• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weighing my options..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

Hey guys, I am in sort of a pickle here. I was planning to build a new rig some time in the winter which was most likely going to be with a Q6600. However, I just started reading up on the latest hardware and found that the Nehalem processors are going to be released. Dah. My options are either to wait till they release a processor in the $200-$250 range if it’s any time soon and build a rig by then, simply go with the Q6600 build, or make a Q6600 build with a cheaper but less upgradable mobo knowing full well that the next cpu upgrade is gonna be with a new mobo with a diff socket (so screw paying more for a mobo with more upgradability right?)

For the third option, I was thinking this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

As opposed to this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136038

Please gimme some feedback! Thanks!

Honestly, I'd suggest waiting for the "tock" again. Tick = conroe, 65nm. Tock = wolfdale/yorkfield, 45nm.

The difference between the two is immense, not many people hit 4.0 on 65nm and 4.0 is *expected* on wolfdale. I'll wait for the die shrink :)

Mmm how long do you think that would be? Sorry I really haven't been paying to hardware much ever since I built my first rig in my sig =(. Been to poor to make upgrades looking at new hardware just made me sad because I knew I couldn't get my hands on em.

I'd go with building a new "non-Nehalem" rig for now. The hardware out now is tried, tested, and true. The new stuff will start out being ultra expensive, and the technology won't be as fine tuned as it should be (or at least that's what I assume). Personally, I've never been a fan of buying the "latest and greatest" when it first comes out (that goes for most electronics, even stuff like XBOX 360, PS3, etc.). Too many bugs for my taste. I suggest you test the waters some and find out what others say...in the mean time, build a kickass budget rig. I'm eventually going to build a Nehalem PC, but probably not for at least 2 years.

Between the mobos you listed, if you're on a tight budget, I'd go with the Gigabyte. 1) because you may go Nehlalem within the next year, 2) you can use the money saved to put towards a better CPU, GPU, or RAM, and 3) for what you get, it looks like bang for the buck winner is the Gigabyte. But you can't wrong though...the Blood Iron is supposed to kick major ***.

Last edited:
Mmm how long do you think that would be? Sorry I really haven't been paying to hardware much ever since I built my first rig in my sig =(. Been to poor to make upgrades looking at new hardware just made me sad because I knew I couldn't get my hands on em.
I honestly have no idea, not even sure Intel does. :beer:

Thanks for the input guys! Now I was thinking...I am now looking at the e8400 and am hoping to OC it to 4ghz =). Hoping this would keep me covered for the next 1-2 yrs. What do you guys think about this idea over the Q6600? And also would the Gigabyte give me any issues getting 4ghz?

If you are going to be primarily gaming, get the e8400/e3110 (same chip). The only reason for the quad is if you are going to be doing a ton of video editing or something that maxes out multiple cores.

Back