• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boucher91

i have the asus m4a79 deluxe..
there many voltage settings in the bios....
a few i get but most i dont..
the ones i get are the vcore and mem...
help me to understand...
tia

:welcome: to OCF!

I skipped this last evening because I don't have this particular board but I'll give it a shot and if I miss some you can tell me. :)

You should have NB-CPU voltage and NB multiplier. These are similar to the vCore & CPU multiplier and need to be adjusted for a maximum overclock.

NB chipset is obvious and may need adjusting a little at extreme (system) clock speeds.

The NB 1.8v voltage is the PCIe endpoint voltage on the northbridge. I've not seen anyone change this.

CPU PLL (aka VDDA) is the voltage to the CPU PLLs, which control the four core multipliers. Nominal voltage is 2.5v and I've not seen anyone change this.

HT Link voltage is self explanatory. This, along with the SB chipset voltage, may need adjusting at extreme HT Link speeds.

Hmmm, what did I miss ...?

this is what i have..
cpu voltage.......1.275
cpu/nb voltage........auto
cpu vdda voltage...... auto ???(2.5)???
dram voltage.......1.9
ht voltage.......auto
nb voltage......auto
nb 1.8 voltage......auto
sb voltage......auto
my concern is the mb temp reported by various progs...
i was kind of hoping to lower it by dropping voltages where possible..
but as you can see im not sure where to start.
ty for any help here....

my concern is the mb temp reported by various progs...
i was kind of hoping to lower it by dropping voltages where possible..
but as you can see im not sure where to start.
ty for any help here....

What temperature are you worried about? Auto voltages will not allow the motherboard to operate out of it's temperature range (unless extreme ambient temperatures are present)
What program are you taking the readings from?

cpu voltage.......1.275 (= vCore: nominal 1.30v but can vary by CPU type.)
cpu/nb voltage........auto (= NB-CPU voltage: nominal 1.30v but could be 1.25v)*
cpu vdda voltage...... auto ???(2.5)??? (nominal 2.5v)
dram voltage.......1.9 (= vDIMM, depends on RAM: minimum 1.8v but your RAM may need more)
ht voltage.......auto (= HT Link: nominal 1.2v)
nb voltage......auto (= NB chipset: nominal 1.1v)
nb 1.8 voltage......auto (= MemVDDQ: nominal 1.8v)
sb voltage......auto (= SB chipset: 1.2v nominal)

Hey! I remembered them all! *woot*

I'll try to get back to this list later this evening and update it to the correct nominal voltages if someone else doesn't beat me to it ... :)

*A 125w Phenom I is 1.30v, a 95w Phenom I is 1.25v. I don't have information on the Phenom II - AMD hasn't publically released the white paper on that yet.

Last edited:
i appreciate what i see so far..
ambient temps are not bad ..
cpu runs 52 ,53 absolute tops full load boincing
mb slightly warmer.
going to try theese voltades asap
will post back w /results soon..

I always get the NB chipset and HT Link mixed up - one's 1.1v the other is 1.2v, as updated and shown. :)

Mid-50's seems a little high for the motherboard - especially an ASUS. All mine typically run 40-45°C ...

ty Quietice.....
this info helps very much..
now mb temps are 39 to 43....
one other tidbit?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108105
will this help me in ocing while boincing 24/7?
or will i gain that much headroom to justify the $$$...
i am also a afroameriindian (lol) engineer so if i did get that i would end up Tim Allening it....better pump, bigger rad, better block,,,, plus i do work as a cnc machinest....
btw this info should be a sticky
be neat to add this info

I should talk to Dolk about adding that information to his thread. He has all sorts of Phenom II material in their except the stock voltages.

Going with WC can be a good thing but looking at the Phenom II results I'd say high-end air is a very good choice as well. There are some gains to be had (from what I've seen ~200 MHz) but that's mostly from being able to get a little wild with the vCore. For an "average" 3.8 GHz OC that +200 MHz is ~5% (the Phenom's pretty much scale at 1:1). I don't know what that would do to longevity, though. My farm has gotten larger over the years because my all my rigs are still running - the oldest coming up on three years @ 24/7. I'll be WC'ing my Phenom II but I already have all the equipment handy.

If you do decide to WC I'd search through the Classifieds - but you'll need 100 posts to get access. A lot of guys on here want the latest and greatest but it's really not needed. Even my old (but excellent for it's time) original Swiftech Apogee block from three years ago does as good or better then high-end air (many blocks sold today aren't as good). I'd also suggest component building instead of a kit, though the Swiftech kits are the only ones I recommend. The MCR-220QR is a great rad with the built-in res so you save on that hassle but a cheaper course for DIY'ers is a heater core and copper pipe T-line - very simple to assemble if you have some copper pipe skills and only runs ~$40 combined and, IMO, cools slightly better. Follow that up with a Swiftech MCP-355 or MCP-655 pump (which will also last forever) and you've got a monster cooling system for $100-120 plus the water block. Quality used blocks run $40-50 usually but sometimes if you jump fast a you can snag one for $25-30 ... :)

Thanks for helping my bro QuietIce. I am glad my lurking around helped him to register and get someone to help him (as I don't have a new cpu/board of the Phenom II category).

