• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, I just did the VDD Mod on my AN7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cetoole

I would like to thank Micutzu for finding this mod, it really seems to help. I am still testing, but I seem to be able to do 245 fsb with 2x256 BH-5 and 240 with 2x512, which is a big improvement. While it is still not enough, this should help me feel better about my AN7. I did the mod with a 25 turn 25K trimmer, which gives me a much higher range of voltages available, but I have not tested above 1.9v because my cooling is not adequate yet. I have a Thermalright NB-1c coming soon that will let me try higher voltages, but for now, I am quite happy.
Here is the board without any mods:
VDDlocation2.jpg
The vdd mod, easier than I was expecting:
VDDMod2.jpg
And the final picture of all of the mods I did today:
TheMods.jpg

thanks, I really need to get my OCZ powerstream in to see what it is capable of, as I have found that my current TT480 is defintely limiting my OC.

Did you adjust the pots inside your PSU? I have a Tt 480W with adjustable +12 & +5 rails that I turned up......Runs my duallie just fine.

I have a powerstream 520 sitting here, and I couldn't find the pots when I opened it up.

Bummer, probably could have tweaked it more to a acceptable level instead of getting a new psu, although the +3.3 would have to be ok as well (without turning up the pot). O well, from what I see, you should like that new PSU a lot!

It was a christmas present, and I didn't like running the system in my sig+4hdd+3optical drives+3 capture cards, 1 with a hardware encoder and 1 HDTV card with hardware decode and output+fans+a pump soon+a couple other things on that psu.

Hey There Cetoole!

I've searched all over for Micutzu's Vdd Mod...
http://micutzu20.home.ro/an7vdd.htm
but all the links to it are dead? I don't suppose you have an active link to it? or if you know where I can get instruction of performing the An7 Vdd mod?

if not, I would really appreciate if you could give me a little bit more detailed explanation of the mod..

I've been following Harlam357's thread very closely where you and he are pushing your AN7's, I'm trying to get a better OC on my AN7 too... Stop by and take a look as that thread has been revived.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=341343&page=3

TIA

Careful with those TT PSU's. They droop like a mutha under load! They get hot too when not even fully loaded.

That Powerstream 520 ADJ is a much better PSU. It runs as cool as can be. I switched from a TT to the 520ADJ myself. Best move I ever made. I was limited to 3808MHz with the TT. After installing my 520ADJ I went instantly to 4.0GHz which I already knew my CPU had in it. The 520 is much more stable.

TT is a decent PSU for stock systems, but I wouldn't load one heavy over a long period. They've been known to let the smoke out, and they also are infamous for the protection circuitry failing. Bad news for hardware. Mine got so hot during benches it was scary, and is why I replaced it.

The TT 430 i had goes for 39 bucks at the egg. The 520ADj goes for 139. That should tell you something. :)

Darien said:
Hey There Cetoole!

I've searched all over for Micutzu's Vdd Mod...
http://micutzu20.home.ro/an7vdd.htm
but all the links to it are dead? I don't suppose you have an active link to it? or if you know where I can get instruction of performing the An7 Vdd mod?

if not, I would really appreciate if you could give me a little bit more detailed explanation of the mod..

I've been following Harlam357's thread very closely where you and he are pushing your AN7's, I'm trying to get a better OC on my AN7 too... Stop by and take a look as that thread has been revived.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=341343&page=3

TIA
Yeah, Micutzu is moving his page, so all pics are broken for now, but he is gonna email me the pics and I will post them here. Basically, it is a 25k pot between the 2 points shown, set initially for maximum resistance (25k). Lower resistance to increase vdd. Good luck with your AN7.

Yeah thx, I'd appreciate it...

my local Radio Shack doesn't carry 25k Pot's... but they have 10k and 100k 15 turn Pot's... I doubt either those would work though??? or would they?

Thx for any help, much appreciated!

Well, got the pics, the mod is really quite easy, and yes, I definitly think you should do it with a 25k pot, thought higher resistance ones should work the same, except you will never use them at higher resistance values. As for the mod, just connect the pot between the two appropriate legs, with it initially set for 25k.
VDDlocationHighlights.jpg
mod2.png
Good luck, and feel free to contact me with any further info.

