• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to run Wed server(PHP forum) on old home pc cable connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sramjones

Disabled
I have a old computer and a big HDD and want to run a web server off of it. This will be the web server http://team-bau.net/phpBB2/ That is just a test that I made.

I have cable internet wirh a linksys sr41. If possible id rather just run it at home rather than to purchase a host.

So what can I use to do this. This system will only work with windows 2000 and not xp there is no Newwork card driver for win xp

So please help fast

First, find out if your cable company will let you run a server (most don't). Do you have a static IP? If both are yes then just download Apache and set it up. If you're running Windows 2000 make sure you have all the updates and patches.

I wouldn't download just Apache. You can get software that has Apache, PHP, and MySQL all together and will install all of it at one time. That isv how I did it anyway. You could also try to install a good Linux distro and see if it will work that way. Then just use port forwarding on your router to point the outside port to the internal port. ex: external port 8100 points to internal port 80. However you choose to do that is up to you of course.

Your best bet is to ring up your cable guys to see if they allow the old server hosting + static IP, some will let you do it for an *Additional Charge* Then yeh i linux distro seems like a good bet, Assuming you can get drivers for your NIC, by the sounds of it its a fairly uncommon if you cant get winxp drivers

Back