• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird problems when overclocking fx-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentonius

Registered
I hope this is the right place to post this. I had used the auto overclock that came with my motherboard but once it gets to a certain point (seems random when it happens), my monitor goes black and it just sits there forever. i have to force the power off and then hit the cmos button on the back to get it to work again.

so ive started trying to manually overclock after reading about it for a long time. but anytime i try to change the multiplier or frequency when i save and go into windows my mouse isnt detected. so then i have to shut down and hit cmos and it looks like that resets my overclock i had just tried.

Edit - weird problem has been solved... now im just working on getting the OC as stable as i can.

i have:
ASUS crosshair V motherboard
AMD FX-8120 cpu
Corsair H80 for cooling
2x Radeon 6870 video cards in crossfire
Raidmax 850w psu
16GB(4gbx4) Corsair 1600mhz Ram
Corsair wired mouse, i dont remember which model exactly.

Any help would be great... i cant seem to find anything about this.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem using a wireless mouse...
The top 2 ports (where you would normally connect keyboard/mouse) on the Crosshair 5 are actually USB3 ports.

Moving the keyboard/mouse to USB2 ports lower on the on the backplate solved my problems. You might want to try it... :D

so i moved the mouse to a different slot, seems to have worked for now. i had tried moving it before but it turns out i moved it to the other usb 3.0 slots lol. i checked the usb legacy settings and they were both enabled (for regular usb and usb 3.0).

does anyone know why overclocking would disable my usb 3.0 ports? i dont currently have anything plugged into them, but i'd like them to work if i need them.

thanks for the help so far

Overclocking doesn't disable the USB3's, it just makes them a little touchy with USB2 deivices. Especially Mice and Keyboards... :-/

My rig is pretty heavily OC'd and the 3.0 ports run @ full speed with proper devices.

on my crosshair v with an fx 8120 the auto tune is a joke and ai suite corrupts everything, use the bios only!!!

mouse and key board go into the usb 2.0 ports( black in color).

I did A complete reinstall with a new hard drive.
I even went to the asus site and tried the suite from the site and it still gave problems.

Last edited:
on my crosshair v with an fx 8120 the auto tune is a joke and ai suite corrupts everything, use the bios only!!!

Really???
Did you start with a fresh OS when you installed the C5F?

I use AI Suite (Turbo Evo) all the time, I'm always swapping parts around and I've never had it corrupt anything... :eh?:
If you push too hard, it may slow down, or worst case stop responding. If that happens just open taskmanager and stop the application.

I agree that auto tune is a joke, and bios is the best way to get your final settings, but Turbo Evo can be quite useful for roughing in your gear...

Anyway, back OT... :D

brentonius:
You didn't mention your cooling, but whatever it is you'll need to keep an eye on temps (this is especially true with the box cooler).
Use HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and make sure you keep the CPU temps <70c and core temps <56c, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
Some chips are even less tolerant to temps, but I'd say if you go over these most chips will get squirley... :p

Here are the most important settings to change in bios when oc'ing.
This screen cap is from a Sabertooth, but it's the same (and functions the same) on the C5F:

111017004243.jpg

A couple notes on this bios SS:
If you can keep temps in check, raising the "Current Capability" on the CPU and CPU/NB to 130% may help stabilize your OC.

Also, this SS uses "Offset Mode" for voltage adjustments, which means it adds small voltage bumps to the v's set by AMD for your chip.
Manual Mode has the drawback of not allowing your voltage to drop when switching P-States (including CnQ).
You'll probably want to use "Offset Mode" so your system can lower voltage with CnQ... :)

BTW: Disable CnQ in bios until you get things stable, once you've gotten stability turn it back on. :cool:

Hope this helps,
Dave

Last edited:
daveburt, how did you get the screensot of your bios?

that's awesome!!!! it works on both my crosshair and my sabertooth!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey CD .... you need to insert a usb stick into usb port ...... press F12 and it will ask you if you want to save to the USB stick hit enter and it is done.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 110
i got things stable now. sitting at 4.525 ghz. im using the corsair h80 for cooling. temps are good, 36 idle temp and about 46 after playing battlefield 3 for an hour or 2.

i'm using LinX for stability testing, i have OCCT also but i havent tried it yet.

1gq5xd.png.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you've got yourself a decent 8120 there brentonius!
Good clocks, low v's and sweet temps... :thup:

EDIT: Not sure what your IMC (CPU/NB) is running at, but 1.283v is a little high.
Most chips are good in the 1.185 - 1.225 range, you can probably lower that... ;)
Although I don't think 1.283 is risky.

Last edited:
i havent messed with cpu/nb really except once and my computer froze up pretty quick so i just put it back to auto. so i think its at like 2200mhz right now. i actually dropped it down to an even 4.0ghz for now too since when i run OCCT my stuff heats up pretty fast. within the first couple minutes my temps are getting near 60c. the core temps are usually around 50 when the cpu temp hits 60.

Yes these FX chips generate some heat. I've been down that road myself. @ 4GHZ you should have no reason to OC your CPU/NB you can get a bit better OC with a slight bump up to about 2.4 - 2.5 GHZ on your CPU / NB with about 1.25v if you decide to push your chip more later. Speaking from experience good case ventalation and cooling is necessary though you can see what I mean HERE. Your temps are not so bad ..... 60*C for CPU Socket and 50*C core are pretty good for a 4.5GHZ OC which is a nice OC.

Back