• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weirdest computer issue I've encountered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not gonna do LN2, but I'm building a custom water loop, something like a vapochill could happen in the future.

so what would you suggest?

are all the ROG boards strictly for Ln2? because I see lots of people with them regardless.

the ROG boards all have some feature (which name escapes me atm) that allows them to swap unused clocks on currently unused hardware automatically, where as you'd have to disable them manually otherwise. That and the obvious construction quality is what I was going for, my goal is 5 ghz stable on my 2600k (I've done 4.8 on air bench stable, on a single loop it should be cake)

so what would you suggest?

are all the ROG boards strictly for Ln2? because I see lots of people with them regardless.

the ROG boards all have some feature (which name escapes me atm) that allows them to swap unused clocks on currently unused hardware automatically, where as you'd have to disable them manually otherwise. That and the obvious construction quality is what I was going for, my goal is 5 ghz on my 2600k (I've done 4.8 on air, on a single loop it should be cake)

What do you mean by that?

I've got a ROG board, and there's no difference (excluding a bucketload of voltages and memory timings that I have no idea about) on overclocking between my current MVG and my old P67 Extreme4. In fact, I only upgraded to the MVG because it was the cheapest Z77 available at my e-tailer, and needed my computer back up*.

* My P67 experienced something similar to your BIOS problems, ASR supplied me with a beta BIOS that did not work as expected, and then ran away. I managed to fix it with a 5450. It refused to post with nVidia cards. I don't know why.

Yeah I don't care about all the extra voltage controls, I'm not going for super benches or anything. I just want something that will give me a solid stable overclock on my 2600k, and not give me the issues my current board is (hopefully).

I'm open to suggestions on boards, I'd like to do some more research.

I need at least 3 PCI-E slots preferably with lots of space. The coolers on my 580's are huge.

Yeah I don't care about all the extra voltage controls, I'm not going for super benches or anything. I just want something that will give me a solid stable overclock on my 2600k, and not give me the issues my current board is (hopefully).

I'm open to suggestions on boards, I'd like to do some more research.

I need at least 3 PCI-E slots preferably with lots of space. The coolers on my 580's are huge.

If you really need 3 PCI-E slots: Z77 Extreme6

Else: Z77 Extreme4

Now, I would rant about how ASRock's TSD sucks. But, hey, I remember when I had some memory problems (with memory on the QVL) with my Crosshair III Formula. All the Tech Support Departments I've dealt with (excluding Corsair and G.Skill, they're a little piece of heaven, great job guys) had the same problems.

Hmm.

I'd be lying if I said going asrock didn't worry me.

I'd like to eventually get a physX card, something basic like a 9800GT, thats the need for the 3 slots and lots of space.

Hmm.

I'd be lying if I said going asrock didn't worry me.

I'd like to eventually get a physX card, something basic like a 9800GT, thats the need for the 3 slots and lots of space.

OK. Do you have any game, that you play a lot, and that abuses PhysX?

You have a 580 SLI. You don't need a PhysX card IMHO. Unless that PhysX card is perpetually folding for T32.

EDIT: About ASR, yea, it also worried me at first. But it seems, since they got out of ASUS's grasp they've improved. I've already installed two builds with motherboards built by them (my server and an APU A75 build)

my big games atm are planetside 2 (does use physx), skyrim which I don't think does, and LOL which I know doesn't.

doesn't mean I won't pick up more later, and folding is a possibility too, once I get all these issues worked out and my loop started.

So due to time constraints, I decided to go with the z77 Sabertooth.

It has everything I need (and wasn't as expensive as the ROG boards ^^)

Lets hope that fixes my issues, I'm tired of replacing parts already.

fwiw asrock have been some of the best boards i have had i still have my p45x3 deluxe its a beast overclocker :) even lived through me putting a ram stick in backwards and blowing smoke everywhere.... dont ask i was way too drunk to be benching on dice. lol

I've heard good things recently about them. If I have trouble with this z77 sabertooth I'm just gonna send it back and look at gigabyte or asrock.

So new board and memory installed. The rebooting issue is fixed!

However, now I have a new issue.

I can't get SLI to enable on the new board, like at all.

If I put either card in slot 1, and the other in slot 2, it doesn't detect the 2nd GPU. If I put either card in slot 1, and the other in slot 3 with a longer bridge, it detects the card but doesn't give me the option to enable SLI in the control panel.

Any ideas

I've heard nightmares related to the Sabertooth and some multi-GPU set-ups. Excluding good looks I don't really understand your choice. The Sabertooth heat shield is basically a great way of overheating the components by preventing the free air from flowing through the components. That creates the need for 40mm whining fans.

And then, the BIOS bugs they are having with Sabertooth.

Just for kicks and giggles try outside the case. And do not install a SLI bridge or boot into Windows. Use a Linux live CD and paste the output of:

Code:
lspci | grep NV

So it was a bad board.

The new one is installed, and SLI is working. :)

Something of note though, with the swap to 2133 memory, I'm having to run my CPU on 1.29 vcore to get the same overclock as before. I was 1.19 earlier, but even at the higher vcore, temps are way better.

Back