As far as WC, I believe that you told him pretty much the same things I did (from the reading here and at XS that I have done) except that for the price the kit might help him get a start. I would rather him build one also as he has a good skillset and mentality for that kind of thing. I got Seth's extreme KegIII as my start to wc and having high ambients, it has really helped me to OC my CPU. I don't know that much about the compact kit other than the pump is on the cpu block but as far as a kit goes swiftechs are the ones to get.

Again thanks for helping my bro.

Jim

No problem - that's a big part of what we're here for! :)

But I would lke to know ...
ty Quietice.....
this info helps very much..
now mb temps are 39 to 43....
one other tidbit?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108105
will this help me in ocing while boincing 24/7?
or will i gain that much headroom to justify the $$$...
i am also a afroameriindian (lol) engineer so if i did get that i would end up Tim Allening it....better pump, bigger rad, better block,,,, plus i do work as a cnc machinest....
btw this info should be a sticky
be neat to add this info
What project(s) do you run ...???

CPUv ~= 1.35v
CPU-NBv = 1.175v
CPU VDD = 2.5v
HTT = 1.2v
SB = 1.26v
DDR3 =1.8v ??
NB voltage = 1.1v

These are the only ones you should care about. I'll read through the rest of this topic in a bit. I'm in the middle of a couple of things.

Yeah it is 1.175v at stock. It could be read as 1.1 or 1.2 but the exact stock is 1.175v.

That's the NB-CPU? The white paper I've got only covers the Phenom I's and they are running 1.25v for 95w CPU's, 1.30v for the 9950BE (140w). That's why I was so surprised - it's quite a drop. I'll need to remember that as I start playing with my 940 - it should be here sometime today ... :drool:

No problem - that's a big part of what we're here for! :)

But I would lke to know ...
What project(s) do you run ...???

I am in my bro's farm. LOL

He started out several years ago at UD and the farm is now at WCG.

Projects we do at WCG: African Climate@Home, Discovering Dengue Drugs, Fight Aids @Home, Genome Comparison, Help Conquer Cancer, Help Conquer MD, Help Fight Childhood Cancer, Human Proteome Folding, Nutritious Rice and The Clean Energy Project.

Ron The Navigator
Registered Member Since: 4/26/07 23:55:54

Can't wait to see what you do. I'll add this info to my introduction, I'm just about done with it.

Sorry to change topics, but I got T-ed off at Bit-tech when they reviewed the 955 on their site. They OCed it to 3.8ghz with 1.55volts >< I wanted to cry. So I'm going to post my guide over there and stand by it big time.

/end rantspawm

I am in my bro's farm. LOL

He started out several years ago at UD and the farm is now at WCG.

Projects we do at WCG: African Climate@Home, Discovering Dengue Drugs, Fight Aids @Home, Genome Comparison, Help Conquer Cancer, Help Conquer MD, Help Fight Childhood Cancer, Human Proteome Folding, Nutritious Rice and The Clean Energy Project.

Ron The Navigator
Registered Member Since: 4/26/07 23:55:54
That's cool! If you were running S@H, Rosetta, or Einstein I would have asked you to join our team(s). We don't have a WCG team but it's still a great use of computer time! :thup:

Can't wait to see what you do. I'll add this info to my introduction, I'm just about done with it.

Sorry to change topics, but I got T-ed off at Bit-tech when they reviewed the 955 on their site. They OCed it to 3.8ghz with 1.55volts >< I wanted to cry. So I'm going to post my guide over there and stand by it big time.

/end rantspawm
Just updated my "results" post with a pic of the CPU. More to follow tomorrow as I get into OC'ing a little but stock baselines must come first. Don't exepct anything significant until next week ... :)

Last edited:
ty once more Quietice and also Dolk i used your thread to begin with......
as my bro said were @wcg i personaly have 14 rigs here at my house...
a few where i work and 1 more at a friends then jim my bro contributes 2 rigs..
1 p200pro..... to x4-940,,,1quad 3duels 1opty,,, the rest mainly junk some oced where possible....
dont take it wrong ive never gave a hoot bout et i just let him be lol..
but i do feel good about what i am doing,, appreciate the thought Quietice..

on the other note after much concideration and also price i might just get the swiftec wc kit i mentioned just as a starter kit...then water block,,pump,,,better rad nay even do large heater core thing W/hivol pump from little giant pump co....flame me if im on the wrong track...
GREAT FORUM here....ty for havin, me......

Back