• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watch me build a car PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
azu said:
no offense meant

but i find it amusing how most of us would be worried over the HDD overheating whereas your worried about it not being hot enough. XD

LOL, you've got a point. But the thing is the car has to sit outside in below freezing temps from time to time. Once summer comes there may be issues with heat too. That will be a wait and see thing.
I havent had any cold problems lately as the weather has warmed up. So I can put the heater off until next winter.

@ Spyware - That car has always been a favorite of mine. If you want to see some more modified Eagles, go to www.amceaglenest.com There is a guy there with a wagon with a 9" lift and 33" Swampers.

Looks like some old-school Inki Rims? That is a mean looking ride!

I'm still debating the Car-PC thing as Sony just released an adaptor that would allow an iPod to interface into my system with control from the Head Unit. It is very tempting - as I really don't want to give up the killer DSP and Converters in my current XDP-4000x processor :(

:cool:

if your lookin for an EXELENT lowprofile sound card you can grab the Sound Blaster Live 24 bit... its amazing sound quality... i have it in my HTPC it produces the best sounding 5.1 i have ever heard from a computer... also can do 6.1 and 7.1 and has digital out. (But it is nothing compared to my Hometheater downstairs with 7.1 and a Yamaha HTR -5890)

Randyman... said:
I'm still debating the Car-PC thing as Sony just released an adaptor that would allow an iPod to interface into my system with control from the Head Unit. It is very tempting - as I really don't want to give up the killer DSP and Converters in my current XDP-4000x processor :(

You wouldn't have to give that up, you can just keep that and hook the computer into an aux input instead of just running the computer straight to an amp, that's how I have mine setup, the computer goes into the aux input on my headunit.

Cyrix_2k said:
where did you get those rims!?!?! They're the same ones I have, except I killed one and need another. Please respond!

I thought they were stock Jeep sport rims, the gold ones, painted black.

The carPC is still running fine. I should be transfering it to a new car in a month or so.

Yay! Bought the "new" car today! But it's 300mi away right now. :( Going to pick it up next weekend most likely. It's an 03 Dodge Neon SXT. 5 speed, spoiler, PWR everything, all options. :D

And there is a awesome spot in the center dash console for a LCD, after removing the stock radio, moving the HVAC gauges in to that spot, then sealing off the 2 center AC vents and puting it in that spot.

a0_1.JPG

That would be some serious moding..

Once you start moding that dash give us some in progress pics :D

I would think you could use a small resistor for heating up the drive, w/temperature swich.

Randyman... said:
I'm looking at doing something simular, but with Mini-ITX components for space reasons (almost bought a MoBo, CPU, and case off here, but it sold before I jumped on it). Have you checked out Carpc.com for Displays and Power Supplies? They are ahead of the game when it comes to Car PC's...

I planned on having my Car PC replace my audio DSP processing, too (no small feat - I run a Sony XDP-4000x DSP unit; $1200 retail :eek: ). But this will certainly eat up LOTS of precious CPU power (linear-phase EQ's and Filters are resource hogs!). I will use an 8 channel soundcard (like my RME Multiface, or maybe a M-Audio Firewire 410) and have each output channel feed a discrete amplifier channel (just like my system now). 2 channels to the subs, 2 channes to the Mid Bass 8.75" drivers, 2 channels to the Mids, and 2 channels to the Tweets (all active - no passive L/C networks. YES!!!). I'll have the PC do all EQ, Filtering (crossovers) and delay-line compensations.

I also wanted to add GPS (I still get lost in my hometown of 31 years :rolleyes: ), and of course, a Single-DIN 7" retractable LCD Touchscreen - and stash a compact keyboard under my seat for the rare need for a keyboard.

I was looking at a retractable 7" LCD Touchscreen that had AM/FM and a TV Tuner built in! This would be PERFECT to allow AM/FM+TV reception w/o adding other expensive USB stuff to the PC (just run a pair of RCA's from the LCD to the PC's Soundcard input, and there is your AM/FM+TV Audio!)

DVD's would be a plus, but probably NEVER get utilized in my system (I'm an audio FREAK - I could care less about Video).

I'm still researching, but this WILL happen at some point. I just need to make SURE that any PC I choose will have enough power to run all of my audio DSP along with DVD-Navigation and Music Jukebox software w/o choking.

Awaiting more pics :)

You may want to consider an Intel Core Duo for something like that, Dual Core mobile CPU shall suite u best, one core would utilize the audio software, and the other is for u. :D

As for the project on the topic at hand, very very nice. If I get some more time and money, I may try something like this. Sweet though, nice work. :D

Laptop HDD's really aren't any more durable than a desktop hard drive, if anything less so purely because desktop HD's are beefier. Many reports of this on www.mp3car.com

Radio bezel comes of so easy, just two screws and a few clips. It was easy to run wires too, all the trim pieces pop off, just clips hold them on. I got the power lines run today. I'll run the signal lines probably next weekend, it will only take an hour tops to finish. Then the only thing left will be fabbing brackets to hold the PC itself in the trunk, and fabbing the new bezel for the LCD. It seems like Chrysler wanted me to put a carPC in this thing, every aspect has been so easy so far. :D

Sorry for the really crappy low res pix. The colors are even distorted.

After pulling the radio and defrost/lighter/cubby thing, the dash is wide open for whatever I want.
P1020112.jpg

Direct view with LCD in place. Plenty of clearance without any trimming.
P1020109.jpg

View from driving position.
P1020110.jpg

Knivez said:
Laptop HDD's really aren't any more durable than a desktop hard drive, if anything less so purely because desktop HD's are beefier. Many reports of this on www.mp3car.com

The HDD specs say otherwise, a average new 2.5" laptop HDD has a typical shock rating of 350G/2ms opperational and 1000G/1ms non-opperational, while you're average new 3.5" desktop HDD is only rated at 55G/2ms opperational and 225G/2ms non-opperational which is because the mobile drives are built much more solidly and designed to take impacts since they will be moving around, 3.5" drives aren't, if you go to the next size down typicaly used in the larger MP3 players, 1.8", they are up to 600G/2ms opperational and 1500G/1ms non-opperational.

Bought more stuff! :D

12"x12"x1/8" black ABS sheet
black plastic USB slim laptop DVD drive enclosure
extra radio bezel, black without the fake carbon fiber overlay
MEK solvent and black ABS DWV pipe (for making ABS "glue")
Loctite plastic epoxy

As soon as all the stuff gets here I can start the fabbing! :D

Looks good. Just dont keep that radio sitting there when you take the car somewhere...

Yay the ABS sheet came today! (From McMaster, got some more Masterkleer tubing while I was at it :) ) But still no sign of the bezel. :mad: I'm all set to start fabbing this up too. I guess I might cut the abs peices tonight, since my old bezel is the same as the new one....

Optical enclosure came today. It will work perfect for my need. Still no bezel, I finally got a tracking #, should be here Monday. :p I guess that's OK, cause I'm gonna waste my weekend at a LAN. :D

Back