• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling 10 years ago

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look for them thideras (if you have the time). And thanks for the originals! I can imagine a bunch of guys from the team would enjoy the trip down memory lane. It really was a special time for me & maybe others, especially those of us overclocking Prescott CPUs (me still on socket 478!), and moving to the awesome new Core2Duo. I had a pair of x1800xt's running crossfire back then - before CrossfireX, which explains my avatars with the crossover cable. At one point I actually forgot the E6600 did not run at 3.6GHz base clock. Lol. Good times!!!
I attached the original PSD file and a few old watercooling photos I have kicking around. The backgrounds are on different layers, along with different layers for the member colors.

pic1small.jpg
My first water cooled system, which was poorly done. It was a dual socket IWILL DN-800 (?) with 2x 604 Xeon single core processors and a huge 2gb of RAM.

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg
Redone Xeon 604 build.

smallpic2.jpg
Abit AW9D-Max with a 7800GTX

IMG_0629.jpg
AW9D-Max with an air cooled 8800GTS.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg
8800GTS 640MB graphics card, stripped and heatsinked for watercooling.

IMG_0904.jpg
Same AW9D-Max with a lapped processor, which we don't see done too much anymore.

Attachments

• logo1.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
I found one more old photo, this one from about 13 years ago. Holy cow, look at that water block! There's a Prescott (Press-hot) CPU under that funny looking water block.

watercooled+Prescott.jpg

Batboy I found my video cards in the basement. You're right, one is an x1900XT and the other is an x1900TX crossfire. I'll post pics in your video card thread when I get a chance to take a few pictures.

Seems several of us were running the Abit AW9D-Max. Good board even with its FSB limitations of the chipset (or was that just my overclocking skill limitations - lol). My Abit board is in the basement too, along with my GSkill D9GMH ram. It's a shame they aren't still making us enthusiast motherboards.

Rummaging through some old spares of mine today and found this....

An old Innovatek GPU block which was still sitting brand new in its box unused....:D

Obviously not a full cover block as those things were unheard of back then.

Paper receipt shows that I purchased it in 2002...!

Innovatek Block.jpg

Here's a few of my rigs. If you look at my monitor, you can clearly see what forum I was in back in those days ;)

I have more pics but can't seem to remember where they're stored.

*Edit*
Ooops, forgot to post up my very first attempt at watercooling with the help of Pinky. It's were it all started :D
http://www.overclockers.com/the-nebulous-cube/
Fond memory! Now I see this monstrosity and think, in my best inner Denis Leary voice, "n e b giant f^&$ing Cube"

Modern water cooling components are so much better looking than they used to be some years ago. Still, they are so much more expensive. A good-looking custom water loop costs as much as a whole PC nowadays. I was browsing some parts recently, thinking about a custom loop, and only fittings would cost $200 :censored:

Here's my Abit rig right after the 2008 Forum Wars. I blew up the PSU at the end but luckily finished everything. That's a pair of HD3870 single slots on the floor, and my rad & pump were in that plastic tub (I haz a bucket). The tub would go out the window in the winter. lol The HDDs are 3 Raptors in RAID0. :)

View attachment 192459

View attachment 192463

Ghetto RAM and NB cooling...

View attachment 192460

Avatars from 10 years ago !!! I can't believe I still have these gifs!
View attachment 192461 View attachment 192462
Wow, there's a blast from the past. I put that rig back together recently with the raptors in raid0 & E6600. I put the X1900CF & X1900XT in it because I only have one HD3870, gave the other to a friend. I still use that thermaltake fan (loudest thing in the case) for RAM cooling. lol

Goodness things were so crude 20 years ago. Really was the wild west for creativity and pioneering, where now watercooling is very civilized in comparison.

Still have my Swiftech MCW462 block. Anodized aluminum cover on top of a flat copper plate, using a flat gasket for a seal. Corroded to crap now, but hey, the pressure drop on that block was near zero!

Goodness things were so crude 20 years ago. Really was the wild west for creativity and pioneering, where now watercooling is very civilized in comparison.

Still have my Swiftech MCW462 block. Anodized aluminum cover on top of a flat copper plate, using a flat gasket for a seal. Corroded to crap now, but hey, the pressure drop on that block was near zero!
Crude is about right. I do recall a lot of ball scratching taking place (me scratching my own balls, not... nevermind).

Ah the good old days.
I dont think I have any pics of my rigs back then but man they were a constant menagerie of DIY randomness.
Modified pond pumps, block tops I made on my own make shift mill, DIY bong coolers, and so much more!

Back