• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird dialup problem... can you help me out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Hey guys

I have tried everything and I can't figure out why my uncle gets kicked off his dialup connection.

Background: Completely new system built by me. About 2 weeks old, completely updated with SP2 and all other updates. Bought an internal modem from Best Buy, installed it, works fine.

Problem: Stays connected for 10 or 20 mins and then kicks them off, even when downloading or viewing webpages. ISP says it's spyware, which is BS because I checked and there isn't any. I'm completely lost. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help...

Make sure you are disabling call waiting when the modem dials.

Also, you used to be able to call your phone company and have them do a line noise check on your phone line; sometimes they would find some wiring problems or degraded cables that were causing connection problems like this.

Alternatively, get him to spend $29.99 a month and hook him up with DSL.

Could be you need to sending "Pings" upstream to your network while doing your downloads/Web Browsing, otherwise your connection is treated as "Idle" and got disconnected. Did you try the Properties in your Dial-up, there should be a drop-down menu saying "Do you want pinging your network" continuously so that your connection is being treated as connected. Enable that and try again.

Regards

Even if it was showing idle, most ISPs give you a 30-40min window before it drops you. You may want to test your phone line see if there is any interference going on there (though I am expecting it to be on server-side and they don't want to mess with it).

Back