• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wet PC lost dual channel. Is it the board or the CPu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

My ex-Roomie accidently had some sweet tea splash into his case, causing an instant shutdown.
Ive been helping him over the past week with soaking everything in alcohol and getting it cleaned up. Everything came back to life except for one issue. And this makes TWICE Ive seen this, on my current roomies PC and now my ex-Roomies PC. ....Strange I know... :screwy: ...only my current roomies pc started having issues out of the blue. No tea involved.

Nonetheless, my ex-Roomie soaked his parts in alcohol for 2 days and let them dry for 2 days.

Ex-Roomies Setup is:
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
PII 955 Black
4gb G.Skill memory.

The issue is, in all possible memory configurations that are physically feasable. (yes we tried them ALL)
Both memory sticks will only work in slots 1 and 3. Which is single channel mode. Dual channel mode requires that the memory sticks be in either slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. The memory sticks will work by themselves in either slots 1 and 3.

Does this sound like the board or the cpu?
He currently has no way of testing the parts in another pc, or testing other parts in his pc.

I ask this because, with my current Roomies setup, he was and still may be, having issues with dual channel on his pc. But only when his 955 is in his board, when we swap my Athlon II X4 in, its perfectly happy. Havent tried his 955 in my board yet. Will be doing more testing tommrow, he was ready to chuck it out the door earlier.

Current Roomies setup is,
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
955 Black
4gb OCZ DDR3 1800

Last edited:
For your ex Roomie its probably the board if the board got tea on it.

For your Roomie, if cpu swap makes the dual channel work, then when you put the 955 in your machine dual channel shouldnt work and then you can say it is the chip. It could also just be that cmos needed to be reset to.

Makes sense, just wanted some other opinions. Old rommie is coming in for new years with his rig. Havent swapped chips yet with my current roomie yet, was to busy watching Tron today. heh

Okay okay enough about the dang movie bro.... @ angry what about my computer......:cry:

When you get up here for New Years we will get it figured out. Either way, in the long run, something is probably going to be sent off. :screwy:

it wouldnt be the first time that switching to DUELing mode :), by using the correct slots, didnt boot up without some tweaking or adjustments. people have even sent back memory because it wouldnt work (in dual) . then they get some other that will, or it is timed different and would.

i remember situations way back even when people would just disable the intertwining of memory and avoiding that feature , because when it first came out there was trouble with it, and some chips and all.

So did it lose it because of the tea, or can it just be tweaked and voltaged and messed with , or replaced with some "different" memory , different meaning not nessisarily better or worse or differentally timed.

Back