WOW! Thx so much for the quick reply... VERY helpful... but if I'm not mistaken, didn't you also solder it to a grounding point, I believe you used the top of that cylinder just below the PCI slot?

Man bums me out, wish I knew where I could get a 25k Pot around here...

So let me get this straight, you think if I did this with a 100k Pot, then it should work right? at a full 100K there would be very little juice, maybe even too little... but If I set the Pot to 25K, testing it with my multi-meter, THEN connect it too the mobo it 'should' work just fine correct? ofcourse each turn of the pot from that point on would be add more juice than each turn from a 25k Pot, but it should work?

what do you think? give me an honest opinion as you have MUCH more experience with electronics than I do.

thx again

Darien said:
WOW! Thx so much for the quick reply... VERY helpful... but if I'm not mistaken, didn't you also solder it to a grounding point, I believe you used the top of that cylinder just below the PCI slot?

So let me get this straight, you think if I did this with a 100k Pot, then it should work right? at a full 100K there would be very little juice, maybe even too little... but If I set the Pot to 25K, testing it with my multi-meter, THEN connect it too the mobo it 'should' work just fine correct? ofcourse each turn of the pot from that point on would be add more juice than each turn from a 25k Pot, but it should work?

what do you think? give me an honest opinion as you have MUCH more experience with electronics than I do.

thx again

correct.

I think one of the legs of the IC's you solder to are a ground point (either the Q36 or the LM358)

Darien said:

thx again
Not sure what cylinder you are talking about, but there are only 2 connection points on this mod. If I remember correctly, all the mod does is inject extra voltage from the 12v rail, attentuated by the pot, into the vdd circuitry, so at 0 ohms, you would be giving the chipset 12v, and like you were thinking, 100k ohm would give very little voltage increase. As for the 25k pot, I dont know what to say, I ordered mine online, along with other electrical parts I needed, probably for an amp. What you describe with the 100k pot set at 25k before soldering it in is correct, and you are right, there will be a little less control, unless you get a pot with higher turn count. Really, I dont have that much experience with electronics yet, I am still learning, and everything I do is following guides.

cetoole said:
Not sure what cylinder you are talking about, but there are only 2 connection points on this mod. If I remember correctly, all the mod does is inject extra voltage from the 12v rail, attentuated by the pot, into the vdd circuitry, so at 0 ohms, you would be giving the chipset 12v, and like you were thinking, 100k ohm would give very little voltage increase. As for the 25k pot, I dont know what to say, I ordered mine online, along with other electrical parts I needed, probably for an amp. What you describe with the 100k pot set at 25k before soldering it in is correct, and you are right, there will be a little less control, unless you get a pot with higher turn count. Really, I dont have that much experience with electronics yet, I am still learning, and everything I do is following guides.
Take a look at the attached Pic, where I point out the wire I'm talking about...

but I got to thinking... we only want a 0.2-0.4v increase to the Vdd chipset.. with a total of 1.9 - 2.1v in the Vdd..... so.... why are we taking it from the 12v rail... geez, that's like taking a shotgun to swat a fly...

Maybe I"m missing something here.. but I think it would make much more sense to take it from the 3.3v rail...

I took my multimeter and checked the leg (solder point) from chip LM358 and it's 12V... feed through my POT with over 30k Ohms resistance, (more than the 25k pot) and I still have like 4v coming through... that's gonna fry my chipset faster than a marshmellow in a bonfire :-/

maybe I'm missing something here... but this doesn't sound right... please explain this to me... you said you did this correct? the pictures you are showing are from the mod you did on your comp?

How many volts came through your Pot. to the second solder point?

Thx again, sorry for so many questions, I'm just confused

Attachments

• VDDMod2.jpg
    VDDMod2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 657
Ah, you are looking at the remaining hot glue that I didnt get cleaned off, going from the pot to a cap (the big, round thing). I used that to hold the pot on, and yes, that is my mobo. The vdd at 25k ohm is about 1.7v, works great. You might want to do the mod with a jumper so you can "remove" the mod without doing any soldering, its quite easy to do and helps troubleshooting.

Back