend a clean install.

Also I like kool aid, but never have any sugar. Same for milk and cereal. Never got two things that go together in my house.

I see thank you both good sirs! I did hit a little obstacle. The link is only good for 24 hours, so by the time I got around to 1.2gb, it expired so it was all ruined. I'll have to start over some other way.

I'm running lots of software that is wicked old, so this gave me a precautionary flag now and I'm a little worried. But I still would like to give it a try. My desktop is viata and laptop is 10, so it's hard to switch brain back and forth when working between the 2. Unfortunately 10 and up is the way of the future, so there's no turning back.

Regarding two things together, that's very interesting. I'll have to do some research and get back with you on that one. Hopefully we can resolve it and you'll have a remission back to milk+cereal, dear sir. Those two are meant together.

Maybe DL it at a library or fast food place that has good wifi?

As for the two things, that was a old move reference in response to Alaric's kool aid remark.

Yeah, will do thank you.(at final stages of remodel, so no internet at home...soon)

Got it on Kool-Aid, I was getting nervous though..

Alsric, Sir, what about compatibility mode inside properties, does that do anything?

Check Cortana thread...it's that bad eh?:chair:

Compatibility mode in Properties dialog works, too.

Check Cortana thread...it's that bad eh?

Nah, it works for a lot of people. Probably almost as many as gave up and just used it for a variety of reasons other than they wanted to. LOL Support will end for W7 and W8 someday, so W10 will be the "only" option for most people. ("Oh my! Whatever will those XP users do???" :rofl:)

I actually liked xp!

w00t! My thanks! are back!

Last edited:
This is so upsetting :( I tried twice already and it quits at 4gb mark saying invalid link. :( This sucks

I was hoping to try before buy and if I liked it, just buy the key and activate..

Well that's fine I guess, I'll get to it sometime later.

If you'll pay for my flash drive and the shipping I'll make one up for you and mail it to you.

Thank you, sir, but I decided not to do it:(
I don't have any internet to my home PC at this time and any updates or any drivers that I'll have to download will give me a headache..I don't want to break what's working at this time.

My plan is sticking with what works meanwhile and cross the bridge when I get my internet home.

Where did banana go?

When do you anticipate getting internet service? Do you live in a rural area where you don't have good choices for Internet service or do you live in a place where you have lots of choices?

I don't know yet. Maybe soon. I'm still fixer upping the house inside There are a few companies that offer service. It's semirural. We got cows and donkeys on pastures around main roads.

Congrats on moving forward :) I personally think Win10 as a much improved version of Win7.
I went from Vista to Win7 a long time ago, tried Win8.1 for a little bit before just jumping straight to Win10 beta build. Haven't looked back since. Its a rock solid, stable OS that I've only had 1 issue with and that was 2 years ago if not mistaken where I had to reinstall the OS from scratch (been a lot of upgrades over the years with no reinstall from scratch). Think that was the first major fall update, screwed up some games and just required to start from scratch. Overall the process is nice and if you can do a fresh install go for it.

As well hopefully your downloading the latest and greatest build (which looks like it) so at least you won't have to try to re-download it again from within windows.

Back