• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WAAAAAAAAAA! i burned my vtt mosfet..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

:cry: OH NO, my beloved ic7 that i spent all those hrs moddin out is kaput.. i smelled something then all of a sudden a got a hi vddq warning and the rig went to blue screen..so i turned it off real fast and did an inspection. i figured my prommy pulled some moisture in and burnt up somethin..but that wasnt it.. i noticed one of my vtt power mosfets was discolored and i think what happened is when it burned i got a sudden surge to the rest of the components. unlike hipro5's other 4 mods this vtt didnt go right from the beginning, even tho i did it EXACTLY as diagramed. i couldnt use a trimmer to adjust the vtt like he said, cause it burnt them up having to turn them down to like 1 ohm to get any vtt response. so u know me i just wired in a 1/2 ohm 3 watt resistor so my vtt would come up to par.. unfortunatley it was too much and now although my mb boots i only get 1 volt vtt at 2.9v(should be 1.45.) and when i try to add resisance to my vtt mod it actually loads the vtt circuit down and i get less voltage. this circuit must have 2 mosfets feeding voltage otherwise id be dead in the water. oh well, ill try to contact hipro and see if its fixable if not, since it still works maybe i will give it to someone here. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd be willing to adopt anything as I would love to setup an Intel rig regardless, I am truly sorry for your loss, it really sucks when something breaks that you have poured a lot of hours into. I hope the situation is resolved somehow and you do not have to give away the mobo or anything. If I knew how to help I would, but I am not this adventurous.

yeah, i bought a real cheep abit refurb today .hopefully itll have the same vtt power mosfet. cause the only place that sells them wanted me to buy 2500 lol..i want to try to fix this mb cause its really modded out. but if i cant ,ill have to consider a max3

Yeah. Im still waiting on that darn DDR600 to come out. Then Ill see if it will run 300FSB at 2.9V or less. If it does theres no way Im modding my Max-3. I wasnt aware that you had your prommy setup going. What CPU RAM etc are you running on it?

AC

too bad, personally I will never again do a volt mod for memory and use prommy, on any mobo, it tends to fry

meionm said:
too bad, personally I will never again do a volt mod for memory and use prommy, on any mobo, it tends to fry

i have a hand picked 2.4c, i just sold all my pc4000,right now im limping along on some kvr with the micron chips...

as for the prommy, it didnt cause this problem. i think this vtt fix was not right from the start cause some of the other guys have the same prob.

dont get me wrong i like abit.. but for 170.00,the max3 vtt voltage SHOULD be correct. u shouldnt have to mod the board to get it to work right. thats why they call it they max3, its supposed to be maxxed out from the get go.also the asus nb voltage follows the vcore.. as u raise it the nb voltage traks.. abit doesnt do that in fact its set at like 1.5 out of the box.. i think thats why alot of asus owners are getting better stability out of the box...but once u do these mods and get it right (not like ,me lol ) the ic7 runs like a monster....

Myself and several thousand other Max owners agree, Abit should have fixed the VTT issue long ago. I bought the Max because its so loaded with features, and like you said, once its modded its hard to beat. Even without mods, the boards are very fast and stable(from what I hear) as long as your RAM doesnt need any more than 2.9 volts. Good luck with your new board though.

AC

stockhatch said:
Myself and several thousand other Max owners agree, Abit should have fixed the VTT issue long ago. I bought the Max because its so loaded with features, and like you said, once its modded its hard to beat. Even without mods, the boards are very fast and stable(from what I hear) as long as your RAM doesnt need any more than 2.9 volts. Good luck with your new board though.

AC

thankyou. i gonna try an salvage it by replacing the vtt mosfet if possible.Abits name and rep and money comes from us enthusiasts. they arent a big oem comany, so they should have gotten it right. the max 3 is a top dollar board and the vtt should have been designed it correctly. also they should have put nb voltage adj. in my opinion. now im not berating abit, only expressing disapointment on a mb that could, and still in some ways is awesome...

wow, im very sorry to here about this :eek: , and i agree that abit really needs to fix *all* of there boards with Vtt problems. the NF7 donesnt track either, and its one of the most popular boards, as in you case the IC7-max doesnt either.

i just resently got a KV8 pro(with agp/pci lock yeay) and the Vtt on it wont push past 1.4**(sorry i accidently had typed 1.5 erlier) even at 3.2vdimm(thats unmoded, besides the DFI's thats the highest factory Vdimm i know of), but its worthless because the Vtt doesnt go above 1.4 :bang head

BTW, im not that familiar with the INTELS, but think that i have seen a guide on how to mod the Vtt on the IC7max with "custom cuircutry". and if im not mistaken you basicly build your own self tracking Vtt controler, and it might still be funtional , even with out the Vtt mosfet on the board, im not sure.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=289593&goto=nextoldest :rolleyes:

Last edited:
jess1313 said:
wow, im very sorry to here about this :eek: , and i agree that abit really needs to fix *all* off there boards with Vtt problems. the NF7 donesnt track either, and its one of the most popular boards, as in you case the IC7-max doesnt either.

i just resently got a KV8 pro(with agp/pci lock yeay) and the Vtt on it wont push past 1.5 even at 3.vdimm(that unmoded, besides the DFI's thats the highest factory Vdimm i know of), but its worthless because the Vtt doesnt go above 1.4 :bang head

BTW, im not that familiar with the INTELS, but think that i have seen a guide on how to mod the Vtt on the IC7max with "custom cuircutry". and if im not mistaken you basicly build your own self tracking Vtt controler, and it might still be funtional , even with out the Vtt mosfet on the board, im not sure.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=289593&goto=nextoldest :rolleyes:

thnx guy, god i wish i got 1.5 vtt i wouldnt have bothered to mod this sucker..unfortunately the mosfet supplies the power to the vtt so i have to replace it. hipro5 (the god of all oc'ing maniacs) said a replacement should work..

well im sorry to here that. im as i said im not to affluent with the INtels, but i though that the Vtt mod that i posted bypassed the onboard mosfets, but i guess that it still uses them, it just bypasses the IC's not the mosfets.

btw yes hirpo5= :attn: , especially with IC7-XXX boards

WOW, not cool :bang head :bang head :bang head

well at least not an error of yours :eh?:

thanks for pointing out the erro for the sake of the rest of us :thup:

looks like i just may be back in service.. pro-banshee is going to send me a couple mosfets off of his broken board... thnx pro....

well, i bought a refurb from newegg for 28.00 bux and used the mosfets. the old one got so hot it burned the copper plate and board underneath. i cut another piece of copper, soldered the new copper plating to what was left -replaced the mosfet and presto it works like a charm.. boy those abits can really take abuse...

flapperhead said:
well, i bought a refurb from newegg for 28.00 bux and used the mosfets. the old one got so hot it burned the copper plate and board underneath. i cut another piece of copper, soldered the new copper plating to what was left -replaced the mosfet and presto it works like a charm.. boy those abits can really take abuse...

awsome :attn:

Back