• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watch me build a car PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Finally the bezel is here. I got the LCD bezel and DVD enclosure bonded into position. I ended up using ABS cement so far, since what are the 2 ingredients in ABS cement? MEK and ABS resin!

You can see the cardboard template for the side pieces. I'm taking my ABS sheet into work tommorow to use the bandsaw to get the pieces perfect.

P1120105.jpg

P1120106.jpg

P1120107.jpg

All looks pretty awesome!

What kind of hardware/software do you need to run the Radio through that thing? Looks awesome. Something I might like to try when i get a car worthy of it.

And, any worries about the subs creating too much vibration for the hard drive?

Subs aren't an issue for the HD, well I guess maybe if you have some huge subs and high powered amps, my carpc has been going for about 1 1/2 years now and the subs haven't bothered the HD with two 12" subs and a 657 watt amp. Seen someone who has a 16" sub with 900 watts with no problems as well and her HD is very close to the sub, mine is under the dash so much further away.

one of the actually true facts that maximum PC published was that speakers do not in fact have any effect on hard drives whatsoever. Floppies and zip disks on the other hand....

ok, I had a response with a bunch more quesitons....but as I was about to hit POST, i realized this is thread jacking :) So I'll post a new thread somewhere or just read about it. :)

But to damarble or anyone that can answer, what software is that running? (what's on the screen in the last pic). And how did you get broadcast radio into the PC, or did you?

Don't reconize what software he's running, different one than what I use.

As for getting the sound thru, there's a few different ways, one is an FM modulator (not good quality though), some stock radio's and many aftermarket headunit's have an aux input jack you can plug the computer into, and some people don't use a headunit at all and go straight from the computer's line out jacks to amps. On mine I have an aftermarket headunit with an aux in jack.

So If You skip the Headunit, is there hardware for the PC to handle the AM/FM ?

I do see a headunit in that picture, on the floor. at least that's what it looks like. So I wonder if damarble did it that way.

Yup, there is hardware to handle FM radio (not positive on AM but I would assume so) and also to handle satilite radio on the computer.

Yeah, I saw the factory headunit there, just wasn't sure if it's actualy hooked up or is completely disconected and just happens to still be sitting there on the floor.

To address a couple questions:

As of right now I don't have AM/FM. I'm not using the headunit at all, and I didn't buy a radio tuner for the PC, because I don't listen to FM anymore anyway. There's no good stations in my area, so I never hear what I want. :p I plan to get Sirius Satelite radio some time, but for now I'm content with my extensive MP3 collection.

Most everything laying there on the floor is the stock crap that's getting thrown out. I got a nice set of Infinity Kappa's for the front from a member here. As I relisten to my playlists I'm amazed at how much I've been missing with stock speakers, the music is so much more vibrant and "full". It's like the transition from having your desktop at 256 colors then 32bit. :)

The program (aka frontend) I have running is RoadRunner, with a skin called RR5K, made by a guy on mp3car.com.

And as far as theft concerns, for now I'm just throwing a old shirt over it. But later this week I'm having the windows tinted, and it sits low enough I doubt it will be very visible at all. Even with no tint you have to do a double take to notice it. By the end of the year I'll have a car alarm installed, the one I'm looking at has a pager that works up to 1/4 mile (IIRC) so if some crackhead does try to break in I'll come running and break him in. ;)

sounds like your spending a lot on a car when you are planning on getting a new one.... :)

My moms friend has a german car loaned from work with a built in mac. I have never got to really look at it since I dont even know the lady, but from the glance I saw of it, it looks similar to how you have it set up.

Looks great! If I ever get the money needed to do this, I might put one in my bimmer. I have the perfect spot for it too; I would just loose my sunglasses holder and OBC (on-board computer ironically). My OBC is useless though since the previous owner cheaped out and bought the 7 button version. It only tells me the time & outside temperature which apparently is always -35 f. Anyway, have fun with the neon!

This is very interesting. I have talked with my dad about how cool it would be to have a computer in the car for music, but... have it with a wireless nic that way he can dump mp3s on the car computer from the house.

Well, ive read some of the things youve all said abotu hard drives, so i figured id tell a little somthing about HDs from personal experience

I was riding in a car a couple weeks ago with a daredevil friend, my laptop and USB hard drive. While testing out his new car( audi TT roadster) we hit probally the hardest and fastest bump ive ever hit, a huge pothole while going 40mph, dont worry the car was undamaged. There was a large file being transfered, and it flew into the dash.. Amazingly, there was no cosmetic damage to the case, nor any internal damage. HD worked fine, and the file continued to transfer.I wish I could say so for my laptop... which was demolshed cosmetecally. so, point here, desktop hard drives can handle some damage.

leon123 said:
sounds like your spending a lot on a car when you are planning on getting a new one.... :)

I guess I need to do some more updating to the first post. Everything that I had in the old car has been transfered to the new car, so no money invested in the old car.

Oroka Sempai said:
... have it with a wireless nic that way he can dump mp3s on the car computer from the house.

Make sure you get a good one or booster intennae. I tried a cheapie CompUSA brand USB wireless adapter and I can't get a signal about maybe 50 ft from my router.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
so, point here, desktop hard drives can handle some damage.

Ha! Always suspected it. Good to hear your report.

I want to put some more pix up but I'm waiting on a "carbon fiber" overlay for my HVAC controls. I think it got lost in the mail, so I got to get it figured out with the seller. Also I got the windows tinted, looks really nice and keeps all the glare of the LCD screen. Never once since I got the tint has the screen been unreadable. So I'll get some exterior shots and the finshed interior. Still trying to sort out what sub/amp combo I'm going to use, I need to get new seat covers since the PO had kids (and kids and cars do not mix well! :rolleyes: ), I'm looking for a decent body kit that doesn't look ricy, and I need some black wheels. Then she's done. (yeah right, I'm sure I'll find more stuff I want done)

And thanks again for all the comments guys!

Last edited:
Oroka Sempai said:
This is very interesting. I have talked with my dad about how cool it would be to have a computer in the car for music, but... have it with a wireless nic that way he can dump mp3s on the car computer from the house.

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. If you get an amplified antenna like damarble said, you could possibly drive around the city hitting internet access here and there. And you couuld park in a parking lot next to a wifi spot (or outside of someones house :) ) and use the internet :)

Sounds cool!

Another idea might be to get one of thsoe wireless broadband cards used in laptops (I think they must be like expresscards or something, since they offered one with my Dell E1705). You could then find a PCI>Expresscard or PCMCIA and use it. Then you have internet access in your car. That would be pretty darned sweet.

Or I guess if you live in one of the few cities trying out WiMAX, that would work too.

Man, then you could use one of the music streaming services like Napster or Rhapsody and have an almost unlimited supply of music. (makes me think how cool that could be for DJing. Never not having a requested song again!)

Another sweet idea would be to get one of those mobile Satellite TV antennas, Like this: http://www.raysat.com/Shopping/CategoryInfo.aspx?CategoryID=192

But those are a ltitle too big for a car. But for an SUV it'ld be sweet. and I see that they also have Internet antennas like thsoe Sat TV antennas

Man the things you could do if you were rich :)

Back